Replacing Keylab 61

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Replacing Keylab 61

Post by dix »

supersonic wrote:...But it's advanced functionality does need the proprietary software. It would if they work out some sort of open platform for this.
Right. Or if the S61Mk2 were able to work with NKS instruments without the Komplete Kontrol shell. I'm thinking the new MIDI-CI spec recently announced might make something like this possible.

Another thing that baffles me about NI hardware system is that KK is organized around the onboard screen to the detriment of the VI's GUI. I've got three huge LCD's in front of me, but KK compels me to fiddle with the knobs and dinky screen on the keyboard to browse patches. Good for laptop and iMac users maybe, but, again, not for users like me.

Info on new MIDI spec https://www.MIDI.org/articles/MIDI-manu ... cification
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Now THAT sounds VERY interesting. MIDI is in need of overhaul.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

"control of drones from a keyboard instrument"? I can't wait.

But yes, it's time for an update, as long as MIDI remains reasonably universal, and doesn't end up a load of proprietary protocols.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dix

Post by dix »

Following up to say I returned the S61mk2 for a Novation Impulse.

I actually went to Guitar Center and tried a bunch. The Impulse and the Akai controllers felt the best. The Impulse was cheaper so I went for it. So far I like it a lot. Feels about as good as the S61 but has much more useful functionality as a controller.

Although it’s not listed as such on the Novation website their Automap software is compatible with DP (DP can not catch a break!) - apart from transport control the software also creates “Automap” versions of any plugin you designate. The knobs and faders then correlate with the plugin’s parameters. However, so far I’m not finding Automap all that useful. It’s a bit fiddly and cumbersome. Just using the MIDI functions is plenty. It occurred to me that I can use the pads to trigger key switches regardless of what octave the keyboard is playing so I’ve created separate templates for that (creating templates is ez).

Anyway so far so good with the Impulse.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com