taxi

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
Bowman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Bowman »

About half of what I send to Taxi gets forwarded and I have had three good placements in the past year year alone (television underscore).

It's true that they are looking for a particular kind of music, but that's true of any organisation.

We aren't talking art here. This is strictly commercial. The stuff I really care about doesn't get sent to Taxi.
remmet

Post by remmet »

I was a member of Taxi for 3 years. None of my songs were forwarded (and rightly so!), but almost all of my instrumental pieces were. Out of all the forwards, only two companies (music libraries for specific usages) contacted me. I signed contracts with them, but so far I haven't made a cent.

What the heck; I may rejoin Taxi at some point. So much of this business is based on luck, I figure the odds are still better than playing the lottery.

Richard
aquaman

Post by aquaman »

It seems like everyone is a bit on the fence aobut taxi. what about other services like sonic bids. does anyone know of any other services that they can recommend?
remmet

Post by remmet »

Since my last posting in January, my old Taxi membership finally paid off! One of the companies I'd signed with sold a piece of my music for use in a trailer for the new Cate Blanchett film, "Elizabeth: The Golden Age."

So, to my great amazement, sometimes Taxi actually works. As a result, I've rejoined.

Richard
www.richardemmet.com
soloquest

Post by soloquest »

Check this out. It's for music licensing. It's free to submit a catalog, you retain all rights to your music while possibly making some money on licensing. My catalog did not fit their format, but people can make some money with this.

http://www.pumpaudio.com/
As bad as I am, I'm proud of the fact that I'm worse than I seem
ImageImage
FLOYDWEB.COM
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

The zebra-striped Gold Wing is just too cool! :D However... I'm going to keep an eye on putting graphics in signatures as I'm concerned this could be a practice that could get out of hand and affect page load times.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

m2 wrote:Taxi is a rip! They are a bunch of guys who can't make a career in music so they have preyed on the dreams of others so they can bilk them out of a few bucks. I wouldn't waste your time with TAXI.
Laskow had and has a great career in music. Most of the people who complain about Taxi don't.
People like Bowman recognize Taxi for what it is: A resource for those writing commercial music who are interested in making money.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
hausboy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: taxi

Post by hausboy »

One of you said that music is 24/7 job. To a point that's true BUT some or many of us have day jobs. The balancing act is tricky.