Any Kawai K-5 and Unisyn owners out there?

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

JeffB42
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Any Kawai K-5 and Unisyn owners out there?

Post by JeffB42 »

If so, are you able to get Unisyn to work with your K-5? How?

I have the latest version on Unisyn running on OSX (10.2.8) (but this problem existed in the last OS9 version as well) and after I create the K-5 device in Unisyn, Unisyn goes out to communicate with the K-5, then the Updating Devices dialog appears, then reports that
"There was no reply from the device"

Here are the exact steps that I'm taking:

1. In Audio MIDI Setup, I add a new device, set it's MIDI Transmit and MIDI Recieve to 1, and set its SysEx ID to 1, and named it to K5
2. Connected the K5 device (in Audio MIDI Setup) to the FastLane device
3. Launched Unisyn and selected the "Add Device" menu
4. Selected the Kawai K5 profile
5. Set the Device ID to 1
6. Set the MIDI device (the popup menu in the Add Device dialog) to K5

At this point, the "Updating Devices" dialog appears, then reports that "There was no reply from the device"

Now, I've checked and I've re-checked, and my K-5 is...

* Configured correctly (at least acording to Unisyn's K-5 help profile)
* Attached correctly (I can send the K5 MIDI Note ON/Off messages via MIDI Apps on my mac and I can play notes on the K-5 and the MIDI apps on my mac receive the data.
* It isn't a problem with the K-5 itself because I've used other MIDI SysEx programs with it and this is the first case of there being an issue.

TIA,

Jeff
studiostuff

Re: Any Kawai K-5 and Unisyn owners out there?

Post by studiostuff »

Sometimes, if you don't name the device EXACTLY the same as the profile name, UNISYN wants you to explain to it that what you're calling the box is not what it's looking for.

Command-M open the big devices window.

Double click on the synth.

A box will open that will let you rename the synth and several other things. About half way down, there's the words, "MIDI Device" with a drop-down selector window next to it.

If that drop-down window says, "NONE", you need to teach UNISYN what synth you're talking about.

That's tripped me several times.
JeffB42

Re: Any Kawai K-5 and Unisyn owners out there?

Post by JeffB42 »

No, I wish that were the issue. Right now, I have a device within Audio MIDI setup called "Kawai K-5/K-5m" (that's the EXACT name of the Unisyn instrument profile) and it's got the following settings:

Device Name: Kawai K-5/K-5m
Manufacturer: Kawai
Model: K-5/K-5m

Transmits & Receives are both set to 1 and the SysEx ID is 1

Inside Unisyn, the device name is Kawai K-5/K-5m, the profile is Kawai K-5/K-5m, and the Device ID is set to 1 (and Switcher Program, Switch To send, and Default Play Channel are each set to none).