Having trouble with pitch correction/edits

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
funkyfreddy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Having trouble with pitch correction/edits

Post by funkyfreddy »

I'm experiencing some real problems with pitch correction and editing in DP9. Whenever I'm editing pitch I get about a quarter of the way through the vocal and then all of the sudden my track goes haywire.... the pitch just goes to hell, not sure how to describe it.

I get the pitch corrected on a handful of phrases with the pencil tool and then all of a sudden the rest of the track goes to atonal hell, not sure of what I'm doing wrong.... I'm trying to make sure I have certain notes or small regions selected before performing edits.....

I haven't used pitch correction before but the vocals on this project really need it unfortunately.... not sure what I'm doing wrong the process seems very unintuitive so far to me.......
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB RAM OSX 11.2 Big Sur
UAD Apollo Quad DP11.22 some Waves, Soundtoys, Digital Performer 11.2, Reason 12, iZotope 11, and lots of real instruments to play :)
supersonic

Re: Having trouble with pitch correction/edits

Post by supersonic »

Before having Melodyne Studio I used it for years with good result. I never stumbled across the problem you are having. Did you write to support?
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy »

I didn't write to DP support yet, wasn't sure whether it was user error on my part or not. I must say though that the pitch correction features built in to Reason 10 are great and very easy to use.... so for the time being I'll record the vocals for this project in Reason or fly them in from DP.

I'll give DP's pitch correction another try eventually but for now will work on my vocal pitch issues within Reason.
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB RAM OSX 11.2 Big Sur
UAD Apollo Quad DP11.22 some Waves, Soundtoys, Digital Performer 11.2, Reason 12, iZotope 11, and lots of real instruments to play :)
Dave Connor

Post by Dave Connor »

Haven’t used this feature as I normally track vocals and edit them at a studio. The behavior described above is axactly what’s happening: you get things just right and then find everything out of whack in previous and following areas of the file. Same thing happens in DP 8 and 9.5.
2012 Mac Pro 12 Core, OS 10.8.5, 64 gigs ram; 2408 (3), 308, DP 8.07 http://www.daveconnor.net
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Does an UNDO fix it?

On a related note, I've had trouble with DP's pitch window where I've gone to select pitch regions and paste them into a MIDI track, and all the durations are made very short-- even though the notes and pitch regions are all long. Weird, clunky. (Or user error).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Dave Connor

Post by Dave Connor »

I did an entire vocal track - worked very hard at getting it just right. I noticed that just selecting a small area will often select way beyond it and cause that area to go haywire - so I avoided that (always undid selection and carefully selected only desired area.) I listened to entire file - signed off on everything and closed DP. Opened next morning and everything that had been pitch corrected was very strangely off.

Never done anything as bold as you did in copying into MIDI but maybe someone can chime on that.
2012 Mac Pro 12 Core, OS 10.8.5, 64 gigs ram; 2408 (3), 308, DP 8.07 http://www.daveconnor.net
MW1

Post by MW1 »

funkyfreddy wrote:I'm experiencing some real problems with pitch correction and editing in DP9. Whenever I'm editing pitch I get about a quarter of the way through the vocal and then all of the sudden my track goes haywire.... the pitch just goes to hell, not sure how to describe it.

I get the pitch corrected on a handful of phrases with the pencil tool and then all of a sudden the rest of the track goes to atonal hell, not sure of what I'm doing wrong.... I'm trying to make sure I have certain notes or small regions selected before performing edits.....

I haven't used pitch correction before but the vocals on this project really need it unfortunately.... not sure what I'm doing wrong the process seems very unintuitive so far to me.......
This is a well documented bug in DP 9.5 (as per your sig) but MOTU issued a fix in v9.51.

I would update DP to the latest version and you should be OK.

MW
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

What MW said.

That said, I ran into the described issue on an older file opened in DP9.52, which seemed to be tied to a track. Moving the source audio file to a new track has resolved what Undo would not.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Dave Connor

Post by Dave Connor »

HCMarkus wrote:What MW said.

That said, I ran into the described issue on an older file opened in DP9.52, which seemed to be tied to a track. Moving the source audio file to a new track has resolved what Undo would not.
I use DP 8 but figured 9.5 would be farther along with that function. My mistake. Before I read about the bug above I started from scratch in DP 8 and had no problems.

What’s interesting is that two vital functions I needed: Pitch and remote DAW control were both essentially a no-go in DP during a professional crunch time. Nice.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

9.52 has been very solid for me. I have only experienced the pitch glitch once since 9.52 was installed. And the new pitch/time stretch algorithms are most excellent; polyphonic material can now be manipulated much more transparently. A long-time wish list item was thus fulfilled for me.
waxman

Post by waxman »

I pitched fixed a vocal last week in 9.52... about halfway through song suddenly the rest of the vocal was up a 1/2 step. I usually track vocals using multiple takes then edit a master take. What I'm finding is it helps to edit the various takes together then copy to a new track. The pitch bug has never appeared after doing that. This time it was a quick one take vocal on a guys song still in the initial writing process. There is a bug and it is still in 9.52... the best fix would be great singers who do perfect takes with great feel and in tune. Anyone know where I can get one of those. Plug or hardware is fine...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

This happens to me often as well in DP 9.52, where I want to pitch correct one word then suddenly the whole phrase or soundbite is highlighted and pitch changed into seemingly random notes... it's definitely a bug, which also happened in 9.51 to me as well.
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
waxman

Post by waxman »

try cutting them merging the file again...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

I'm experiencing the same problem from time to time in 9.52. It's a double edge sword, as the pitch shifting quality on program material is awesome and this (hopefully temporary) bug is the downside. My workaround is to firstly create a duplicate take of the vocal for tuning, then re-merge the file so that it is actually a completely separate piece of audio from take one (otherwise the pitch automation will be duplicated to the first take) then I segment the lines. I have found that it tends not to go haywire if the vocal is segmented into lines, that said it may just be coincidence. In the event that it does I just flip to take one and copy the damaged bit of vocal to the tuning take (take 2). It's a bit of a Pfaff, but hopefully Moto will sort it out in the next incarnation of DP.

In spite of the problems I still say DP kicks arse when it comes to editing and especially pitch correction and is certainly a hell of a lot quicker than Melodyne.

One other bug bear with 9.52 is that time stretching audio result in a bout 1.5db drop in volume of the stretched file. FWIW, I tend to do editing and stretching in 9.02 and then tune and mix in 9.52 at the moment.
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Sent to MOTU
Added by Andrew on 2018/09/10

Hi Mark,
This issue is on our fix list. Thanks for sharing the link.