Please recommend a great audio recorder for the field...

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Please recommend a great audio recorder for the field...

Post by stubbsonic »

On the topic of file compatibility; the H2n can produce files with the .WAV extension, and DP (v8, v9?) will want to see .wav (lower case). This may also be true of .AIF vs .aif
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

stubbsonic wrote:On the topic of file compatibility; the H2n can produce files with the .WAV extension, and DP (v8, v9?) will want to see .wav (lower case). This may also be true of .AIF vs .aif
Ummm, I've NEVER encountered that problem. Case is completely irrelevant, and realistically, DP isn't even looking at the extension anyway, only OS X is, and passing it up to DP. If DP can read the file, it will import it. Different manufacturers like to use upper or lowercase extensions on a whim, there's no difference in file type. My H4n produces .WAVs, and DP imports them without fail.

If you're having trouble importing from your H2n, I suspect it's a different issue entirely.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

mhschmieder wrote:https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... gIYEPD_BwE

The MixPre was the one I alluded to earlier, but the model above is the one I was familiar with. I didn't know about the even cheaper three-input version. I consider that VERY CHEAP for what it is.

I think I am now inclined towards the Sound Devices MixPre-3 over the other choices, for quick location work and live gigs, rehearsals, etc. But for foreign travel, I'd probably feel bound to an all-in-one type device.
I thought you mentioned $700? Which is what the MixPre-3 is. Yes, it's brand new. In fact, we were sitting on pre-orders for a good few months last summer waiting to get it. In any case, it's an amazing little unit. But even that "cheap" (paired with a, likely $400+ mic) we're talking a good 4x the price of an all-in-one Zoom or Tascam.

As for portability. I got THIS BAG. Which is just the right size to carry the MixPre, and my AT BP4025 on the blimp grip handle. When I travel, I'll often leave the full blimp at home, but you can detach the handle, and just use a dead cat on the mic for almost as good of results (unless you're in high wind). I also picked up a small travel tripod. I can throw all this in a carryon suitcase, and only fill about 1/3 of it. So I don't really bother bringing my H4n anymore.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Prime Mover wrote:Case is completely irrelevant, and realistically, DP isn't even looking at the extension anyway, only OS X is, and passing it up to DP. If DP can read the file, it will import it. Different manufacturers like to use upper or lowercase extensions on a whim, there's no difference in file type. My H4n produces .WAVs, and DP imports them without fail.

If you're having trouble importing from your H2n, I suspect it's a different issue entirely.
Might be only related to drag & drop. I changed the extension from .WAV and to .wav and in it went.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote:
Prime Mover wrote:Case is completely irrelevant, and realistically, DP isn't even looking at the extension anyway, only OS X is, and passing it up to DP. If DP can read the file, it will import it. Different manufacturers like to use upper or lowercase extensions on a whim, there's no difference in file type. My H4n produces .WAVs, and DP imports them without fail.

Might be only related to drag & drop. I changed the extension from .WAV and to .wav and in it went.
DP is more finicky than other apps in this regard. I have used QuickTime and TwistedWave to strip and replace the headers on audio files so that DP will accept them.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Curious. I wonder whether its the same dropping it into the window or onto the app icon? I've noticed some differences. I've never had a problem, though. Whatever method I use seems to be working.

But yeah, .wav and .WAV are identical files (considering the program making it doesn't do something weird). Reminds me of the old .html .HTML .htm extensions when doing web design. F**k the 90s.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It's strange. I've never been able to ID the issue as .WAV vs .wav etc.

There's a studio that I do some work for. I might get, say 30 tracks and I'll have to strip and rebuild the headers for anywhere from 2 to 10. Before I discovered batch processing in DSP-Q, I would fix them one at a time in QuickTime Pro (5, 6 or 7 tells you how long I've been dealing with it). Batch processing in TwistedWave is faster which is why I prefer it over DSP-Q. Perhaps Stefano will give is 64 bit this year?
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I must have seen an open box unit listed then as I saw MixPre3 for $500. At $700, it's not much less than the next model up -- whereas the 10-channel unit is $1800.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

As for upper-case vs. lower-case extensions, I am only aware of not being able to mouse-drag upper-case ".MID" files and having to switch them to lower-case ".mid" first.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

stubbsonic wrote:
monkey man wrote:I wanted to chime in earlier with this but haven't had an opportunity 'til now, when a 2-hour power outage meant there's a window available before I fire up the VPN again.

When researching this a few years ago I stumbled upon an assessment / comparison of the then-available (2 years ago) Zoom and Tascam units.

The Zooms where feature-rich and easy-to-use, but when it came to the quality of the noise they generated the Tascams won hands-down. Turns out the Zoom models' noise was harsh across the range and the Tascam units' smooth.

Just sharing this 'cause for some this stuff matters, even 'though the noise floors are very-low.
One thing about the H2n is that you HAVE to make sure the backlight for the display is off when recording something important. It does add a little noise-- but when the backlight is off, it's clean. I'm guessing the testers may not have known this.
Hey Stubbsy, it was the quality of the noise that was assessed, not the quantity. To some, it matters. Interesting factoid about the backlight 'though, so thanks mate.

I know I'm guilty of having assessed the quality of noise many times after purchasing synths. It always gave me a good feeling to know that low-level detail was being wrapped in a smooth coat of ocean-like noise. Occasionally one would find spitty, gnarly, harsh-sounding-and-inconsistent noise in off-the-shelf models, and I can tell you that in many cases I'd already decided they sounded hard-edged / a bit rough long before I became aware of the noise quality.

As I said, to some, it matters. I was immediately attracted to the Tascam after learning that, but ran out of funds, so still keen to grab a recorder one day. The last I had was the Sony portable DAT (TCD-D7 or something?) back in '94...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
dix

Post by dix »

Surprised no one has mentioned the Zoom H6.

I picked one up the other day for $350 and I'm super impressed. It comes with two capsules (XY and MS) that can be swapped for the onboard recorder (a shotgun is available too for $130) and then it has 4 more XLR inputs with phantom power. The pres are plenty clean and quiet enough for what I want to do. Not only is it easy use and sound good, it can also be used as a 6x2 I/O so you could record 6 channels directly into DP rather than to SD if you like. It does a lot more stuff too (separate line and headphone out, comp/limiters on all channels -20 pads to name a few)....plus it's solidly built in a rubbery housing with nice hardware dials to adjust input gains. Anyway, that's my reco.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I have invested recently in the Zoom F8 and a Rode NT-FS1 Ambisonic Mic. I will let you know how that goes and can send you example recordings if needed. In fact, I also have a question. From what I can see, DP doesn't support 4 channel tracks and busses. I would need that in order to use the Rode and Facebook Plug-ins in order to produce the final product. Is there no such possibility in DP?
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

The Polywav multi-channel files my Tascam DR-701D can store cannot be read directly by DP. Tascam does have an app that will either convert to mono or combine to Polywav, maybe it would work? PolyMonoConverter. I'm sure there are other options.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Although the Zoom iQ mics still work, the Handy Recorder app does not in iOS 12.1. In 12.1.2, functionality is limited—mono only. Other iOS recording apps such as Music Memos work although direct headphone monitoring is not supported.

The Shure MV88 mic and the MOTIV Audio app still work well. You need an iOS device with a headphone jack to monitor since the mic does not have its own. The Limiter works pretty well, however, and my recent recordings have turned out fine.

Shure has a new MOTIV Video.app that looks promising as soon as they fix it. At the moment, though videos can be recorded onto an iPhone or iPod, there’s no way to retrieve them. Current instructions can only work on an iPad. I’m working with Shure on this one—apparently, they didn’t know this.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mikehalloran wrote:Although the Zoom iQ mics still work, the Handy Recorder app does not in iOS 12.1. In 12.1.2, functionality is limited—mono only. Other iOS recording apps such as Music Memos work although direct headphone monitoring is not supported.

The Shure MV88 mic and the MOTIV Audio app still work well. You need an iOS device with a headphone jack to monitor since the mic does not have its own. The Limiter works pretty well, however, and my recent recordings have turned out fine.

Shure has a new MOTIV Video.app that looks promising as soon as they fix it. At the moment, though videos can be recorded onto an iPhone or iPod, there’s no way to retrieve them. Current instructions can only work on an iPad. I’m working with Shure on this one—apparently, they didn’t know this.
Updates:

Zoom's Handy Recorder app now works again in iOS 12.1.3, released this morning. There's a firmware update for the Zoom iQ5 microphone that's been out awhile—you update through the app.

Shure's MOTIV Video.app files can be retrieved through iCloud/Photos and can be renamed after the fact. They behave like any other video over iCloud—MOTIV Video is an API that lets you add the MV88's functionality to Photos video. This works only if you have the iCloud storage capacity however. I'm still working with Shure on this one and the documentation is still wrong.