Can someone dissect MSI samples a bit for me please?

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

pigital derformer
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Can someone dissect MSI samples a bit for me please?

Post by pigital derformer »

I'm interested in this because it looks like you can have an idea and quickly get it recorded into a project before the mood passes - if only because it has less options to consider than, say, VSL

But with the whole sample library only 8GB, and with the motu website feature using phrases like 'memory-efficient' for the instruments I am worried about the quality of the sounds

Obviously I know they will be heavily compromised in SOME way(s) compared with bigger libraries like VSL (even their cut down ones) but in WHAT way exactly?

So can anyone describe the MSI instrument in terms of quality, sample durations, whether looping within samples has been used, usual number of velocity layers used and especially if samples they have been treated - are they compressed, EQ'd, do they fade out unaturally or are they effected in any other way.

I wouldn't mind so much fewer articulation programs and generally fewer layers as long as what there IS in MSI is good quality.

Do the samples have that good-enough-to-eat quality like VSL (I keep mentioning VSL because it's the only big orchestral library I've heard) or do they have that glossy sound, like there's nothing sonically interesting - you know an instrument flavour, not its actual taste.

Thanks! :p
midiw
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Can someone dissect MSI samples a bit for me please?

Post by midiw »

I am interested in purchasing MSI but there is virtually useless information at the MOTU site promoting MSI. Albeit, kudo's to the web page designers. Nice graphics.

Oh sure the sample MP3 all sound good but there is very little information about how many tracks were involved in producing them and are those tracks produced only by MSI or were they made with a combination of MSI and some other virtual instruments. Why the deep dark secret?

MOTU's promotion of MSI leaves me with the idea that MOTU expect us to just buy but then don't complain if it does not meet expectations.

Obviously this version is in its infancy and needs some maturing and improvements. It would also be helpfull if there was a time limited ( 7 to 15 days for example ) demo version with a small offering of sample files.
Mac OS: Mojave
MrVideo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Can someone dissect MSI samples a bit for me please?

Post by MrVideo »

Lets see, MSI $299.00 - equivalent samples from other sources $1000 +

My question is "What Do You Expect?" from a $300 program? I would say that if they are in any way "good" samples, you have gotten your monies worth.

If they are better than "good" then you have gotten are Real Bargain.

Now if you can not stand inferior samples of any sort, then avoid MSI. They might not be really good!
What Else?