Anyone have experience with the Installer for XLN Audio plug

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Rick Cornish »

I bought a plug-in from XLN Audio last Friday and their installer refuses to work (it hangs on launch). I’ve re-downloaded and re-installed the app, but get the same result every time.

Have a note into support, but I thought I’d ask if anyone has had experience with installing their plugins.

Cheers.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mikehalloran

Re: Anyone have experience with the Installer for XLN Audio

Post by mikehalloran »

Is it delivered in a zip file? If so, download the free Keka app and use it to expand. See if this works.
http://www.kekaosx.com/en/

There was an issue with certain builds of Sierra and zip files. The weird part of this problem is that the expanded archives don’t show an error—they just don’t f#$%^ work.

Eventide support gave me the heads-up and I’ve used it to expand PSP license files, MasterWriter2 and other installers.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Wow... that's a drag. I have Addictive Drums (I like it a lot by the way) and a couple other plugs of theirs I think, and it never gives me any problems. I'd be happy to take my functioning installer app, zip it, and send you D/L link if you get stuck. In theory, launching it should create new prefs and ask you for login info to your XLN user account.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yes, I was the first person to hit the problem and Keka solved it for me. The vendor was very responsive and they were very thankful for me taking the time to document things in detail. I'm pretty sure they now recommend Keka in their installation notes, but I thought they had also resolved the ZIP issue.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Unfortunately, no more zips from these guys. You have to download the XLN Audio Online Installer, which—after running the installer—launches, updates itself (multiple times), generates a duplicate app, which instructs you to launch the other one, then hangs on launch (icon bouncing away in the dock ad infinitium). Support got back to me after 4 days and asked me to do a bunch of things I’d already done and then send them some obscure log files (which needed to be generated and then renamed). Somehow, I eventually got the installer to run and—after crashing twice—it finally installed my plugin.

They make some nice products, but I don’t think I’ll be buying anything else from these guys until they get their act together. I really don’t have time to troubleshoot their software for them.

Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

It's been a few months since my last XLN Audio purchase, so I don't remember if they had already gone to the installer app approach as the only option at that point or not, but have some vague memories of it exhibiting similar issues to Cakewalk's, though not as severe by any means. No "permanent" issues.

Toontrack have done the best job of anyone, in my view. Their application manager is fast and reliable, never leaves crud behind, and is also very helpful at avoiding repurchasing already-owned products (this can be hard with many vendors, who often use cryptic names for their products once on-disc).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mhschmieder wrote:It's been a few months since my last XLN Audio purchase, so I don't remember if they had already gone to the installer app approach as the only option at that point or not, but have some vague memories of it exhibiting similar issues to Cakewalk's, though not as severe by any means. No "permanent" issues.

Toontrack have done the best job of anyone, in my view. Their application manager is fast and reliable, never leaves crud behind, and is also very helpful at avoiding repurchasing already-owned products (this can be hard with many vendors, who often use cryptic names for their products once on-disc).
This seems to be a trend, and I for one, don’t like it. It’s one thing when companies with a solid IT capability (like Waves or NI) create their own installation and activation schemes. (Yes, more apps on my HD, but at least those work.) It’s quite another when a small company doesn’t have the programming chops to pull off their own application manager. (Then there’s IK Multimedia who installs ALL their products on your system, whether you want them or not—that is just rude.) Frankly, I wish everyone would just send out simple disk image installers and get on board with iLok for activation and be done with it.

(End of rant.)

Rick Cornish