Writing Gig in NY but live in LA

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
Max Kinberg
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Writing Gig in NY but live in LA

Post by Max Kinberg »

Hope this is the right forum for this.

I'm trying to figure out how I can make it easy on myself to write music for an off broadway play while it's in rehearsal. In other words, the producer/director would likely hire me but is concerned about the LA/NY distance and how we would work it out. So, can someone suggest a course of action? It would be a little cumbersom to schlepp my computer, motu XT, 2408 and Gigasampler to NY if you get my drift. If it helps, I work with Digital performer 4.0 and the
above set up. And I'm thinking I could just write the music there. Is there an econmically feasible arrangement I could make with a studio in NY? Is there a way I could rent a set-up for 3 or 4 weeks while staying in NY?

Max
BKK-OZ

Re: Writing Gig in NY but live in LA

Post by BKK-OZ »

Have you thought about video-conferencing and doing it remotely?

Before you scoff, many productions are done this way now - even LOR. The composer was in London, they were in NZ.

Of course, they had high-end gear, but the same principal would apply with isight, etc. You could FTP mp3's of rough cuts, etc. and make the physical trek for key meetings.

The technology is pretty good, and getting better all the time. When sites like Digital Musician Net get going, it will be even easier.

$0.02
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
tsd3000
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by tsd3000 »

Because its a play its dificult to score without spending time in the room with the players, feeling out the ques etc...but for film/TV/radio stuff the internet/ vid way works fine.

the last time i scored an interstate play, i flew up there and stayed with a friend. I took a powerbook with a little usb keyboard and headphones, as well as a mic. it worked well, i could just sit in the rehearsal space and write away. I went back to the studio to mix, and voice the MIDI with the good sounds, then send the the que's back.
Max Kinberg

Post by Max Kinberg »

Trent-

Thanks for your reponse. That's what I've been thinking about, a powerbook I mean. I went to the apple store to see if someone their at their "Genius Counter" could guide me but they didn't know about DP 4.0 or MIDI. So what you're saying is through a MIDI device I can use a keyboard to score the show? Yes, he does want me there if he was to hire me so I would be writing pretty much during the rehearsal process and bringing in ideas to play on a CD. But what about the final version. Can I get reasomably good sounds like the giga piano or ;
Max Kinberg

Post by Max Kinberg »

Sorry, I didn't finish before a picture fell on my keyboard and hit the send button!!

Anyway, can I load a sample like the giga piano and/or lets say, a clarinet from the Siedlaczek orchestra without having to use sound modules and play them right from digital performer?

Thanks
Max
m2

Post by m2 »

Max, you know you could get something like Kontact which is not unlike GIGA Studio, but runs as a VI. Use that for sample sounds on the road with a PWRbook and some simple light keyboard. Keep the sound palate sinple for the sketch phase of the writing. Kontact would not be a bad thing to own at the end of the day. That way all you are schlepping is a laptop, a small keyboard, and probably a FW drive.

Then either fly home with the sketches and flesh them out in your studio, or put together a relationship with some studio in NYC to do the final tracks. THere's got ot be a place there. . . .
Dual 2G-G5/2G ram/Digidesign HD2 Accel/Sony DMX R-100/MeyerHD-1&NS-10s - Hafler Ars Nova/DP5.12/PT7.3.1/2.0+TByte/GigaS3
dougieb

Post by dougieb »

Talk to your accountant - NY is pretty nasty in the tax dept. and you might end up paying state taxes in both jurisdictions.

If you're interested in ways of reducing or eliminating the risk of this, feel free to contact me directly.

~doug