Where did my Mac DP 8 audio go?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
digital dog
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Where did my Mac DP 8 audio go?

Post by digital dog »

When I try to work on a project created on my Mac with DP 8.07 (64 bit) on my new Windows 10 computer with DP 8.07 (64 bit), the audio files are gone or have a "blank sheet of paper" icon and won't open in Windows DP 8. Is it a file type problem? Any ideas?
James Caughlan, Digital Dog Recording
DP 8.07, Windows 10, Dell Laptop, i7 8550u processor, 16 GB, M-Track interface, Mac Pro, dual quad, 16 GB, 828 mk II, Korg and Yamaha synths, Variax Guitars, other acoustics and electrics, + other toys, 6 bicycles and 2 Corgis, and a partridge . . .
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Where did my Mac DP 8 audio go?

Post by mikehalloran »

digital dog wrote:When I try to work on a project created on my Mac with DP 8.07 (64 bit) on my new Windows 10 computer with DP 8.07 (64 bit), the audio files are gone or have a "blank sheet of paper" icon and won't open in Windows DP 8. Is it a file type problem? Any ideas?
Not enough information.

How did you bring your projects over from the Mac to your Windows computer?

The correct answer: I zipped the files before copy or exporting from the Mac (or moving to my Dropbox account etc.).

If that's not what you did and you have access to that Mac, try that first.

If, however, that's exactly what you did, we need even more info. Audio files? VIs? Where was the raw audio stored?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
digital dog
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by digital dog »

I drug the files as-is onto a usb zip drive. The project opened ok, just audio file problem. After I posted, I found an old post that talked about converting old sdII files to wav files, suggesting an app called sdtwowav. I downloaded it and converted the files and directed DP to the audio files folder where I put the wav files, and DP found the files and opened them in the DP tracks window. It worked! My hope is to work on a project in my Mac studio and be able to put it on my Windows laptop to work on away from the studio using only the built-in mas plug-ins. First, if I zip the projects and unzip on the PC, will that eleminate the sd2 to wav conversion step, second, will I have to do this every time I go back and forth between Mac and Windows. I wonder if MOTU has fixed in DP9, I know they were aware of it during the beta phase of DP 8 (I am waiting for 10). If they truly want DP to be a true Mac/Win DAW, movement between the two should be seamless.
James Caughlan, Digital Dog Recording
DP 8.07, Windows 10, Dell Laptop, i7 8550u processor, 16 GB, M-Track interface, Mac Pro, dual quad, 16 GB, 828 mk II, Korg and Yamaha synths, Variax Guitars, other acoustics and electrics, + other toys, 6 bicycles and 2 Corgis, and a partridge . . .
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Great. Mark this Resolved!

I don't know if sdtwowav can do batch processing or not nor do I know if it can convert other file types. There are apps that can convert any file type to any other. Here's a current discussion on that same topic.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=64832&start=30

Although the apps mentioned are Mac, there are plenty available for Windows, too.

Even though 9.52 is supposed to have fixed the sd2 issue, there are plenty of times when these are still necessary including their ability to strip corrupt headers from raw audio and rebuild them.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro