MIDI Learn troubles

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MIDI Learn troubles

Post by mesayre »

I'm experiencing some issues with DP's MIDI learn that are making it very difficult to use.

Very frequently, when I attempt to learn a parameter on a VST, some other plugin that I have not selected will grab the assignment before I've touched a control, and it becomes impossible to assign things as intended. I can use the console editor to fix the assignment, but that requires lots of extra clicking.

MIDI Monitor shows no activity when this happens. If a start a blank project and just put one or two plugs in, learn works as intended. I would guess that this is the result of the way some plugins poll the UI.

A few things that are on my system and frequently used:

NI Absynth
NI Reaktor
NI Massive
Korg M1

I am gradually going through all my plugins to see if I can identify the culprit(s), but wonder if anyone else has seen this and has any advice.

Keyboard is a Roland A-Pro, but that doesn't seem to be a factor.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
chibear

Re: MIDI Learn troubles

Post by chibear »

Hi, I had a similar issue with Kontakt on another DAW. If you haven't already, try spreading your MIDI tracks over different channels and see if that works.
mesayre

Re: MIDI Learn troubles

Post by mesayre »

An update on this:

I have identified one plugin that is causing this for me: Overloud TH2. If I have TH2 on any audio track in my project, MIDI Learn becomes unusable.

Interestingly, it works normally when first inserted, but the problem rears its head after the project is closed and re-opened.

Additional Suspect Plugins: Stuff from Togu - TAL Sampler and Chorus appear to do this as well.

Workaround: Disable any tracks with TH2, MIDI learn as normal, then re-enable. Annoying, but it works.

I've reported it to MOTU via techlink.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB