Not able to switch between patches

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

Cinemactive Sound
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Not able to switch between patches

Post by Cinemactive Sound »

:e :confused:

Can Someone please help? I have a Roland XP-60 which I use as my main synthesizer. I bought Unisyn to use as an editor and Librarian and to edit my patches, but I am having some difficulty.

In a Unisyn Document , After I double click on a patch, I try to play the sound using the screen keys. I do hear only the patch that my Roland XP-60 is set to. The manual tells me that I should be able to double click each patch in the document and my synth will "automatically switch to that patch" which it is not doing

If I can't remotely switch between my patches I can not edit them. I have done everything I know and have read the profile help but can't find anything, Can someone help me. Thanks very Much....A Dedicated MOTU Fan
Adam M Mensh
Audio Storyteller

Envision The Music
Shooshie

Re: Not able to switch between patches

Post by Shooshie »

Whew! Adam, I don't know where to start. Not having a Roland, I'm at a huge disadvantage trying to trouble shoot your setup. The problem here is that there are SO many variables. Let's go about it this way:

••• first, will your Roland take patch changes in Digital Performer? In other words, is it set for external control? Do you first have to unprotect memory?

••• When you try to send a patch, what do you see on the Roland's display? Does it say anywhere that memory is locked, or that the buffer is overloaded, etc.?

••• Does your profile for the Roland XP-60 say that you must use any particular channel for your remote edit buffer? In my Kurzweil 2600, the ONLY slot in which I can play with patches that way, and edit them, is Program 600. Out of 1000 patches, that's the only one that allows non-local editing. There is a reason for that, but I won't go into it here. When I have a bank of patches the way I want them, then I can upload the whole bank. But individual patches can only be sent to that one slot.

••• Have you explored the channel options? I'm assuming you can download banks of patches, or you wouldn't be trying to edit them. So, have you tried uploading a bank? Hmmm... never mind... come to think of it, you could not transmit the signal to send a bulk dump from your Roland to Unisyn if the Roland was not able to receive commands, so the channels are almost certainly correct. Also, if you've been able to trigger a bulk dump of any banks into Unisyn, then you've got the Device ID set correctly.

••• Ok, what about the mode for editing patches? I haven't read the Roland profile help, but some devices require that you edit the patch, then send the patch. In other words, some devices won't accept remote editing in real time. So, you may have to send it each time you edit, which means you have to SAVE it before you send it. (always work on a copy, by the way!)

••• Do you have any MIDI filters on in your MIDI interface? If you have a MIDI Time Piece, the Clockworks software allows for setting filters. You could be filtering SYSEX bulk data on the upload end. You'd probably remember that, though.

You can see the difficulty of trying to make software interface with so many different devices. But Roland is such a standard, I'm 100% certain that Unisyn has been designed to work with it. If you don't get anywhere from my memory prods above, I suggest you call MOTU and talk to them, see if you can get in touch with the author of the profile, and/or find a Roland forum to compare notes on how to use an editor-librarian with your device.

I'll check back here to see if there is anything I can do for you. Sorry I can't be more specific. Short of sending me a Roland, I just have no way to walk through it with you. Of course... that WOULD be an option... ;)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Cinemactive Sound

Thanks Shooshie for responding so fast! I am in the process of trying out the suggestions you made and will report back asap. While reading the UNISYN Manual last night, it suggested to turn off local control on my Keyboard. Do you have to do this on your Kurzweil?

Also, I am able to send sysex messsages because on my LCD on the Roland it reads "transmitting SYSEX data" and the MIDI sent window in Unisyn rapidly displays MIDI HEX data whenever I attempt to transmit.

I forgot to mention that when I attempt to remotely switch between patches the Roland tries to switch and then instantly reverts back to it's set default patch.

In other words, for example: my Roland is set locally to Bright Piano 064. When I attempt to double click another patch, lets say Fantasy Vox 84, in my Unisyn Document, the LCD on the Roland shows that the Bright Piano tries to switch to the next patch but immediately reverts back to Bright Piano. HMM??

Again Thanks for the rapid response as I continue troubleshooting :-)
Adam M Mensh
Audio Storyteller

Envision The Music
Cinemactive Sound

I fixed the problem!! It was really quite simple after all. I feel so stupid for not seeing this earlier. As it turns out, my XP-60 was in the wrong mode. My XP-60 has three modes, Perform Patch, and Rhythm.

There are three corresponding buttons on my synth for each mode with one little twist. In order to remotely switch back and forth I have to have the performance button pushed at the same time the patch button is pushed, thus both buttons light up and BINGO!! Now I can remotely switch and edit all my patches because I am in the correct mode. I am psyched!! I even tested the editing capabilities in Unisyn and had GREAT SUCCESS Remotely. Shooshie, Thanks for all your help.

With all my AV Experience I should have known it was just simply one button causing all of the problems. Thanks again. Hopefully no more SYNTH problems will arise, I prefer looking at my Monitor to edit patches anyday rather than straining my eyes to look at my LCD. Thanks again,

UNISYN RULES!!!!
:D
Adam M Mensh
Audio Storyteller

Envision The Music
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Great! Glad it's working. I had a suspicion it was something like that. Sometimes it's memory protection. With most devices, though, Unisyn is able to set the mode properly (as long as mem protect is off). I guess the Roland doesn't allow that.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|