alternative to Avantone MixCube active monitors?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
donreynolds
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

alternative to Avantone MixCube active monitors?

Post by donreynolds »

Hey group,
Can anyone offer a little advice?
I am wanting a lo-fi bass challenged set of nearfield monitors. I have read a lot about the Avantone active MixCube. Do you have any recommendations of any that are comparable for what they do and price? I have Event bas 20/20 and Adam audio A7's for my main monitors. Just needing something to see how it sounds on cheaper playback systems. I want active, not passive speakers.
Thanks
Don
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)
waxman

Re: alternative to Avantone MixCube active monitors?

Post by waxman »

I am loving the IK Multimedia iLoud. I have Avantones and I find myself not using them since getting the iLoud's...
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloudmm/

waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
donreynolds

Post by donreynolds »

.Thanks,
I hear the mix cubes were not very good monitors and that if your mix sounded good on them, you probably have got it together. That was my purpose in wanting them. I looked at the ILoud from your link just now. My question is this.. Do they have the same properties as the mix cube which has no tweeter or woofer. It is all in one of course. Does the ILoud negate that due to having tweeter and woofer and port? I guess that is my question.
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The Avantone is purported to be a modern version of the Auratone. I had a pair, what, 40 years ago? You got them mail-order by clipping the ad from every recording publication.

I never understood the appeal unless it meant that everybody had the same set of low-fi speakers. Yes, if I got my mixes right on good speakers, they always sounded ok on Auratones. I found them useless for mixing but others sang their praises.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Damn, Auratone 5C Cubes are back. Here’s the Sound on Sound review (spoiler—these sound different from the 5Cs of 40 years ago):
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/au ... sound-cube

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... lAQAvD_BwE

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _BwE&smp=n
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

They were called Horrortones, Mike.

The Avantones have a single speaker in each li'l cabinet, so there are no crossover anomalies. That said, I think they are probably less relevant than they were before; pretty much everyone today listens on audio systems with good to excessive high-frequency response. I still use them sparingly but fairly regularly.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:They were called Horrortones, Mike.

The Avantones have a single speaker in each li'l cabinet, so there are no crossover anomalies. That said, I think they are probably less relevant than they were before; pretty much everyone today listens on audio systems with good to excessive high-frequency response. I still use them sparingly but fairly regularly.
Agreed. I don’t recall how many decades ago I sold my 5Cs but I’ve never missed them. With no info in the low bass, I just didn’t see the point.

If my portable rig required a pair of speakers, I’d get the iLoud to play rough mixes for clients but I rarely have that need.

If they were still available, I’d be recommending the Equator D5. I sold my pair (with the carry bag) after I upgraded to the D8 — and then they went out of business. Damn!
waxman

Post by waxman »

donreynolds wrote:.Thanks,
I hear the mix cubes were not very good monitors and that if your mix sounded good on them, you probably have got it together. That was my purpose in wanting them. I looked at the ILoud from your link just now. My question is this.. Do they have the same properties as the mix cube which has no tweeter or woofer. It is all in one of course. Does the ILoud negate that due to having tweeter and woofer and port? I guess that is my question.
Hi Don... The Horrortones (lol Marcus) were simulating checking your mix on the 2" deck speaker, transistor radio, TV, elevator speakers etc... Without the tech stuff most would agree the bottom line in choosing a speaker is this... "If your mix sounds good on your mixinf speakers will it sound good everywhere?" ie... does it translate? In my experience "if it sounds good on the iLouds it will sound good everywhere."
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

For those who do want the Auratones, Zen Pro Audio may still have its sale in effect (I just got back from a three week vacation, so haven't checked yet), which includes good pre-amp choices as well (for the passive models) and now also a mahogany finish if I recall correctly.

Auratone also has some other interesting new models, but I forget the form factor -- maybe designed more for iPhone type environments. I simply can't remember, but I think they are at Front End Audio and Zen Pro Audio's sites (my two preferred pro audio dealers, along with Sound Pure, due to their extensive catalogues for brands unfortunately not available at Sweetwater).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH