SCAM or real deal

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by monkey man »

Aussies were alerted by the ABC yesterday to the fact that the Nigerian scam and spin-offs are on the rise again down under. :?

The word was that they're originating mostly from areas where chaos and warlords rule the roost.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Why the rush? And out of nowhere???

SCAM!

I'd bet he sent that out to a few hundred studios. If he gets access to the banking info on just a few, he can set himself up nicely.

If he is "real" then he can take the time to send you a money order. But the 'out of the blue' thing is a giveaway. IOW - STAY AWAY!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

The $5,000 will come and credit to your account. You send off $4,000 to England Dan, then the Money Order will turn out to be forged or otherwise fraudulent and the bank will debit your account $5k. You lose $4k. Just a guess, but one never knows... these guys will say anything, as evidenced here:

http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

SCAM bigtime!
bralston

Re: SCAM or real deal

Post by bralston »

BIG SCAM. I have some friends who have received that same email as well. Interesting that they seem to be targeting folks who would have the facilities though. Would take some research. It does not seem to be a simple mass email to everyone.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13