First MSI Thoughts

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

spurn
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

First MSI Thoughts

Post by spurn »

I'm really happy with MSI and urge those of you who are interested to check it out. My only real criticism is how CPU intensive the convolution reverb is... on my dual 2 Gig G5 it's basically unusable with the buffer set at 128 (anything higher is too much latency for me). Also, the Mult presets promised on MOTU's web site don't seem to be included in the 1.0 release; maybe they'll show up for download soon.

But if you're looking for inexpensive, high-quality orchestral samples you really should check it out.
TechSupport

Re: First MSI Thoughts

Post by TechSupport »

Originally posted by spurn:
.... the Mult presets promised on MOTU's web site don't seem to be included in the 1.0 release; maybe they'll show up for download soon.
The multis can be found in:
/Library/Application Support/MOTU/MSI/MSI Performances
beldenmusic

Re: First MSI Thoughts

Post by beldenmusic »

Originally posted by spurn:
I'm really happy with MSI and urge those of you who are interested to check it out. My only real criticism is how CPU intensive the convolution reverb is... on my dual 2 Gig G5 it's basically unusable with the buffer set at 128 (anything higher is too much latency for me). Also, the Mult presets promised on MOTU's web site don't seem to be included in the 1.0 release; maybe they'll show up for download soon.

But if you're looking for inexpensive, high-quality orchestral samples you really should check it out.
I haven't had any issues with the reverb really dragging it down on my G5 2x2, but I do have 4GB of RAM so maybe that is the issue. Also, I am using it with Logic, so that could have someting to do with it as well. The verbs are nice sounding and flexible since it gives you 'sends' for each preset.

I agree, for the price MSI is a great deal, I'm even warming up to some of the solo instruments. If you have a controller the MIDI learn command is very handy and makes a huge difference.