Has DP, THE MIDI king, been slayed? Saw its head rolling...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Has DP, THE MIDI king, been slayed? Saw its head rolling

Post by FMiguelez »

Gravity Jim wrote: I give up.
You give up?
Already? But you never even got started with anything other than making straw men of whatever I wrote...
You never addressed any of my points, so I don't know what you're giving up, other than defending DP with zealous (but empty) conviction in the face of uncomfortable facts (and without any convincing counter-arguments).

What are your counter-arguments anyway? What is it exactly you're defending? I'm still not clear on that.
Gravity Jim wrote: I don't work like you screw-counters who edit and edit and edit and edit your little MIDI tracks.
It's actually MIDI AND audio tracks, and aux tracks and master tracks, as well as the Conductor Track. It happens wherever there is automation with timeline edits and track/MIDI/audio edit moves, as I keep explaining.

Ok. So you never automate anything and you never move tracks and you never do anything to the timeline (otherwise you'd at least notice them, like everyone else, even if they don't bother you personally).

Why do you feel the need to try to paint my music-production work as some kind of crazy anti-musical stuff that nobody else does? The issues I've pointed out affect A LOT of people who do all kinds of different things in all sorts of ways. You make it sound as if I were programming a robot, instead of making my computer/equipment move air in pleasant ways, as we all do one way or another. Why?

We all automate our VIs with CCs, do we not? We all automate audio tracks most of the time, yes? We all move soundbites and MIDI regions all the time. So what's so "special" or so alien about what I'm asking? If you do music using a computer, you MUST do at least some of those things. So why paint them as something so weird or unusual? Could it be the erection of another straw man?

Got it.
Simply say that you are not affected by any of that because you don't use it, which doesn't mean many others don't have to deal with it for our jobs on a daily basis, irrespective of what you think of the gig (yet ANOTHER red-herring).
Gravity Jim wrote: And I suggest you watch what you say, dude. You are veering dangerously close to personal attacks, especially that bullsh•• comparing me to American politicians.
I haven't come even remotely close to a personal attack. Just keep reading into what I write whatever you wish to find.

Also, I didn't compare you to politicians, especially not American politicians. What I did write was, that if you keep comically and blindly denying the issues without addressing them, like you've been doing all along, your non-arguments (i.e., what you write), not you, sound as vacuous and comic as our (not your) politicians'.

Do I really need to explain how none of that means I'm calling you a politician? It just means that, for some strange reason, you're using the same predictable and boring tactics, which BTW, are not exclusive to politicians... It's a common trade from all kinds of people who deny facts when confronted with evidence or strong arguments and don't want to accept it and NEED to "win some internet argument", as you've beautifully exemplified so far.

Why is it better to ignore the relevant issues I mentioned instead of fixing them, again?

What do you actually propose, if anything?

Gravity Jim wrote:•••• you.
Oh! So there it is, the F-bomb in all its splendid glory!
Finally. The proper and mature thing to do when discussing software in lieu of any convincing arguments :roll:

THAT is the definition of a personal attack, as opposed to what you accused me of.
So you have only attacks, red-herrings and straw men, but not one decent argument to properly demonstrate why all of what I wrote in the OP is crazy, dumb and totally unnecessary (since DP is apparently beyond improvement for you).

So what are your arguments in favour of NOT doing anything to fix any of the problems we've been discussing, the ones I laid out in my OP? Let us hear them and why DP works better now as is.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I get the bans on certain topics, I do, even if I occasionally misinterpret the directives at times.

Ad hominem attacks over a piece of software (or anything for that matter) really should be a red line for bad behavior.

I, for one, would expect an apology or an expulsion, but I don't make the rules (can you imagine if I did... :rofl:

But something else... I also don't tweak lots of knobs anymore and my approach to music creation is more organic than that. Yet, I don't disparage those who work that way. As stated earlier, FM is a consummate professional who produces high quality work. How he does it is his business and totally his call. That he does it is, at the very least, worth the dignity of a respectable debate without attacking him for it.

On behalf of all non-tweakers, I apologize to the 600+track-tweakers for the earlier comments. Again, an apology is really called for if the poster of the ad hominem is to be taken seriously again.

At least we're already in the o.t section! :unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Hey, Brother 'Nandito, how're you going, mate? Here... take this MonkeyLabs MoodBuster Transient After-Dinner Perception Cookie™... or this MonkeyLabs MoodMellower Chill Pill™. If neither helps, perhaps a course of MonkeyLabs CellPooClear™ detoxidefemacation supplement is in order?

Just ribbin' ya mate. The thing is 'though, that you've articulated in great detail what the issue is, and that's IMHO about all you can do. With any luck, the prominence of this thread will attract the attention it deserves from MOTU. Good on you for giving it a red-hot go. :headbang:
waxman wrote:Not my circus not my monkey.
Hang on Mr. G... if that's not your monkey then who or what is? Oh... yeah...

[Fits brand-new, poo-studded dog collar and presents Waxman with the lead...] :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Hey everybody! My new Samsung washing machine plays Schubert! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TpRsLdKVAg
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

cuttime wrote:Hey everybody! My new Samsung washing machine plays Schubert! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TpRsLdKVAg
That's nothin'! I got a pasta machine that plays Locatelli.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

nk_e wrote:Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

I got a feeling I know how this thread is going to go...

Good luck!
These threads are like the movie Groundhog Day.

I’ve been a member of this board a long time...much longer than my sig indicates because my original UID got hosed during the changeover some years back. Criticism threads pretty much always go this way over the last decade or so...

Someone says something critical.
Some folks agree, some disagree, some deny there’s a problem.
The thread loses value as at some point, the discussion becomes about the ability/work/musicianship/relevance of the OP and the deniers and devolves.
And it often involves the same set of actors.

IMHO: The reactions do come across as crotchety “you kids get off my lawn” stuff. The lesson I took away from this pattern is to “stay off of the lawn”, i.e., basically to ask for help when you need it, help others when you can...and don’t try to have these discussions here.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

MIDI Life Crisis

nk_e wrote:The lesson I took away from this pattern is to “stay off of the lawn”, i.e., basically to ask for help when you need it, help others when you can...and don’t try to have these discussions here.
That's easy to say when you have a 12 core! :lol:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I'll be honest, I've never been a big fan of the DPs MIDI CC editing philosophy, it feels... I dunno... kinda "hipster". There's no precision in it, I feel like they expect people to be randomly drawing lines and being super creative, like it's some kind of modern art project. And if the lines randomly re-orient themselves, don't worry, it's natural, let it happen!

Frankly, I hate it. Oh god do I yearn for true vector-based data with bezier handles. At the very least, the same kind of basic vector data that we get for automation. I don't care if MIDI needs discrete data points, so does automation, and the program translates that to individual values behind the scenes, why can't it do that with MIDI? But no, we get the opposite, discrete points get translated into a janky graphic line on a whim. And then they give is 50 individual tools to try and shape that data, where having true data with a few simple commands would accomplish the same tasks far more intuitively.

Love DP and the rest of the workflow. But every program has it's low points, or things that don't play nice with our particular interface philosophies, and for me, DPs CC editing is a real low point for me. That said, Shooshie will talk endlessly about how much he adores it and how it totally fits his work style, so I guess the lesson is, everyone is different and has different workflow needs. Overall, one thing I've always appreciated about DP is because of its expansiveness, how much it allows for many different work styles. I just wish they would take that philosophy to CC editing, and give us some tools that better fit non-"drawing program" based MIDI editing.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Might be worth mentioning that we're long overdue for an upgrade, about six months longer than the normal cycle, so my guess is it will drop in the next six months, hopefully. On another forum I visit for another DAW if an upgrade was long past due the amount of bickering that happened increased, just saying.

Yes, sometimes the responses back about a feature request or bug fix on this forum can come across as patronizing at best. No one cares if you only use DP like a reel to reel, personally I could give a rats ass if you're a professional or an avid hobbyist, I've heard smart and dumb things said from both groups. FM had a point, maybe it was said dramatically, but a feature is wonky at best in DP, because you don't use it, or see a need to use it, is irrelevant. It's a weird thing to witness, for instance people jumping down TDC's neck at certain times because he complains about Snapshot automation being broken because most of us don't use it. Why is that? Why do people feel threatened by someone having an issue with software?

I get it when it's a garbage claim, like "DP still has a 32 bit engine that's why it doesn't sound as good as Pro Tools!" Otherwise it's just bonkers to me.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

DP 10
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: But something else... I also don't tweak lots of knobs anymore and my approach to music creation is more organic than that. Yet, I don't disparage those who work that way. As stated earlier, FM is a consummate professional who produces high quality work. How he does it is his business and totally his call. That he does it is, at the very least, worth the dignity of a respectable debate without attacking him for it.
Wow! What a nice post. Thank you for standing up for a friend. I really appreciate that, as well as the workflow objectivity 8)

I'm all for "workflow diversity" too :)
MIDI Life Crisis wrote: On behalf of all non-tweakers, I apologize to the 600+track-tweakers for the earlier comments. Again, an apology is really called for if the poster of the ad hominem is to be taken seriously again.

At least we're already in the o.t section! :unicorn:
:lol: :lol:

This 600+TrackTweaker here would like to add something else to the topic...

There are 2 tools I use that make CC entering and editing a joy to work with. They are indispensable.
I'd go nuts withthout them, since they save so much time and really speed things up.

1.- My Novation SL keyboards.
These have lots of buttons, faders and knobs. They're all mapped to VSL's CCs, so to record any CC instantly I just move a physical fader or twist a knob. Voila... Beautiful!

2.- My QuicKeys Macros...
These let me do complex workflows by pressing a copule of keys. Things like changing the CC editor tool, changing the drawing mode or the Reshape tool are almost instantaneous.
BTW, you recommended I looked into QK years ago, so thank you for the tip again 8)

So working like this is fun and fast, and the faders & knobs makes it all feel more musical. Not having these 2 tools would make things really boring and tedious....
monkey man wrote:Hey, Brother 'Nandito, how're you going, mate? Here... take this MonkeyLabs MoodBuster Transient After-Dinner Perception Cookie™... or this MonkeyLabs MoodMellower Chill Pill™.
I'll take a full bottle of that one, thank you, Nicky :)
Monkey man wrote:Just ribbin' ya mate. The thing is 'though, that you've articulated in great detail what the issue is, and that's IMHO about all you can do. With any luck, the prominence of this thread will attract the attention it deserves from MOTU. Good on you for giving it a red-hot go. :headbang:
Yes! Hopefully they will read this thread and think about how to improve the mentioned issues.
I really think DP would be even better with those things fixed.

I would even do a unicorn calling chant if it helps them notice the thread :unicorn:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

FMiguelez wrote:I would even do a unicorn calling chant if it helps them notice the thread :unicorn:
I'll get right on it.

DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Is that Doris after a long night out?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Tell you what... I'll just scrub all commentary on other board members. That was easy. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

You can get forum software here:
https://www.phpbb.com/

Download, pay for hosting, install and start a forum. Enjoy.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!