Jingles

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
ComposerDan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Jingles

Post by ComposerDan »

Hi: I have been wondering if any of you are into the Jingle writing business? I have been beating my head against the wall for many years trying to get a successful business going but I have struggled with it to know end. I have done a few and luckily it is not my main source of income because my kids would be very hungry right now. I feel I put out a good product but I live in such a small rural area that I know it's hard to make any real money and no one wants to spend anything. Has anyone ever tried to sell their music on ebay or the net? I will be happy to hear of any solutions that you may have.

Thanks

Dan
dabness
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Jingles

Post by dabness »

where in West Virginia?
Mushka

Post by Mushka »

I hate to tell you but most of the jingles business is made on the big cities and consists of mainly networking. I worked on this field and the reason why I don't do it anymore is because I have never been a good salesperson. I usually had a partner who would sell and I would compose. If you want to go into advertising music, definitely you have to really be good at sales and try to move to a big city. The other thing you could do is partner with somebody who would sell your music. Your music could be the best in the world but if you are not at the right time with the right people, it won't happen. The worse part is that in small cities, jingles on the radio are usually bought from libraries which are really inexpensive and it is really hard to compete with them. Unfortunately it sounds really discouraging but it can be done. So keep on trying until you get the first one, after that first jingle, the next ones seem to come easier. ;)
Definition of Insanity: Doing the same thing that you have always done...
...but expecting a different outcome!!

Mac Pro 2010 6-core 3.46 DP 8, 48Gb ram, Track 16, Reason 10, Stylus RMX, Komplete 10, Waves plug-ins and whatever I can't remember...:-|
m2

Post by m2 »

Jingles? - Do you like sitting and getting direction from some ad exec who wouldn't know a bongo from bass trombone. Do you want to spend you creative time listening to someone say "could you turn that up another octave?" It can be nerve racking!

It's does happen in larger markets to be sure and although it sound glamorous you wind up not making the bread you think you will from it. I do some of that as well as alot of long form scoring to picture for TV and Documentary work. As well as indie film and direct to DVD animated features. Mix it up and enjoy yourself!
Dual 2G-G5/2G ram/Digidesign HD2 Accel/Sony DMX R-100/MeyerHD-1&NS-10s - Hafler Ars Nova/DP5.12/PT7.3.1/2.0+TByte/GigaS3