828es Performing Like a Champ via USB

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 828es Performing Like a Champ via USB

Post by HCMarkus »

dix wrote:I'm trying to figure out if the 1/4" TRS outputs on the 828es have the same specs as the Main Outs. I do a lot of surround mixing and was planning on using 1/4" TRS outputs as my mix monitor outputs, not, necessarily, the XLR Main Outputs.

Is the only diff between the Main Outs and the TRS outs the connector config, or are the Mains better? Do all the TRS outs have the ESS Sabre32 ADCs?

Thx
My understanding is yes, all the same. Note that you must float the ring on ES outputs if connecting to unbalanced inputs. The matrix allows setting up just as you describe, and is how I went at it: Main Outs XLR are my stereo monitor source and labeled Monitor B; the balanced TRS Line Outs 1-6 feed my surround monitoring rig. They are set up as Monitor A, as is required to feed 5.1.
dix

Post by dix »

Cool. Thanks. MOTU just confirmed the same. The only dif is the connector type.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
locojohn

Post by locojohn »

dix wrote:Cool. Thanks. MOTU just confirmed the same. The only dif is the connector type.
Interesting. Straight from 828es manual there's a slight difference in THD+N in favour of Main Out:

Line Out:
Connector Type 1/4” Female, TRS Balanced, tip hot
Dynamic Range 123 dB A-weighted
THD+N -108 dB -2 dBFS, Unweighted, 1 kHz
Frequency Response +0, -0.1 dB, 20 Hz/20 kHz Ref. 1 kHz
Max Level Out +20 dBu

Main Out:
Connector Type XLR Male
Dynamic Range 123 dB A-weighted
THD+N -109 dB -2 dBFS, Unweighted, 1 kHz
Frequency Response +0, -0.1 dB, 20 Hz/20 kHz Ref. 1 kHz
Max Level Out +20 dBu

Also, the manual says:
Independent XLR main outs
The XLR main outs are equipped with very high
quality
ESS Sabre32 D/A converters and serve as
independent outputs for the computer or the
828es on-board mixer.
I wonder if the statement above gives main outputs additional bonus compared to TRS outputs.

In addition, main outputs and TRS outputs seem to differ in the following:

Quarter-inch outputs can be trimmed in the DAC
itself. Range is 24 dB.

The Main Outs and Phones provide full trim range
from 0 dB to -∞ (-127).