Ultralite MK4 screen replacement

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Zorro
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ultralite MK4 screen replacement

Post by Zorro »

Hi everyone,

Does anyone knows what would be the easiest way to get a replacement screen for the MK4? I would like to replace mine which I can handle myself, just need the screen.

Thanks!!
mikehalloran

Re: Ultralite MK4 screen replacement

Post by mikehalloran »

MOTU does not provide parts lists, schematics nor specs. That said, it is well known that the screens, controllers and diodes etc. are off the shelf parts available at any large supplier such as Mouser. If the screen isn’t lighting, it may not be the screen and such.

Google and any tech knowledge is your friend. There are threads here and of Gearslutz about this. You’ll likely have to read a number of them first, then take your MK4 apart but it shouldn’t be that hard.

OTOH, MOTU has a refurb/replace service for most current units at a reasonable price that hits my sweet spot when I ask, “What’s my time worth?”

If you do go DIY, please report back on what was needed and where you found it/them.

Good Luck!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
user8249
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by user8249 »

Hi,
I'm fixing my Motu Ultralite mk4 ESS Sabre edition and have found the LCD part number, PE12848URF-007-L-Q, made by Powertip. I was able to find online distributors who sells it. The replacement is very easy to do, without any soldering, it's just putting cable into the connector. The disassembling is just four screws (you only need to unscrew the top cover).
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Thanks for sharing that, user#### !
Juca1980

Post by Juca1980 »

Hi! I'm also having problems with the LCD.
Do you still have the link where you bought this display?
That would help me a lot! Thank you very much!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

user8249 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:44 pm Hi,
I'm fixing my Motu Ultralite mk4 ESS Sabre edition and have found the LCD part number, PE12848URF-007-L-Q, made by Powertip. I was able to find online distributors who sells it. The replacement is very easy to do, without any soldering, it's just putting cable into the connector. The disassembling is just four screws (you only need to unscrew the top cover).
TREMENDOUSLY USEFUL INFO!! Thank you for sharing that!! :woohoo: I made a "shadow topic" which is like an alias in the "MOTU Hardware & Windows" forum since this is useful no matter what OS you're using.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Juca1980

Post by Juca1980 »

Hi! The big problem is that I can't get any response from Powertip, I can't make the purchase on their website.
Does anyone have a contact or link to a supplier?
Thanks! :)
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Juca1980 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:03 pm Hi! The big problem is that I can't get any response from Powertip, I can't make the purchase on their website.
Does anyone have a contact or link to a supplier?
Thanks! :)
Try emailing "user8249." If you click the little "bubble" to the right of the word "Contact" under their username and it will give you a link to their email address.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
user8249

Post by user8249 »

I'm glad if the info above is useful.
You can buy the LCD on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266088173148

Good luck!