Dorico - An Ongoing Journey

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Dorico - An Ongoing Journey

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

mhschmieder wrote:Regarding Michael's dilemma about Doritos vs. Silly Bailius, I think the attached photo answers that question quite well, as Doritos are quite unpalatable when they get soggy. :-)
I don’t see no stinkin’ pitcher.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mhschmieder wrote:Yep, I only included cross-grades for products I don't already own. Also, I think Notion is part of StudioOne now, if you buy the Professional version, but it's not always easy to tell what someone else's experience and pricing will be when you already have something yourself...
Oh yea, they push Studio One pretty hard—i figured that was why the crossgrade was so cheap. Notion 6 is still available stand-alone.
The only person I know of who uses Sibelius in the classical world is Michael Tilson Thomas. It was what got me to look at that one first, many years ago, along with the admittedly emotional connection to my favourite composer of all time -- though being English, I'm surprised they didn't name it Delius. :-)
When my daughter did her 4th year as a composition major at University College, Dublin, she said it was a bit weird being the only Finale user. Most English and Irish schools are Sibelius shops. I offered to pay for the crossgrade if she wanted but, having tried the demo, she told me to keep my money.

OT: I’m in Austin at the moment where she premiered a new work over the weekend. Pretty nice to see all that work pay off. Now, to convince her to get her publishing together (or let someone else handle it)... A number of choral directors have asked to buy it for their choirs after I posted a sample on Facebook. She has’t quite grasped that there’s life in a composition after the commission is spent. We really gotta fix this!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

As to the pitcher, I can only obtusely answer, "Nevermind". :idea:
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Elektroakoustika

Post by Elektroakoustika »

Sorry for the late update everyone. Don't have time to post as much as I'd like to.

I am now using Dorico Pro 2. Still really liking it. I do find that I spend a little more time inserting music than in Finale, but when I'm getting music ready to print, its 100x faster to get parts ready. And I never have to deal with the ridiculous amount of Finale bugs. This is especially important as I'm oftentimes writing for large ensembles and I used to dread editing parts in Finale.

One feature I really love in Dorico 2 is the ability to easily make divisi lines split into two separate parts. But I'm still waiting for the option to have two parts on one line in the score and then have them divide out in the parts. This is possible in Finale, but ALWAYS has errors that are absolutely obnoxious.

I think Dorico keeps getting better with every update, and I have no reservation paying for the upgrades that are offered (this one was only $100). I consider it an investment to a company that I really believe in and have proven that they are dedicated to updating their program to offer the best features in a true modern day interface. Finale and Sibelius abandoned that ideal years ago.
Mac Pro 12-Core 2.93ghz 64gb ram | macOS 10.12.6 | Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 | DP 9.52 | VE Pro 6 | Dorico 2.2
2016 MacBook Pro 2.6 ghz i7
leigh

Post by leigh »

I'm with you! I just did a set of ensemble parts yesterday and it was so pleasant and easy to get exactly what I want. In a pinch, I would even just use the parts exactly as they are created by Dorico and not be ashamed to give them to the musicians. I used to loathe doing parts in Finale and Sibelius.

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Excellent feedback, and easy splits of divisi matters a lot to me.

I may pick up a copy a bit later this summer -- I had to do my clarinet parts the hard way by analyzing the music theory and practicing things to play from memory vs. depending on being able to get the best parts extraction -- something I still find quite difficult in DP's QuickScribe and in Finale.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

- Note-Entry: While not bad, its more Sibelius-y than Finale-y. I use a MIDI keyboard and use simple entry in Finale but in Dorico I have to select things like dots before I enter a note. Just a bit different. Editing notes after entry, however, it a lot easier in Dorico than Finale.
This hurts me. It's basically the ONE thing I hate about Sibelius and love about Finale (which I kind of hate for other reasons), but for some strange reason, every other notation program seems to follow the Sibelius route. I really hate how in Sibelius, notes are attached to beats and can't be moved or inserted easily. I work with a lot of dynamic, time-changing music, and like to go back in and drop/insert beats while I'm composing, and this is absolute hell with Sibelius. Otherwise, I vastly prefer Sibby's expression and overall engraving options, even if it does get a bit unwieldily.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I agree -- it's the main reason I chose Finale over Sibelius.

Maybe they'll provide alternate note entry approaches later on?

Elektroakoustika

Post by Elektroakoustika »

Prime Mover wrote:
- Note-Entry: While not bad, its more Sibelius-y than Finale-y. I use a MIDI keyboard and use simple entry in Finale but in Dorico I have to select things like dots before I enter a note. Just a bit different. Editing notes after entry, however, it a lot easier in Dorico than Finale.
This hurts me. It's basically the ONE thing I hate about Sibelius and love about Finale (which I kind of hate for other reasons), but for some strange reason, every other notation program seems to follow the Sibelius route. I really hate how in Sibelius, notes are attached to beats and can't be moved or inserted easily. I work with a lot of dynamic, time-changing music, and like to go back in and drop/insert beats while I'm composing, and this is absolute hell with Sibelius. Otherwise, I vastly prefer Sibby's expression and overall engraving options, even if it does get a bit unwieldily.
I'd say Dorico is like "Sibelius on Steroids" when it comes to note entry. I, too, am a former user of Finale for years and years. While note entry in Dorico took awhile to learn, it actually is quite quick. And what you're talking about is actually pretty easy in Dorico. You can move entire lines by copying and pasting, or just moving them left or right my eighth notes by holding down "opt+arrow key." You can even lengthen a note to be longer and short by eighth notes by clicking "opt+shift+arrow key." Wanna add a note to the & of 3 in measure 26? Just click on the measure, arrow the carrat over the & of 3 and entire your note. Dorico even changes the previous and following notes to make your note fit correctly.

Even better, Dorico allows you to remap all of the keyboard shortcuts and add some for additional things. So if you don't like the key Dorico has mapped for you, just remap it in the settings and you're good to go (kind of like the Commands window in DP).
Mac Pro 12-Core 2.93ghz 64gb ram | macOS 10.12.6 | Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 | DP 9.52 | VE Pro 6 | Dorico 2.2
2016 MacBook Pro 2.6 ghz i7
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

That sounds cool. Does it have an "insert" and "delete" functions that slide all of the notes in the measure back and forth? That was the thing I dearly missed from Finale. Sometimes I don't want to just make a rest, I want that beat to disappear completely.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
leigh

Post by leigh »

Prime Mover wrote:That sounds cool. Does it have an "insert" and "delete" functions that slide all of the notes in the measure back and forth? That was the thing I dearly missed from Finale. Sometimes I don't want to just make a rest, I want that beat to disappear completely.
Yes, it has an Insert mode that moves (and possibly rebars) the music on insert or delete.

It's also great for unmetered music.

**Leigh

VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
leigh

Post by leigh »

Here's a link to a review of Dorico 2:
https://www.scoringnotes.com/reviews/do ... -2-review/

**Leigh

artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

Question for Dorico users:

- a feature I like in Sibelius is that (when using a MIDI keyboard and the computer keypad for note entry) I can change the Keypad Input Preferences to be 'like Finale'....where I can play the note first, and then choose the length/values of the note.

(I love this feature, because if you actually try to compose in Sibelius or Finale, you can first noodle away on the keyboard until you find what you like, and then you can start to input when you've made some decisions about what to input.

I don't like having to choose the rhythm's/note values first. I find that if I haven't switched off 'note input' mode, then I can accidentally add multiple measures of experimental noodling around before realizing that I've been in 'note input' mode. Things get real messy real fast and takes away time spent actually creating)

question: how does Dorico handle this? can you choose rythms' first before committing to the note? can you spend time noodling on the keyboard before committing to actual note input? is it easy to get out of 'note input' mode? do you accidentally get stuck in 'note input' mode when you least suspect it?

Thanks...I don't really see any information from Steinberg on this aspect of composing into the software.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
foorere

Post by foorere »

Elektroakoustika wrote:I am now using Dorico Pro 2. Still really liking it. I do find that I spend a little more time inserting music than in Finale, but when I'm getting music ready to print, its 100x faster to get parts ready. And I never have to deal with the ridiculous amount of Finale bugs. This is especially important as I'm oftentimes writing for large ensembles and I used to dread editing parts in Finale.
Is there any reference score/part we can see? Just the most complex you do in Dorico, a page or two.
(I have learned English in 35 days, please have understanding ...)
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

foorere wrote:
Elektroakoustika wrote:I am now using Dorico Pro 2. Still really liking it. I do find that I spend a little more time inserting music than in Finale, but when I'm getting music ready to print, its 100x faster to get parts ready. And I never have to deal with the ridiculous amount of Finale bugs. This is especially important as I'm oftentimes writing for large ensembles and I used to dread editing parts in Finale.
Is there any reference score/part we can see? Just the most complex you do in Dorico, a page or two.
Doritos [SIC] won't be anywhere near as well implemented as Finale. There are probably samples on their website. If F25 still had a movie window I'd use it. I'm on F2014.5 forever or bust. :unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS