Alternatives to eBay?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
billf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Alternatives to eBay?

Post by billf »

I have a bunch of older gear that I need to sell and I am wondering if there are good alternatives to eBay. Not that I have anything against eBay, but is there something more focused on selling studio gear?

Thanks.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
bufdaddy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Alternatives to eBay?

Post by bufdaddy »

you could go to harmonycentral.com and post gear. it seems to be a booming place for used gear sales.

-jon
billf

Post by billf »

Originally posted by bufdaddy:
you could go to harmonycentral.com and post gear. it seems to be a booming place for used gear sales.

-jon
Thanks, I'll check it out.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
ADino

Post by ADino »

Sonicstate/gasstation http://www.sonicstate.com

They have a free page for buying selling, havent used it in awhile, but its active. I have some older stuff also, but sometimes dont care to get into the ebay thing..
yofo

Post by yofo »

Hello billf , It is time for someone to challenge ebay. The original concept of regular folks selling to one another has been swallowed buy pro ebayers selling stuff cheap because they operate with no overhead. This is great for buying say , computer parts . Ebay has become a world where anyone can start a business with out brick and morter . Thats great if you want a firewire for $5 instead of $30 at your local store. But for selling gear or in my case ,guitars ,Ebays'gone down hill. First of all, the feedback rating is a JOKE . The shrewd seller kinows not to leave feedback first ,essentially blackmailing the buyer into Not leaving him negitive feedback. So even if the buyer gets ripped off , they don't want to leave neg. feedback because they don't want to receive neg. feedback . Also the last two guitars that I have sold on Ebay were won buy people that didn't have the money to pay for them ! So heres my suggestion for the new and improved online auction house with a solution for the deadbeat bidder and retaliatory feedback . When someone bids , they are essentially "buying it" . They would have to have an account with a credit or check card just like paypal so if they won ,their card or account would be charged instantly . If they didn't win they obviously would not be charged . And so if you removed the possibility of the buyer not paying , then there's no need for feedback for the buyer. Feedback would only be for the seller with no chance for retaliation. What do you think ?
Mac OSX 10.6.8 2 x 2.66 GHz dual-core Intel Xeon 8GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM RME Fireface 800
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

billf wrote:I have a bunch of older gear that I need to sell and I am wondering if there are good alternatives to eBay. Not that I have anything against eBay, but is there something more focused on selling studio gear?

Thanks.
Craig's List...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
billf

Post by billf »

Thanks guys. Since I posted the orginal message, I did try one of the eBay seller services in my local area. The initial experience was okay. Basically they got 10% of the selling price to handle the auction and do the shipping. It was up to me to take the pictures, do the description, and deliver that to them on a CD. I still have a bunch of gear that I want to get rid of, so I'll probably use them again.

As for eBay itself, I think it has gotten much worse. To set up an account they want way too much personal info now, and I don't feel comfortable leaving all that info on eBay. I just don't trust them enough. At least by going through a seller service, I'm insulated on that front. And the service knows how to deal with buyers who are less than earnest, so I don't have to.
ADino

Post by ADino »

Have to agree about ebay. Used to be so much better awhile back. Purchased some samples 2 weeks ago and Im still waiting for them, so Im not crazy about it at all. Anyone else have any site ideas?