Help, opinions on a cd insert layout

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Help, opinions on a cd insert layout

Post by Timeline »

OK

Have an album finished on a band from Wisconsin that's not really a band. More like a recording solo artist project with the same backup guys as their first record. This is the second.

The name of the album is "PLAYY ON" which is sort of a double entendra for f__king around 'and' keeping the music going
regardless of hopes of ever succeeding and named after one of the songs.

The front cover would be simple 'name of band' and 'Play On' over black. Inside black with pics?

What I'm curious about is how important it would be to show
pics of the players inside the fold out?

I could it show them as a individuals playing i.e. drummer guitar player, lead vocalist separately etc.

What would you do & how important is this for a studio recording band album project.

Would pics of them make any difference to you?

I don't know and they don't know either.

The stuff is rock-pop

www.eirec.com/mp3.html

Thanks
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
Jim

Re: Help, opinions on a cd insert layout

Post by Jim »

If they're doing retail distribution, the inner art work probably doesn't matter... the customers have to buy it to see it, right?

As much as it pains me to say this, if you plan on putting your dudes on the cover, they need to look like rockers... you know, unkempt hair, pierced ears, tattoos galore, slacker wardrobe...

Seriously though, and I can only speak for myself, but I'm curious as to what the musicians look like. Brand X never put any photos on/in their albums, and I still bought most of them. I think that a lot of fans like as much info as you can provide about the "artists." But, everybody will have their own opinion. It's not a science.

I listened to a couple of your mixes. Nice work!
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by chrispick »

Originally posted by Timeline:
OK

Have an album finished on a band from Wisconsin that's not really a band. More like a recording solo artist project with the same backup guys as their first record. This is the second.

The name of the album is "PLAYY ON" which is sort of a double entendra for f__king around 'and' keeping the music going
regardless of hopes of ever succeeding and named after one of the songs.

The front cover would be simple 'name of band' and 'Play On' over black. Inside black with pics?

What I'm curious about is how important it would be to show
pics of the players inside the fold out?

I could it show them as a individuals playing i.e. drummer guitar player, lead vocalist separately etc.

What would you do & how important is this for a studio recording band album project.

Would pics of them make any difference to you?

I don't know and they don't know either.

The stuff is rock-pop

www.eirec.com/mp3.html

Thanks
I think it's only a good idea to show pictures of a band if it'll definitely serve as a positive marketing tool. That is, if the band exudes coolness, wackiness, sexiness, cleverness, etc. Otherwise, forgo it.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Thanks for the input.

Well the band looks ok but I'm glad to hear about Brand X cause it might be hard to these guys together even for a photo shoot.

Thanks again
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
lampostudio

Post by lampostudio »

Contact

Cathy
shaddowkatt@yahoo.com

She does real good work
Al Chisare
Lamp Post Studio
www.lprstudio.com