MIDI Piano track does not want to bounce to disk properly

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
zandurian
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI Piano track does not want to bounce to disk properly

Post by zandurian »

So I have a single track feeding Pianoteq studio and MOTU MACH five Piano VIs and it plays perfect but randomly drops out when bouncing to disk. I tried a bunch of things - remove all audio plugs from the sequence, tried taking MACH five away and then Pianoteq away but both VIs exhibit the same bouncing behavior. Sometimes only the first few notes are a part of the resulting audio file and other times it's good till almost the end sometimes it drops out in the middle, no apparent rhyme or reason to where it stops (notes hold and do a natural long fade wherever it stops playing).

I loaded the Seq into a new DP project - same result. Weirdest part is I was bouncing these same tracks flawlessly (there are 12 or so single track piano songs on single tracks - every one of them exhibiting the same behavior) and I haven't changed anything on my rig.

Any ideas?
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: MIDI Piano track does not want to bounce to disk properl

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Are there any other VIs in the same channel? IOW, is there more than one VI on the same fader in a v-rack? If you move the piano to it's own instance of the VI, not shared on the same fader with anything else, DP will use multithreading and each core of the CPU will access a different VI. That will seriously reduce the impact on the CPU. If that is not clear, I can try and dig up the concept behind that. MagicD posted on this a few years ago. Solved my issue with VIs not bouncing correctly.

Again, the piano (or other complex VI with lots of samples and, especially, heavy scripting, are best in ONE instance of the VI, with no other instruments sharing that fader in the mixer.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Are there any other VIs in the same channel?

Again, the piano (or other complex VI with lots of samples and, especially, heavy scripting, are best in ONE instance of the VI, with no other instruments sharing that fader in the mixer.
There is only one instance each (of the two VIs used). I even tried using just Pianoteq by itself, which is a low CPU piano modeling VI (tiny little thing - 63 megs!) and same result.
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
MIDI Life Crisis

Well, there goes that theory. Real time recording might be the only workaround. Maybe try a freeze track, but that's basically a BTD.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

Decided to try just command C on the MIDI track, create a fresh MIDI only project, add Pianoteq and bounce - it's flawless. Thing is I had a blend and an EQ and Proverb aux track sounding perfect for final mix. Maybe if I add one thing at a time to this new project and bounce at each stage then the culprit may reveal itself?
MIDI Life Crisis

Sounds like a plan. But to get the problem solved for a looming deadline, I'd just import the track into my project and get it done. THEN I'd start messing with it.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Sounds like a plan. But to get the problem solved for a looming deadline, I'd just import the track into my project and get it done. THEN I'd start messing with it.

Yes. I also realized something that may be a factor. I was working on an old tune of mine from the 1990's the night before the soloist was coming in and was trying my new piano sounds with it when I happened upon this magic combination and everything sounded so good I used a copy of that project as a basis for the piano project which is giving me the grief. I'll bet some old audio routings from previous hardware are lurking in the background and maybe causing trouble. So I'll copy all MIDI into this fresh template and recreate just the things I need and I gotta' feeling' everything's gonna' be alright.

As always thanks for your help!
MIDI Life Crisis

As my father in law used to say: I’ve already told you more than I know. You’re welcome!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Real time recording.
You can confidence monitor while recording. Simple. Effective. You can use your "magical" effects chain without any need to create a new project.
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

HCMarkus wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Real time recording.
You can confidence monitor while recording. Simple. Effective. You can use your "magical" effects chain without any need to create a new project.
But...but...but... sometimes the BTD time is the ONLY break I get! Something really weird is going on too because I recreated the entire deal in a new project and it's like 10 times snappier. In fact all my old projects (from DP 8 or before) have been sluggish - even more sluggish since I doubled the speed of my computer (!) and upgraded to DP9. I was just happy it all worked and was going to tackle the why's of the sluggishness later. And so far the new project bounces to disk perfectly.

On this old project I even deleted all the old audio bundles to make sure something wasn't funky there. If anyone has any immediate advice of things to look for that would be great, understanding that I might need to provide more information to get meaningful advice.
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:As my father in law used to say: I’ve already told you more than I know. You’re welcome!
Thank y.... err... hey wait, what did you say? :D