taxi

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
scottchristy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

taxi

Post by scottchristy »

I just joined the Taxi service and Broadjam, and was wondering if anyone here is using it and if they've had any luck selling anything. I've submitted about a dozen things that are all pending. Any thoughts or opinions about taxi would be much appreciated.
DP4.6 MOTU2408mkII, pci 424, MAC DUAL G4 quicksilver 1 GIG, DA7 mixer, neve 1272, masterlink,gibson,fender,rickenbacher,ludwig
www.ballzdeluxe.com
ComposerDan

Re: taxi

Post by ComposerDan »

Scott, I was a member about a year ago and went to the road rally. I really enjoyed it a lot but I never got anything out of the job getting part of it.

Dan
maintiger

Post by maintiger »

I've submitted quite a few things to taxi and never had anything forwarded. It seems as hard to place a thing with taxi as with anyother place. they pride themselves on giving you feedback but really, we don't need feedback, we need placements! if you go to the taxi rally you will find much the same story there- the people forwarded are few and far between. the taxi rally is cool though- worth the price of admission a couple of times- really, the rally was the reason I've renewed my membership two times- this year I went to the rally for the third time and this time I found it redundant. I don't think I'll renew my membership again. (unless I get some action from my submissions between here and june when it expires).

If I have any advice to give on the taxi subject is do attend the rally a couple of times- you will get all there is to get out of taxi that way- but do not expect a breakthrough through taxi- i've talked to a lotta people at the rallies and the story is always the same: little or no forewards and no action on the forwards. sorry, but that has been my experience. Hopefully yours wil be better. :cool:
Xavier Calvera
DP 6 dual G5 2.0- 828mkii-
apogee rosetta - Mach Five, Atmosphere, Stylus, Garritan, Soundtrack,
more soft synths...
check out my latest DP project at www.theorishasarecoming.com more on www.lordtiger.com
scottchristy

Post by scottchristy »

Good feedback, thanks! I just found out today that 2 of my instrumentals were forwarded, so I'm kind of excited to see if they actually call me and buy something. You're right about the feedback though (who needs it), just give me the cash for my idea's and I'm happy!
DP4.6 MOTU2408mkII, pci 424, MAC DUAL G4 quicksilver 1 GIG, DA7 mixer, neve 1272, masterlink,gibson,fender,rickenbacher,ludwig
www.ballzdeluxe.com
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I would look at Taxi as one more avenue to assist you in your career - however, don't look on it as the primary avenue. You need to have as many "irons in the fire" as possible. Sign up for Taxi, send some things in, then once they're sent in, forget about 'em and move on to your other avenues and networking. Nine or ten months later, you may suddenly get a call or a notice from someone who got your submission from Taxi. Or, you might not.

I was in Taxi for a year and I met Michael Laskow and I think he's a good and decent guy. I didn't rejoin because I've had more success with my own efforts. The biggest mistake you can make with your career is to assume that promoting yourself is a part-time endeavor. "I'll get around to it", "later, after work" - those excuses don't cut it. Your career is a 24/7 job that only you can do.

Success formula -
great product + nonstop promotion = success.

Too many people ignore one of the components of the formula.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Mushka

Post by Mushka »

Out of 25 songs I have sent, 5 were forwarded, and so far.... nothing! so I was just wondering if it wouldn't be better to promote my music myself and save the money...
Just a thought! :confused:
Definition of Insanity: Doing the same thing that you have always done...
...but expecting a different outcome!!

Mac Pro 2010 6-core 3.46 DP 8, 48Gb ram, Track 16, Reason 10, Stylus RMX, Komplete 10, Waves plug-ins and whatever I can't remember...:-|
Releaux

Post by Releaux »

Scott,

I was a Taxi member back in late 90s and attended one of the Road Rally events (97? 98?). As others mentioned, the conference is a really fun time and can be quite illuminating, not to mention a great opportunity to find some contacts or collaborative partners. There's also a nice sense of fellowship as you sit with hundreds of other folks who are in the same boat you are.

I did find the feedback from my submissions helpful, but not in the way most people would imagine - what I learned from my submissions was that the reviewers really liked my stuff, but didn't think it was right for the various listings and, frankly, weren't sure where I would fit in the then-current commercial music market. I was "interesting, talented, and cool," but not really marketable compared to the emerging invasion of the Britneys and Justins.

I got some great songwriting tips, and appreciated the feedback as I had been working largely in a vacuum up to that point. I also made one lasting artistic relationship at the road rally that kicked my remixing and production career into a higher gear and helped expand my CD packaging design business as well.

Interestingly, many of the sounds/styles that the reviewers told me weren't working for "current" music ended up in top 40 hits a few years later, particularly the Timbaland style of production and the "early 80s production revival" that took place in rap about two years ago.

Sigh... I was both too retro and ahead of my time all at once. :D

So while Taxi didn't get any of my music placed on Buffy The Vampire Slayer or get me discovered by a giant conglomerate, it helped me figure out other areas where my talents would be better suited and I ended up happier for it.

For what I personally got out of it, I think it was money well-spent. It helped me figure out what I really wanted beyond being a "rock star."

I might consider joining again, primarily for the "last minute" or "fast turnaround" opportunities that didn't really exist when I was there... but I'm not in any hurry to pay up again. As others said, it's not a magic bullet.
--
DP 11.3. |. MOTU 24Ai x2, Behringer ADA8200 x3, MOTU MTP-AV USB x2, MOTU MTP-AV x2.
Too much software, too much hardware, not enough time.
Mac Studio M1 Ultra (20/48 Core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 13.6.4 Ventura)
Mac Pro 5,1 (3.46GHz 12-core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave)
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

We joined for my project band (Retrobeast) two years ago.

No response from musical listings.

So far a bust.

I will not join again.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
maintiger

Post by maintiger »

No, that has been my experience- most people don'r get forwarded. and the ones that get forwarded - and when you do get forwarded it dies there, I've talked to a lot of people at the taxi rallys and the story is the same- also it seems that a lotta people don't rejoin, they drop it after 1 year. I've been signed for 2 and when it expires in june am history-
Xavier Calvera
more soft synths...
check out my latest DP project at www.theorishasarecoming.com more on www.lordtiger.com
m2

Post by m2 »

I've worked with a couple of bands NO ONE EVER got a thing thru Taxi. I'm not saying they're dishonest or anything, just that their business model does not seem to work. The success rate is in the parts of a percent. Which is about the same as hitting the pavment yourself.
Dual 2G-G5/2G ram/Digidesign HD2 Accel/Sony DMX R-100/MeyerHD-1&NS-10s - Hafler Ars Nova/DP5.12/PT7.3.1/2.0+TByte/GigaS3
maintiger

Post by maintiger »

it definitely did not work for me
Xavier Calvera
more soft synths...
dweiss

Post by dweiss »

I think if you're music is anything but right down the mainstream, no matter how great it may be, you won't get forwarded. It seems at least for songs they look for their own formula applied to your music. The perfectly timed intro etc. I find this odd since in film these days you find any and every type of oddball song, but Taxi's not interested in promoting anything off the beaten path.
DP 7.24
Macpro
OS 10.7
ADino

Post by ADino »

I talked to them recently...It IS just 1 more avenue. Wondering, is anyone using Taxi for anything other than selling your hit tunes? Say, Catalog stuff, beds, etc.?
m2

Post by m2 »

Taxi is a rip! They are a bunch of guys who can't make a career in music so they have preyed on the dreams of others so they can bilk them out of a few bucks. I wouldn't waste your time with TAXI.
Dual 2G-G5/2G ram/Digidesign HD2 Accel/Sony DMX R-100/MeyerHD-1&NS-10s - Hafler Ars Nova/DP5.12/PT7.3.1/2.0+TByte/GigaS3
rentadrummer

Post by rentadrummer »

I personally know of one Taxi success story. A keyboard player I work with is now writing music for the Oprah show and his connection came from Taxi. His first song pitch was heard by a company that produces the music for her show and he now has somewhere around 50+ compositions published by Harpo. I don't have any other details that I can offer but just thought it would be nice to hear something positive for a change of pace.
Ron