Help Getting Started

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

jlazarus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Help Getting Started

Post by jlazarus »

Just got v2.1 for a Panther system. My needs are meager in the scheme of what Unisysn is supposed to do. But I find the manual somewhat inscrutable for the basic tasks.

All I care about is getting a Patch List together with multiple banks for a Gigastudio set-up. Since it's Gigastudio, I'm not drawing from a pre-established device. The generic device doesn't seem to work for me.

I'm sure it's something simple. If someone could nudge me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful...
jlazarus

Re: Help Getting Started

Post by jlazarus »

Further to my last post: from what I can gather, it seems like Unisyn depends on the premise that you are using sound modules that already have Unisyn device definitions. Is this true? What if - like me - you are mainly using non standardized modules (i.e. a Gigasampler, or an E4 with completely custom banks)? Can I build something completely from scratch?
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I'm not sure what to say. I see a double conundrum here. First of all, you're correct that Unisyn basically only works with devices for which there is an existing Profile. Secondly, I'm not sure that such a profile could be written for Gigastudio, unless you're talking about a hardware device. I am only familiar with the VI Gigastudio sampler, which wouldn't be very compatible with Unisyn. Cherrypicker might be more help, or CDXtract for OSX. I'm sorry not to have any better news than that. Unisyn could be improved by making it compatible with software samplers/synths, but I don't know if it's possible.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Releaux

Post by Releaux »

I'll have to echo Mooshie here... there's really no way to use Unisyn with a device it doesn't already know about.

The reliance on profiles is, in my opinion, simultaneously both Unisyn's greatest strength and weakness. It's a strength in that you're going to get a really good editor and librarian for those devices it supports. It's a weakness in that it's more or less useless with new or less-popular devices unless someone can write a profile.

Which brings up strength/weakness number two... unless things have changed with version 2, profile writing is extremely complex as you not only have to know the device's sysex protocol inside and out (which is hard enough), but you essentially have to be a programmer as well. It also used to be that getting the developer kit from MOTU more or less required national security clearance.

<small>[ November 21, 2004, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Ray Toler ]</small>
--
DP 11.3. |. MOTU 24Ai x2, Behringer ADA8200 x3, MOTU MTP-AV USB x2, MOTU MTP-AV x2.
Too much software, too much hardware, not enough time.
Mac Studio M1 Ultra (20/48 Core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 13.6.4 Ventura)
Mac Pro 5,1 (3.46GHz 12-core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave)
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Of course, that "2nd weakness" is self-created. Before Unisyn (and those like it, such as Galaxy), each librarian handled one synth only, or in some cases, one family of synths. Unisyn raises expectations of itself by seeming to be able to do them all. Of course, it can't unless someone gives it the keys and roadmaps to each new device. The way synths are programmed is so different from maker to maker that it's hard to believe they can all be edited via MIDI commands in the first place. I haven't even checked to see if you can edit the K2600's Setups and QuickAccess modes in Unisyn. I'm guessing you can, but there are a lot of parameters! More than there are MIDI controllers!

Anyway, it's nice to have something that attempts to do it. Every little bit helps.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Releaux

Post by Releaux »

Originally posted by Shooshie:
Of course, that "2nd weakness" is self-created. Before Unisyn (and those like it, such as Galaxy), each librarian handled one synth only, or in some cases, one family of synths. Unisyn raises expectations of itself by seeming to be able to do them all.

...snip...

Anyway, it's nice to have something that attempts to do it. Every little bit helps.

Shooshie
Absolutely. It's also nice that when MOTU acquired the product, that they worked to get integration with Performer/Digital Performer.

It's understandable, if unfortunate, that the "average Joe" can't easily write a profile, even with a good grasp of a particular device's SYSEX protocol. I can get my head around the SYSEX part, especially with a decent description from a manual, but I'm no software programmer, so writing a profile is sadly out of my reach.

I'd love to have a profile for, say, my Rocktron Chameleon or Lexicon MPX-100, but those are older devices with a finite audience, and probably not worth the time for Bob Melvin & company to develop.
--
DP 11.3. |. MOTU 24Ai x2, Behringer ADA8200 x3, MOTU MTP-AV USB x2, MOTU MTP-AV x2.
Too much software, too much hardware, not enough time.
Mac Studio M1 Ultra (20/48 Core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 13.6.4 Ventura)
Mac Pro 5,1 (3.46GHz 12-core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave)
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Well, Ray, a short story here:

Years ago, when I was an agent, one of my shows was a brass ensemble with drums. They were from Dallas, but I won't mention their name, as will become apparent shortly. They actually had a better show than Canadian Brass, and everywhere I sent them, the presenters called back or wrote glowing reports and had them back again and again--sometimes every season! Great group. But they had one annoying problem. The leader of the group would contact the presenters with a list of demands a mile long. He would ask for the moon. If he didn't get what he asked for, that was ok. But it was embarrassing to me, as his agent, that he might be alienating my clients by asking for so much. You know--backstage amenities, special transportation from the airport, rented cars, special meals, special rooms, extra this and that.

I asked him one day why he asked for everything, when he knew it was out of reach of most of these presenters. He said his dad taught him to ask for everything... because he just might get it.

And you know? He always got more than everyone else. Squeaky wheels get greased, I guess. I still have trouble asking for everything, but when it's something important, I've got no qualms about writing or calling and saying "I've gotta have this." I got a lot of things put in Performer and Digital Performer this way. So, if you need something in Unisyn, start calling and being a squeaky wheel. A polite one, but a persistent one. One of these days, someone's going to say, "let's grease that wheel."

Shooshie
RCory

Post by RCory »

Speaking of software synths..It could be possible to have Unisyn edit them (with a profile) When I have DP and Unisyn running at the same time, and I have a SoftSynth in DP, the device shows up in the "Create Device" list!

Maybe MOTU is planning for the future!
dixiechicken

Post by dixiechicken »

Unisyn profiles are documents written in xml-syntax.

They are plain ASCI-files editable in any text-editor.

You can even edit write/compose them in Word
provided you save them as ASCI-files.

They must have the - *.midnam - suffix attched to the filename -- i.e. Kurzweil-26000.midnam.

Cheers: Dixiechicken
------
My God it's full of stars....
------
Mac Pro 6-Core Intel Nehalem/Xeon 2.93 GHz 32-GB ram, OS-X 10.13.5-Swe, DP-9.52, Unisyn-2.11, 828-MkII,MTP-AV usb, Latest drvs, Wavearts plugs, Kurzweil-2000, Proteus-2000, EPS-16, Pod-II,
Digitech RP-155, Soundcraft UI-16, Emes Kobalt monitors.
------