Robert Moog -- Obituary --

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
mastermix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Robert Moog -- Obituary --

Post by mastermix »

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/08/22/moog ... index.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/23/arts/ ... 3moog.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 696651.stm

James..please feel free to remove or move...

Methinks Dr. Moog derserved some space in here...as he
invented the synth...which all DAW vendors including MOTU..
have cashed in on...

Kris..
studiodog
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by studiodog »

I actually emoted when I read that on cnn.com tonite.

Mostly I just said crap that sucks, but that's 'bout all that Bob would've expected from most folks. Met him years ago at a conference when I was practically a child. You DID NOT call him MOOOG....

It was Mowg. Phonetically... He so disliked the cow enunciation.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Studio Dog is right. His name rhymes with Vogue. But I doubt there's a soul in this forum who doesn't know that.

I was really surprised how much Moog's death affected me. I say that not to join the bandwagon of obituary writers, but because I think there is genuinely something of interest about this which may not be apparent on the surface. After all, Bob Moog was someone we all knew about, but not someone we generally thought about every day. So, it truly was a surprise when I found that the news really hit like a ton of bricks.

When I signed his guestbook, I noted that it felt like he was the father of our (musical) age, and that we had lost a father. I was surprised to read a similar comment in many, many people's messages. Others in this forum and elsewhere said the same thing: "I feel as if I've lost a father." It sort of woke everyone up, and made us realize that the 20th Century is over. I never realized that Moog was such an imposing figure over our coming of age in the era of post-modernist music.

As the philosopher-composers wrung the last bit of meaning out of the tonal system and its negation, Moog woke our senses to something else: that we were not limited by the acoustics of nature. That we could determine the texture, the timbre, the physical performance space, the accuracy, the tempo and timing, and every other aspect of what we desired to hear, and that our only limitation is time and tools. That constitutes a whole new world, musically speaking, which was not only unattainable to Bach, Mozart, or Beethoven, but also unimaginable.

Now we are not even limited by our imaginations, because our tools have the capacity to imagine for us. When using Moog's devices, we do not set a goal and reach it. We more "set sail" on the tools, and wherever the winds of our experimentation take us, we are treated with a new sonic landscape never seen or imagined by anyone in history. That seems to be in keeping with the general philosophy of the late 20th Century, and now it has become its own reality. Let me explain:

People used to thrill at the perfection of a skill or product. A perfect fan, for instance, was a heavy steel device with aerodynamically designed blades, a ball-bearing motor which never wears out, continuously variable speeds, and it oscillated. But it was the perfection of something that existed in some form for thousands of years. Such fans were constructed and mass produced by many companies by the middle of the 20th Century. That kind of quality had become a goal, and we achieved it. (and still remains a goal in Germany, for instance)

But man today is not concerned with quality or perfection of an existing idea. Now we expect to be surprised and amazed by things we never thought of before. A cell phone that plays movies on demand, for example. A live "cell-cert" in which a friend contacts you from a concert and lets you listen to and watch--live--what is happening on stage 1000 miles away. Or a two-wheeled scooter (Segway) that magically balances you and moves you with skills normally associated with circus performers and unicycles. That is the kind of experimentation and open-ended thinking that became standard in music after Bob Moog's inventions. No doubt, they have in some way inspired inventors and thinkers in every walk of life, often without them even realizing it.

And that, it seems to me, may be why the death of Bob Moog hit us so hard. He wasn't just any old composer or inventor. He shifted our paradigms, starting with our ears, and working inward. He expanded our minds; gave birth to an age in which we expect the unexpected. Whereas Einstein and other scientists have confounded our intuitive understanding of the world around us, and made "reality" seem a bit intimidating, Bob Moog made this new reality enjoyable and beautiful.

He may have passed away, but his legacy lives on. His name will always be a part of our world. I feel lucky to have been a part of his era.

Shooshie
FM

Post by FM »

"I happen to think that computers are the most important thing to happen to musicians since the invention of cat-gut which was a long time ago."

Robert Moog

thank you for all you did for us, Mr. Moog.
we will miss you greatly.

FM
ledhead
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by ledhead »

Woh... I didn't expect to learn about this today... :(
Specialy after seeing this beautiful inspiring documentory about him. He seem like such a nice guy...

I really recommend to see this movie about the man behind the machine.
http://www.zu33.com/moog/

It 's a must see.