Dorico - An Ongoing Journey

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
foorere
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Dorico - An Ongoing Journey

Post by foorere »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
foorere wrote:
Elektroakoustika wrote:I am now using Dorico Pro 2. Still really liking it. I do find that I spend a little more time inserting music than in Finale, but when I'm getting music ready to print, its 100x faster to get parts ready. And I never have to deal with the ridiculous amount of Finale bugs. This is especially important as I'm oftentimes writing for large ensembles and I used to dread editing parts in Finale.
Is there any reference score/part we can see? Just the most complex you do in Dorico, a page or two.
Doritos [SIC] won't be anywhere near as well implemented as Finale. There are probably samples on their website. If F25 still had a movie window I'd use it. I'm on F2014.5 forever or bust. :unicorn:
I was referring to the person who uses it, Elektroakoustika. I see I haven't been so clear in my post.
(I have learned English in 35 days, please have understanding ...)
leigh

Post by leigh »

Dorico 2.2 is out: https://blog.dorico.com/2018/11/dorico- ... much-more/

EDIT: Scoring Notes review: https://www.scoringnotes.com/reviews/dorico-2-2/. This might be better on phones. Thanks, Mark.

**Leigh
Last edited by leigh on Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I came to post about the update to Dorico, but someone beat me to it. Even so, this KVR article might be easier for people to read if they're on a small device, as the one linked above has gigantic images and also requires lots of scrolling to follow. But it's also probably more complete.

https://www.kvraudio.com/news/steinberg ... jazz-43483

I haven't read either link in detail yet, as that will have to wait for the work day to end. I was simply disappointed that Steinberg did not include Dorico in their Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I scanned the link and it would seem that playing via sequencer is the biggest add on. Finale does that as well, so not a deal creator for me just yet. I'm still liming along on F2014.5 and will until the cows come home.

I am encouraged that Steinberg sees a market for a pro level notation app. I only wish MOTU did, but at this point I'd be happy to see Apple2000 get booted permanently. Morons!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

There are rumours that Dorico will go on sale soon, once the 20th anniversary sale on Cubase (including upgrade and crossgrades) ends.

If the price is right, I'm in, even though some of those Tips pages that Mike posted, show that Dorico fonts and symbols are not yet as sharp as Sibelius or Finale.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

mhschmieder wrote:There are rumours that Dorico will go on sale soon, once the 20th anniversary sale on Cubase (including upgrade and crossgrades) ends.

If the price is right, I'm in, even though some of those Tips pages that Mike posted, show that Dorico fonts and symbols are not yet as sharp as Sibelius or Finale.
Wait... we can't load whatever fonts we want? It would seem that would be a very basic thing, especially in a notation program. No?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Oh, I don't know if Dorico supports the loading of fonts. I was just basing my evaluation off of side-by-side comparisons of the three main notation apps at that Tips site you pointed us to (and thanks for that).

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Here's the Dorico forum.
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=246

Lots of threads but they're pretty easy to search. Here's one about symbols and fonts:

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... ts#p841538

Daniel at Steinberg is Daniel Spreadbury, the chief cook and bottlewasher for Dorico. SMuFL is his baby.

There is talk of Dorico 3 coming out soon. No release date has been mentioned, of course. If a sale is announced and doesn't mention 3, I'd be looking to see if a crossgrade includes it when available.

Scoring Notes will probably announce a day or two early with details. If not subscribed (free), I recommend it. Here's a recent article on the look of Dorico vis a vis Finale and Sibelius. Well worth the time, IMO.
https://www.scoringnotes.com/tips/space ... -notation/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yep, that's the article I was referring to, and Sibelius looks the best to me, unfortunately (as I never had much luck with it on macOS).

Interesting discussion at the Dorico forum though on the custom fonts possibilities.

artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

I've been guilty of being a 'fanboy' for Sibelius, then Finale, then Sibelius, then Finale.....ad nauseum, etc. Have used Sibelius since ver. 2, and Finale off and on for various projects of my bands since 2010.

But, I've managed to accomplish my scores and parts, while managing to thoroughly confuse myself along the way by my having to keep track of various scores, parts, renditions, changes, etc. etc.

Well...I crossgraded to Dorico 2 about 2 weeks ago, and I'm sticking with it. I've been able to accomplish what I need to do extremely easily, and I'm barely scratching the surface of everything it can do at this early stage of it's growth.

I've been importing lots of MXL files, while rearranging charts and parts to learn Dorico. Loving it!

If anyone's on the fence about getting Dorico, just dive in. The water's fine!
And getting warmer!

It's nice to pose a support question and get an answer from Daniel Spreadbury himself as well....bonus!

The whole Sibelius licencing/transferring thing is such a time-waster. I've been trying to get Sibelius licensed on my studio computer....just had to say screw it....that helped me move on Dorico right away.

I don't mind having to use a dongle for Steinberg products. At least it works!

Once you wrap your mind around the Dorico keystrokes/commands, things are really fast and consistent. And I'm using Keystroke Maestro without problem for programming my external numeric keypad.

All is well.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

artfarm1 wrote: Well...I crossgraded to Dorico 2 about 2 weeks ago, and I'm sticking with it. I've been able to accomplish what I need to do extremely easily, and I'm barely scratching the surface of everything it can do at this early stage of it's growth.

I've been importing lots of MXL files, while rearranging charts and parts to learn Dorico. Loving it!

If anyone's on the fence about getting Dorico, just dive in. The water's fine!
And getting warmer!
Thank you for this post artfarm. Needed to hear that.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I made the crossgrade awhile back when it was on sale. A few impressions:

I don’t use the dongle and went with the e-licenser which allows only one device. A major PIA involving Tech Support and emailed files but they were quick to respond. Once you get through it, stays in the background and doesn’t give me grief. Transferring it to my new iMac wasn’t painless nor was it intuitive but I figured it without assistance. Daniel says that they’re working on getting away from the e-licenser but that won’t happen by v.3 due in 2019. Minor annoyance for me but there are many threads on the Dorico forum indicating displeasure.

Note entry one-handed is not that quick in most notation apps but certainly doable in Finale, Overture, Encore and Notion. Not so easy in Dorico. At this point, I’m not a fan.

I’m glad to see that someone likes the MusicXML capabilities. This is a sore point among many users. Daniel admits that there’s a lot of work to be done but hasn’t promised that we’ll see it in 3.

I like the overall look and much about Dorico. I don’t have a problem using something else to do most of the heavy lifting in, say Finale and engrave in Dorico. It’s just not ready to meet my needs — yet. 3, perhaps?

Speaking of which, Dorico 3 for the Mac will not work on El Capitán. Sierra or later will be required.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

Importing MXL files is by no means perfect and foolproof. There is still some cleaning up to do once in Dorico. (...but, that goes for any MXL files going to and from any notation program or DAW in either direction, right? It's not a perfect science as far as I can tell.)

But the ease of clean-up and the ease of re-arranging, deleting undesirable MXL 'interpretations' from some imported scores, etc. is helping me learn my way around Dorico.

And then, I have a new and improved score compared to what I previously had accomplished in Sibelius.

Then...understanding how to create a 'clean', new score in Dorico is a breeze after going through the pains of re-working a bunch of old MXL score imports. (...much easier than having initially learned how to use Finale!)

PS...NotePerformer 3 is working fine for me in Dorico in order to check notes and hear rendition of my music. I haven't even delved into all the other 'DAW-like' options of Dorico.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I haven’t really gotten into Note Performer yet but I grabbed it when it was $50 off a few weeks ago.

Normally, I drop an .xml file into Notion 6 ($79 crossgrade from anything) when I want a quick listen—very good for that task. I’m looking to see what Note Performer can do.
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

Something I want to try in Dorico with NotePerformer (even though I'm primarily focused on scores/parts for printout)...

....because you can mix 'stems' of different instrument tracks in the Dorico mixer upon output.

I heard a music file by someone who played back his score with NotePerformer, and then used some extra plugins, EQ, etc. to beef up the various instrumental stems in the mix.

Wow...it was pretty nice indeed. A lot of various instruments are well represented and reproduced in NotePerformer.

(...but trailer-music-epic-sound-library-type composers don't have to lose any sleep....yet!)
DP 11, OS Ventura