Wanting a solid control surface for DP 9.5

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Wanting a solid control surface for DP 9.5

Post by Gravity Jim »

Here's the behavior I'm seeing:

The jog wheel seems to have an On and Off position: when I press down on the wheel, each time it either responds or doesn't, depending on what it was doing before the last wheel "press."

If I scrolled back to zero and kept turning the wheel, I had to turn the jog wheel back "On" by pressing down on it to make it work.

This isn't a big deal for me, as I rarely use the jog wheel. I just wanted sliders and pan knobs.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
seedylee
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by seedylee »

Hmm, behaviour I'm getting is slightly different. Either way, it seems buggy as hell at the moment and I will probably go back to 9.5 until (if) it's fixed. It's disappointing because being able to snap the wiper to the grid is a nice feature and would benefit me greatly.

What I really want is a controller that integrates with a DAW sufficiently reliably that I can actually just use the controller as a remote for my DAW. However, the implementation is generally so half-arsed (either on the software or the hardware side) that I am stills truggling to find a good, reliable solution after a decade of searching.

#grumble
waxman

Post by waxman »

MOTU is a hardware company. Why they do not make an integrated custom control surface for DP 10 is puzzling. The Raven works well since DP has screen size adjustments. PT has the S3, PreSonus has the StudioLive... Please MOTU go for it!
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
seedylee

Post by seedylee »

If Motu released a well-integrated control surface, and also worked on further integrating DP with the CueMix functionality in their audio interfaces to support more advanced routing functions, I think they would be in a very unique position in the market

All the components are there, they just need to bring them together.
micihch
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by micihch »

I'm also thinking (again) about getting a controller. It's along time since I fiddled with this sort of stuff, but it seems that you could (if your nerdy enough and have the time) to almost setup something like the X-Touch in any way you want using something like Max. At least that's what I'm getting from this video (it's about cubase but should apply to DP, too):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esOnlGyvTs4
seedylee

Post by seedylee »

So I'm still having problems getting a good control setup going with Digital Performer.

The jog wheel still isn't working properly on DP 10.01 with an MCU I bought. It seems there's no way to configure an external MIDI controller to control the record arm / solo / mute status of tracks. And MOTU's own DP Control iOS app seems to have long been abandoned.

So it seems to me that the principal way to use DP is to sit in front of your computer with a keyboard and mouse? Has anyone else found good options for tracking and playing instruments at the same time without constantly having to move back to the computer?
waxman

Post by waxman »

seedylee wrote:So I'm still having problems getting a good control setup going with Digital Performer.

The jog wheel still isn't working properly on DP 10.01 with an MCU I bought. It seems there's no way to configure an external MIDI controller to control the record arm / solo / mute status of tracks. And MOTU's own DP Control iOS app seems to have long been abandoned.

So it seems to me that the principal way to use DP is to sit in front of your computer with a keyboard and mouse? Has anyone else found good options for tracking and playing instruments at the same time without constantly having to move back to the computer?
Just get a Raven and get into the Batch Command System. It will take about a week of a learning curve but it is very easy once you have the BC's set up because everything is labeled and laid out great with now page scrolling etc...
Raven is by far the best controller out there until you jump up to a $20k Protools system. Then there is that.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

I may have posted this earlier, but if you can find an old Behringer BCF2000 controller, I have mapped its Mackie emulation for DP in this article here.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65913&p=560116&hil ... 00#p560116

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
waxman

Post by waxman »

terrybritton wrote:I may have posted this earlier, but if you can find an old Behringer BCF2000 controller, I have mapped its Mackie emulation for DP in this article here.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65913&p=560116&hil ... 00#p560116

Terry
I had the BCF2000. It would have been fine but the moving faders were loud and annoying. Sounded like a model train going down the tracks. That was a deal killer for me.
waxman
waxman

Post by waxman »

Another option is an iPad and VPro... that gives you faders and a few options. Just kind of small. There are other options. For mixing in ITB Andrew Schepps just uses a single fader pro and a laptop. I like that combo because of the trackpad on the laptop keeps everything ergonomic and the fader pro gives that tactile feel. But for tracking it's kind of clunky. For all-around performance, the Raven is the best option.
waxman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

waxman wrote:I had the BCF2000. It would have been fine but the moving faders were loud and annoying. Sounded like a model train going down the tracks. That was a deal killer for me.
I agree. I have one and it’s useful to write in ramps, fades and such, but you don’t want it working all through a mix.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dwilliams

Post by dwilliams »

seedylee wrote:The Behringer X-Touch works pretty well in DP 9.5 in Mackie Control mode, with a few caveats.

Firstly, you need to remap several of the controls on the X-Touch so that the printed functions match DP 9. This is because Digital Performer itself had different mappings on the original Mackie Control for which they had no overlay, and also because the X-Touch doesn't have the complete set of MCU buttons. This is pretty easy to do, but requires having a copy of the original Mackie Control layout and a copy of the DP overlay for cross-reference.
May I ask exactly how you did this? I've been trying for hours with no success. If I go into commands and press a button on the X-Touch One, DP doesn't seem to recognize it. If I manually input a value (such as Eb0 to assign cycle), the X-Touch One still doesn't execute the command. There are other buttons sending useless commands, such as a button that isn't the transport playback button causing playback to start. What mode do you have your X-Touch on? How did you reprogram the buttons? Thanks.
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* 15" Mid-2019 MBP 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.5. TB: UA Apollo QuadFW w/TB card, Satellite OctoTB2 & OctoTB3, PreSonus Quantum 4848 TB2; USB 2.0: Ext USB3 drives, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III , Revv Generator 120 MK3; USB 3.0: Stream Deck XL, M Audio Oxygen 49, Akai MPD218, Console One Mk3, SSL UC1, X-Touch U; HDMI: 34" 16:9 & 32" 2K Monitors
* DP 11.31
seedylee

Post by seedylee »

It's a bit of a pain, but essentially the issue is that Digital Performer had its own overlay for the original Mackie Control Units, which means that even on the original Mackie Control, the functions printed on the control surface don't match what they do in DP.

The Behringer is sending the correct commands as printed on the fascia, but there's no overlay included for the X-Touch. Also, the subset of buttons implemented on the X-Touch isn't so useful for Digital Performer.

The trick is to use the "MC Custom" mode on the X-Touch, which you can enable by holding Stop and pressing the pan knob in. Once you do that, you can change the Mackie command sent for each button. What you'll need to do is check the DP manual to see how DP responds to each of the Mackie commands and map them accordingly.

Me? I gave up with control surfaces and just ordered myself an analogue mixer. Unless you get a specific combination, they often don't work (and I've tried many combinations).

So if anyone wants a near-new Behringer X-Touch cheap, let me know!
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Gravity Jim wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:05 am I'm using an Icon Platform-M controller, and the jog wheel works with DP10. Not as smoothly as I might like, but it does jog by one-measure increments, as described above.

The rest of the sliders and knobs work flawlessly.
Gravity Jim....
I just updated to DP10. Wondering if you're still happy with the Platform M as I've been considering going in that direction. I'm really just looking for a small-footprint controller that enables me to ride faders in a mix and my single-channel FaderPort is no longer reliable.

Thanks.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Yeah, I'm running DP 10 and the Icon Platform M is still cooking.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]