THANK YOU, "MAGIC DAVE" ROBERTS!!!!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

I've created this topic and linked to it from a banner that will be at the top of this site for a while to pay tribute to a great person who has been at MOTU for 24 years and recently is moving on to a new opportunity with Wildlife Acoustics, Inc. You know him... you love him... the one and only... DAVID "MAGIC DAVE" ROBERTS!!!

This topic is intended to be a tribute where all of we MOTU/Digital Performer users can post our well wishes. I'll make sure he sees it. Please share any stories you have about how the MAGIC ONE stepped in and saved the day for you... or other fond memories you have!

I'll start. It was the early 90s I believe and I had received a new version of Digital Performer in it's nice cardboard box with the sleeve. I used to collect software boxes and arrange them on my bookshelf. This box was damaged in the mail and the cover was a bit torn up, so I called tech support and some guy named "Dave" answered the phone. I told him what had happened and I know it sounded strange, but did he think he could get me a new BOX!!! LOL Just the cardboard box... nothing else.

Believe it or not... he didn't laugh at me! (Well maybe he muted the phone and did... I'll never know)... and sure enough... about a week later, my new DP software box arrived. Silly... I know... I'll think of more stories, but I'm just getting the ball rolling here!!

THANK YOU, MAGIC DAVE!!!

Here's a pic we took at a NAMM a couple of years ago:

JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
BobK

Re: THANK YOU, MAGIC DAVE!!!!!

Post by BobK »

Thanks so much for all the help over the years Dave, and best of luck at your next venture!
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
buzzsmith

Re: THANK YOU, "MAGIC DAVE" ROBERTS!!!!!

Post by buzzsmith »

I never met Dave but wish him the best.

Always enjoyed his comments and tips on an “issue” no matter how mundane it may have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Thanks, MagicD! I'll always remember you handing me a Track 16 I won at an LA DP launch event. It's still kickin' it like a champ! Also, thanks for you knowledge, especially the concept of splitting heavy CPU impact VI instruments into separate instances of the VI to spread the joy and merriment that is DP and MOTU across all cores. Best tip ever!

Good luck in your new endeavors! :headbang:

:unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

I don't think there's much that needs to be said. For many of us Dave is as much of Digital Performer and Motu as anything else.

I hope his next venture is as awesome as the last.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Robert Randolph wrote:I don't think there's much that needs to be said.
Except that I intend this topic to remain on the board for a long time as sort of a tribute. So, don't hold back, peeps! SAY IT! Image
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I'm allergic to sales people. I have a serious negative reaction to people selling me things, hype etc. Dave always came across even in presenting DP to new customers in videos and seminars as not a sales man, but someone wanting to show you this neat software he's using, a huge feat! I'm going to miss his low key approach, and presence here and on other forums etc.

I selfishly wish he was going to work for some other piece of software I use. The bat people are lucky. :headbang:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

Dave,
I'm sorry to see you go but very happy for your new gig. All the best for you!
You have personally and directly helped me probably 10 times over the years answering my questions with an email reply that usually appeared in my inbox within mins or hours instead of days - how great is that?! Thank you so very much for all of your kind and clear assistance over the years.
Martin Baird
MOTU user since 1990.
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
DP 10, MachFive, Electric Keys, 828es, MTP A/V USB
Mac Pro 2 x 3.33 GHz Six-Core, Mac OS X 10.14.6
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

Dave...can't thank you enough for your dedication to creating one of the greatest pieces of music software of all time, your MOTU educational activities (videos, books), and all the artistically-inspired work you've done over the years as a musician working with and for fellow musicians.

Your work has made it possible for all of us here to bring our music to the world in so many different ways...and has helped to inspire NEW ways and possibilities of creating music as well.

Only met you through the 'virtual world' through questions to MOTU and through our James Steele's fantastic 'MotuNation'...never made it to a NAMM show...but I shake your hand for what you've done and to wish you all the best in your future work. (...please don't forget to help MOTU once in awhile!)

Live long and prosper!

Cam Millar
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Thank you for the years of dedicated support Magic Dave; best wishes as your next adventure begins! :woohoo:
sjn

Post by sjn »

I echo everyone's heartfelt thanks to Magic Dave.

My MOTU connection dates back to (pre-Digital) Performer v1 (yes, I'm that old...), so I've had support and help from a lot of great MOTU staffers.

But Dave has always stood out for his genuine interest in whatever issue or question was presented, his amazingly deep knowledge, and his unusually helpful attitude.

I wish him all the best in his next endeavour. As someone else already said, those bats are very lucky! :D

Steven
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Thanks, Dave, and don't make yourself scarce. Your expertise is still good!

I recall buying DP8 the same month DP9 came out. My email was answered by Dave immediately. He assured me the upgrade was free. I got the registration that night from him, well after business hours.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

So can I be a beta tester now... lol
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

...and there was that time he spent 4 or 5 days editing a wonky Yamaha Unisyn profile for me.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

Wow, Dave was a fixture at MOTU. We will miss him for sure, but his new gig looks fascinating!

Always looked forward to his presentations at AES. A couple of shows ago, when it was down to Motu demonstrating their AVB hardware in the Avid area, I was able to hang out with Dave, Babz, Jeff Jones and 1 or 2 other cats, and talk about.... music! It was fun and a great antidote to all the tech-talk.

Dave, thanks for all the help and the great relationships you built with us. Best of luck in your new endeavors!
peace,
Frank Dickinson
90 East Productions
Our "lockdown" videos!