Steinberg & OT create Iconica for VST3-based orchestra

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Steinberg & OT create Iconica for VST3-based orchestra

Post by mhschmieder »

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/v ... ayers.html

This could be a game-changer. I never spent the dough on Berlin from Orchestral Tools, and it's a bit unclear whether this is a repackaged version for HALion vs. Kontakt, but the VST3 Expression support may be the first in the industry for a deep-sampled orchestra library?

There will be integration with Dorico at some point (it's being worked on). Not sure if they will try to play friendly with the other notation apps or not.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Elektroakoustika

Re: Steinberg & OT create Iconica for VST3-based orchestra

Post by Elektroakoustika »

This is an interesting development in the sampling world as none of the big DAW players have stepped into the in-depth sampling business in many years, especially when competing with the dedicated sampling companies like Orchestral Tools, Spitfire, and Cinesamples.

This is a brand new library though. Orchestral Tools recorded all of their "Berlin Series" libraries at Teldex where these are recorded at Funkhaus Berlin. So no repackaging here.

I think, overall, the library sounds very good. I was especially impressed by the percussion. I own all of the Berlin series and can see a lot of parallels between the two. There is an obvious "cutting costs" factor in a lot of the woodwinds and brass though as many of them are only two velocity layers. But the VST3 support is really interesting and really neat in Cubase.

Being a composer that still composed in DP, but notates in Dorico now, I'll be interested to see how the integration will work in the future.
Mac Pro 12-Core 2.93ghz 64gb ram | macOS 10.12.6 | Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 | DP 9.52 | VE Pro 6 | Dorico 2.2
2016 MacBook Pro 2.6 ghz i7
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks for that info -- I didn't have time yesterday to look up where the Berlin Series was recorded. I love both of those recording chambers.

I was quite impressed by the woodwinds (haven't listened to the others yet) -- even the clarinet sounded realistic (it's my main orchestral instrument from childhood on), and I'm really picky about clarinets!

I guess now I'll need to dig further into what VST3 Expression means in terms of workflow, original note input (e.g. if I set up a WX5 Wind Controller), and how the sound compares vs. regular Berlin Series and then relative to cost.

It's funny, I always delete the Logic and HALion sampler presets in any library that I buy. I just figure neither is at the level of Kontakt, UVI/Falcon, or Engine.

But HALion certainly took a giant leap forward recently. Even so, I have no regrets over deleting my HALion presets from all of my sample library purchases. I may end up using it just for stuff done specifically for HALion, if it comes to that.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Elektroakoustika

I was most impressed by the percussion. The sound of that hall just speaks very well to percussion.

I thought the woodwinds and brass were decent, but I can't say they're better than my existing Berlin libraries (with a couple of small exceptions). And the lack of the dynamic layers in a lot of those instruments really restricts what they can do.

But I'm right with you. I'm really amazed at what HALion is doing these days. They must have overhauled that in recent memory to catch up with the abilities of Kontakt. I'm really curious how it compares performance-wise. Kontakt, when scripted right, really works efficiently.

Let me know if you have any questions on the Berlin series. I own all of the main libraries (Woods, Brass, Strings, Percussion) and use it frequently on my projects.
Mac Pro 12-Core 2.93ghz 64gb ram | macOS 10.12.6 | Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 | DP 9.52 | VE Pro 6 | Dorico 2.2
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yes, my most important question is prerequisites. Their website sort of hints that you need the main libraries before buying the add-ons for the less common instruments, but I am most interested in the latter -- especially initially.

I have the same issue with Cinesamples. I almost bought their Descant Horn several times, but was afraid it wouldn't work without having bought their larger collections/libraries. Their specifications are vague on that point.

Elektroakoustika

I"m pretty sure you can get them without the main libraries, but don't quote me on that. The only add-on library I have is the Additional Brass, which shares nothing with the main brass so it can be used without the main library.

I think the only time you need the main library is if it shares samples with it. And I can't think of any of their libraries that share samples. But I would e-mail Orchestral Tools and just ask.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks; that makes sense. During "hot sales", there usually isn't time for turnaround with inquiries, so it's best to make them when there's no sale going on, to be prepared. :-) Especially due to the time zone difference between here and Europe.

nk_e

Post by nk_e »

mhschmieder wrote:Yes, my most important question is prerequisites. Their website sort of hints that you need the main libraries before buying the add-ons for the less common instruments, but I am most interested in the latter -- especially initially.

I have the same issue with Cinesamples. I almost bought their Descant Horn several times, but was afraid it wouldn't work without having bought their larger collections/libraries. Their specifications are vague on that point.
Descant functions as it’s own library.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks -- I'll buy Descant Horn the next time it's on sale. Still the only library for that, as far as I know, even if one includes a few where one emulates a Descant Horn through the choice of valves on a Triple Horn. The timbre is still not the same due to bore.