iZotope display issues

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
PoliticalBonobo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

iZotope display issues

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

I've started using Neutron 2 Advanced and Ozone 8 Advanced in my projects, and noticed I can rarely get the spectrographs (such as in the EQ modules) to display smoothly. During playback, they will lag or freeze when more than just a few tracks are playing. Closing one of the DP windows (I usually display two at a time on dual screens) helps, and reducing the number of tracks displayed in the Sequence Editor helps. I really never have a ton of tracks in project (usually <20), so this seems a little ridiculous.

MOTU suggested I play with the Prime Milliseconds setting in DP. I lowered to 10ms. It seemed to help slightly, but not enough to actually make these plugins usable!

Anybody else encounter this?
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: iZotope display issues

Post by mikehalloran »

I don't have it on Windows but on the Mac, the Izotope GUIs can be CPU hogs. RX was the one that gave me the most grief, especially 2 and 3.

I set the plugs one at a time, make sure I have it right, close the window and move to the next.

After upgrading to 32G RAM and an i7 CPU with its floating processor unit, this stopped being much of an issue. Even still, old habits are hard to break—I never have Ozone, Neutron and RX windows open at the same time.

You would think that the GPU would have a big effect and maybe it has some but I've not experienced it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
rocky700

Post by rocky700 »

The iZotope display issue is happening on the Windows 10 as well as I have experienced that. I have just updated the Windows to the latest version but the issue of the display remains the same.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Perhaps I wasn’t clear. Open the one GUI you need. Make your adjustments. Close it before you open the next one.

More RAM and faster processors plus faster disk access (SSD instead of HDD; NVMe instead of SATA III etc.) will help.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
busle
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by busle »

sorry to have to revive an old thread as my first post in years...I'm back using DP, and loving lots of the new features, but this issue is making me wonder whether I've wasted money to rejoin the club.

has anyone found a better way to deal with this? I'm encountering the same issue across most of my VSTs (Native Instruments, Izotope, Waves, etc.). I've noticed it gets worse (or at least I encounter it more quickly) when using MAS plugins with any sort of metering/visual feedback.

this isn't just an 'upgrade your rig, and change your workflow' problem. I've got a fairly well-speced i7 6700, and after a few minutes in any session with more than a small handful of plugins, my VSTs become unusable during playback, even if only the one plugin I'm working on is currently open.

that's fine for some plugins, before I've committed anything to 'tape' (like an amp plug that I can dial in before I start tracking). but once I've gotten the track down, and want to start mixing, what then? an unresponsive GUI during playback makes mixing incredibly difficult--basically I have to guess what will sound good while playback is stopped, make those changes, play back, and hope I got it right, rinse, and repeat. obviously, that's sort of an idiotic way to have to work, and personally, I prefer my idiocy to be self-inflicted. :lol:

:smash:
dfeinman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by dfeinman »

Me too! Help!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

What happens after you reboot?

Besides rebooting and rereading my earlier posts about GUI management, I have no other advice.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Sorry to be of no real help, but AFAIK, some plugs are said *hogs*.
Whatever you do, they'll be hard on CPU load, and more when their windows are opened.

Depending on your DA audio interface, you'll set buffer as high as possible.
On my Behringer X-32, buffer set to 4096, instead of 2048, helps somewhat.

BTW Ozone 9, which I use very often, is known as one of those *hogs*.
But I just can't do serious job without it.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

If you have a dual graphics setup, try setting DP to use the different graphics processors to see if any better results. From a couple of other threads it looks like sometimes AMD cards can be problematic. You can set the graphics processor for DP in Settings --> System --> Display --> Graphics Settings (should be the last option on the Display settings page).
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1