DP Users should hold off on High Sierra (9/18/17)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP Users should hold off on High Sierra

Post by waxman »

Thanks Phil and Mike. Are there benefits to HS over Sierra?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

waxman wrote:Thanks Phil and Mike. Are there benefits to HS over Sierra?
A few, yes. According to Andrew on the FB page, DP 9.52 runs better and I agree.

DP aside, there is the Snapshots feature that lets you restore your entire system in minutes if you really screw something up — as I did when I upgraded to 10.13.4 with a USB monitor (oops!). This only works with SSDs formatted APFS.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64689

If using any 3rd party monitor solution except eGPU over Thunderbolt 3, upgrade to 10.13.3 and no further. This includes eGPU over TB 1 & 2, USB through a DisplayLink Box (me) and any of those apps that let you use an iPad as an additional monitor. A USB-C or TB/Mini DVI to HDMI adapter is fine — those are just pin adapters and you are still using your Mac's GPU.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just a reminder... this topic was originally opened quite some time ago... September of 2017... I think I'll append the date of the original post to the topic header.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bdr

Re: DP Users should hold off on High Sierra (9/18/17)

Post by bdr »

So I upgraded to HS from El Capitan, and then proceeded to spend 6-8 hours trying to get my Mac to boot again. (yes, I had a backup but even getting access to that was funky).

Needless to say, I'm back on El Capitan. I guess I could try a clean install on a spare drive, its only for a couple of pieces of software that won't sync anymore on El Cap.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

James Steele wrote:Just a reminder... this topic was originally opened quite some time ago... September of 2017... I think I'll append the date of the original post to the topic header.
Thanks, James. I'm thinking about going from Sierra to HS and have been reading through a lot of these posts.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net