MSI freezes my computer

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

sunnanfjord
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MSI freezes my computer

Post by sunnanfjord »

When I run Symphonic Instrument, my computer starts to behave really strange. IF... I manage to load a preset, it works alright but with pretty sluggish performance. However, almost 50% of the times when I try to load a preset, the computer totally freezes (I can't even move the mouse) and I have to reset it. Everything else seems to work fine, including MachFive, SampleTank2, Arturias synths etc. The computer is a PC based on a Fatal1ity AA8XE motherboard (www.fatal1ty.com), 2GB DDR2 RAM, 3.2GHz Intel CPU, Cubase SX3 and a MOTU Traveler with the latest firmware. As I said, Symphonic Instrument is the only application that doesn't perform well. I don't have anything else loaded at the sam time, only one instance of MSI. I've tried all the buffer sizes up to 1024, but nothing makes any difference. Usually I have the buffer size at 256 and it works great with everything else, even pretty big projects.

It doesn't matter what preset I choose, it can freeze at anytime. I haven't activated the convolution reverb so it can't be that either.Does anyone have a clue what can be causing this?

Best regards
Daniel Sunnanfjord
ipi

Post by ipi »

Well you'll have to know that MSI does NOT work with Windows at all...
I tried to use it on a Windows machine and nope...

On the Mac on the other hand sluggish as well.........

thats the way it is.
Sorry
I"ll see you on the dark side of the moon...
sunnanfjord

Post by sunnanfjord »

I've tried MSI on a totally different PC setup now and I get the exact same problem! Very annoying... I have even tried to move the MSI.dat file to the same folder as the MSI.dll file instead of just hving a shortcut to it, but it doesn't make any difference. I just can't get this to work!?

/Daniel Sunnanfjord
Last edited by sunnanfjord on Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
sunnanfjord

Post by sunnanfjord »

Do you get the same problem as I do or another problem?

/Daniel Sunnanfjord
Last edited by sunnanfjord on Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ipi

Post by ipi »

I had to take it back to the store, no you wont find a solution to your problem, MOTU support... not good.
They lost time asking me about my system and yadda yadda knowing this baby aint working with Windows.

As it turns out not on the Mac it isnt great either.
I installed it on the Mac to see if it worked it did... but so slowly.
Noise on the samples...
Ugh...

GET RID OF IT
springuy

Post by springuy »

ipi wrote:I had to take it back to the store, no you wont find a solution to your problem, MOTU support... not good.
They lost time asking me about my system and yadda yadda knowing this baby aint working with Windows.

As it turns out not on the Mac it isnt great either.
I installed it on the Mac to see if it worked it did... but so slowly.
Noise on the samples...
Ugh...

GET RID OF IT
Well...
All I can say is :
It works fine on both my PC and my Mac, even on my powerbook but I can't use the convolution reverb with this one...
Anyway, I heard of PC problems but it seems related to the iLok...
MSI is freezing sometimes when loading an instrument.
I hope an update will be there soon for you guys so you can enjoy this plug as much as I do...
MAC/PC musician.Logic pro on Mac, SX3 on PC.
abdel
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by abdel »

Same here! It freezes my PC alot. When I finally get it to work, the sound is very distorted even when I turn the volume knobs down. I e-mailed tech support 4 days ago and still have not heard from. My guitar center dealer told me he called motu and was told they were not aware of the problem and that I can not return it. If I don't get an answer from motu by tomorrow, I will call visa and stop payment! I hate to be a jerk but, busineess is business!
abdel

Post by abdel »

Same here! It freezes my PC alot. When I finally get it to work, the sound is very distorted even when I turn the volume knobs down. I e-mailed tech support 4 days ago and still have not heard from. My guitar center dealer told me he called motu and was told they were not aware of the problem and that I can not return it. If I don't get an answer from motu by tomorrow, I will call visa and stop payment! I hate to be a jerk but, busineess is business!
ipi

Post by ipi »

Just stop the payment NOW!
If they complain a court will find your case most interesting.

MOTU did not do their job and they're not doing it now.

I'm completely disappointed by their lack of respect towards Windows users (it's not a MAC - WINDOWS wolrd anymore) they don't realise a lot of their customers use BOTH platforms to get their work going.

cheers.
sunnanfjord

Post by sunnanfjord »

I got it working now and I must say it's mindblowing. It's wrong to say MOTU did not do their job. They solved the problem for me. This problem has nothing to do with Symphonic Instrument, it's a problem with the ILok key. I have both MachFive and Symphonic Instrument and what I did was to update the ILok drivers to the latest release from www.paceap.com and transfer the license for MachFive to the ilok for Symphonic Instrument, so that both of the licenses is in the same ilok. Then it's just to unplug the ilok that you don't use if you have several iloks in your computer. (You can transfer licenses at www.ilok.com.) Now it works excellent and I'm stunned over the quality of this library.

My tip is to try the above solution and see if it works. It worked for me and that's thanks to MOTU support.

/Daniel Sunnanfjord
meeloo

Post by meeloo »

ipi wrote:(it's not a MAC - WINDOWS wolrd anymore) they don't realise a lot of their customers use BOTH platforms to get their work going.

cheers.
To the contrary, I believe they realize that very well. Actually that's the point of giving you a dongle that works equally on both platform. Concerning the freeze problem, it seems to be related to the way the protection works on some computers. This is seriously being looked into.
I hope you will soon be able to enjoy the software and sounds, as many others already do.
Last edited by meeloo on Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ipi

Post by ipi »

I apologise then.
If MOTU are right and I'm wrong please forget my misdirected comments
abdel

Post by abdel »

Finally, motu email me back and got it to work. (so, I won't be calling VISA) The Ilok was to blame but, how in the world am I supposed to know that? When things don't work, the first thing most of us do is go the manufacturer website and hope they have an answer or at least acknowledge the existence of such issue. Motu site still has no such posting.
sangala

freeze problem, seems to be related to the protection

Post by sangala »

Do you know what kind of PC protection gets into a conflict with MSI? Do you have a HP machine? I'm having the same problem for over a week now. I even reinstalled the XP System, removed all the "junk" that HP comes with. Installed the MSI from the scratch....but....Oh, Not Again". I'm using almost identical system with Traveler and can't get over the freeze-ups.
The MOTU Tec support is very good if you get in hold of them, same as the sale folks...Finally, but my frustrations ended....I returned the MSI.

Regards,

Dave
nightcruiser

Post by nightcruiser »

I am running into the same problem on a brand new HP xw4300 workstation running XP. MSI freezes the system completely every time I load a reverb. I am using it with Sonar Producer 4.

I am going to try the iLok driver update, but it does seem frustrating that MOTU has nothing about this on their site.

nc