DP10 speculation?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
williemyers
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP10 speculation?

Post by williemyers »

hey all,

as we pass the 3-year mark on DP9 - - June '15, I think? - - I'm just wondering if/when you all think we might actually see DP10?

does anybody know an actual employee/beta-tester who, while not confirming the contents of it, could confirm that a DP10 is actually "in the works"?

there have been tons a excellent suggestions made here and, I'm sure, on MOTU's FB page, for improvements, added features and some (long-overdue) fixes to old problems.

come to think of it, when was the last time that they (MOTU) showed a new "DP in development" at NAMM?

anyway, I just thought it would be interesting to get another "what's up w/DP10?" thread going. seems like we haven't had one for about a year! :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=63183&start=15
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: DP10 speculation?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I already have my DP X! I use it to have a more natural rhythm... Oh wait, I meant...

Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

:lol: :lol: :lol: !!
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

DP9.5 was such a big update with the ZTX pitch and stretch functions (and free!), that I suspect there will be a bit of a wait for DP10.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

cuttime wrote:DP9.5 was such a big update with the ZTX pitch and stretch functions (and free!), that I suspect there will be a bit of a wait for DP10.
... and the (basically) unlimited bundles/busing! :love:

I do hope, however, they're busily and obsessively working on fixing the god-damned automation ramps one always gets after pasting & snipping sections of automated music around!! That would be a good DPX starting point :smash:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

A hint was dropped recently in another thread that VST3 support may be coming.

I’d like to see MusicXML import—3.1 would be ideal but I’d settle for 3.0.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Yeah an upgrade to DP is long overdue now, makes you wonder?

Since this thread is titled speculation instead of wishes I'll start with that.
-Some sort of sampler instrument like the EXS24 or maybe a bit better, probably not at M53 level, but much better than what is there now.
-Some improvements to import export, Music XML etc.
-Font changes in the GUI, maybe some other subtle changes. (Nothing drastic, I don't see them abandoning themes) Definitely about time to address the little v's in CC messages! that one is a real What the heck?
-Possibly spectral editing, Magix and Cockos have managed to ad it to their DAWs, and DP has the start of it already.
-VCA faders

What I personally would like to see is improvements to bounce settings; bounce to separate tracks, meta tagging included in this, bounce selected tracks , bounce in place etc.

Something like the MIDI note expression or Logics per note key switching, and MPE support.

Just general improvements to things that already exist, extended support for MMC to allow MIDI controllers to use it, as mentioned fixing of ramping problems with moving automation, and snapshot automation. Absolute snap to grid etc.

I want a compromise with the age old argument for object oriented MIDI. I use other DAWs and it's a very useful tool, in those DAWs versions of the Tracks view. When it comes to MIDI editors piano roll style etc, it's a total nuisance. There's never any time I'm editing in that editor that I want to only see the parsed objects MIDI, ever, most object oriented MIDI DAWs make this mistake, and to see all MIDI is a work around. Conversely there's hardly any time when working on rearranging a song for instance, I want to zoom in and out, carefully add markers, and select X section by click dragging. IMO to have object oriented MIDI in the Sequence or MIDI editor would be clumsy, but there's a caveat, this would ask for the Tracks window to also be able to cut paste and glue audio. Personally I think this would be fine. Most of my time in DP is spent in the Tracks window and occasionally the MIDI editor. Going to the Sequence editor to use fades etc. is no big deal.

Anyway with how DP is laid out, and if Motunation is a barometer of what end users want, don't care about, then I get why MOTU haven't ever bothered with object oriented MIDI, it's just a little frustrating to see DP parse out MIDI as selectable objects in the Tracks view, but not be able to paste, glue copy by selection these parses at will. Same thing applies to the way DP autocorrects quantizes audio, other DAWs allow you to move the audio yourself.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I’d settle for a solid vowel movement. I mean, something from MOTU.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I’d settle for a solid vowel movement. I mean, something from MOTU.
:lol:
Agreed, does anyone know if/when the last time MOTU announced anything outside of NAMM?
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
studiodesaviateurs

Post by studiodesaviateurs »

Desperatly waiting for customized multi channel tracks (5.0, LCR)
Many ambiences sounds avalaible in sound banks are now in this format....
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Seems like since they ported DP to Windows, update progress has slowed down significantly.
My speculation: porting DP to Windows was a major undertaking. And sales haven’t increased. Now they are stuck supporting two systems, one of which have very few users. Leaving it less profitable than before. (and let’s face it, DPs market share must be declining every year, which is probably why they decided to port it to Windows in the first place)

DPX: it really needs a MAJOR overhaul to make it attractive to new users in today’s competive DAW space...
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
toddbooster
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by toddbooster »

Wasn't 9.5 kind of a major update? Depending on how you look at things, it hasn't really been 3 years without something new for DP.

My feeling is that maybe MOTU is spread a bit thin at the moment. In addition to the Windows version of DP, they've made a big push to improve their Windows drivers for hardware, which should be lucrative because that's a big market.

VST3 is a must for DP 10, especially on Windows; at least the Mac has AU to compensate. I wrote support to express my concerns after Steinberg announced they were putting VST2 out to pasture. The response I got was non committal, but they assured me that "Our development team is aware of this future change. We strive to offer the best support possible as the industry moves into the future." That's all I got.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB, Windows 10 Pro, DP 10.13, MOTU Ultralite AVB.
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

mikehalloran wrote:A hint was dropped recently in another thread that VST3 support may be coming.

I’d like to see MusicXML import—3.1 would be ideal but I’d settle for 3.0.
I have tried export xml but it was fairly useless because it was tied to the quickscribe window and there were so many limitations, like one screen at a time. If Motu could find a way to do this similar to a complete MIDI file export for an entire sequence it would be more viable. Of course it's possible that I just don't know to use it right.
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
RodneySauer

Post by RodneySauer »

I'd like more useful presets for the plug-ins. Sometimes I don't feel that I need to know everything a plug-in does, but if an expert makes a collection of presets that are useful for various situations, it would save me a lot of time for playing music. The large number of available Proverb settings are great. The settings for limiters, compressors, and EQ, not so much.
Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

KenNickels wrote: I have tried export xml but it was fairly useless because it was tied to the quickscribe window and there were so many limitations, like one screen at a time. If Motu could find a way to do this similar to a complete MIDI file export for an entire sequence it would be more viable. Of course it's possible that I just don't know to use it right.
Hey Ken - can you say more? I recently used XML export for a project and did not have any issues like you describe. Something to look into - it's possible to export only selected tracks, or to export the whole score.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB