How does MX4 compare to NI Absynth?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's powerful MX4 software synthesizer.

Moderator: James Steele

jazzbo59
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How does MX4 compare to NI Absynth?

Post by jazzbo59 »

I'm looking for some new soft synths for my DP4 rig. I've been looking at NI Absynth and really like the demos. But since I'm a big fan of MOTU's products, I wanted to consider the MX4 as well.

Has anyone here used both or at least heard both? Would you be willing to share an opinion on how the two synths compare?

Is anyone aware of an article that compares the two?
Mike Klein
Campania Studios
Santa Clara, CA
Akai96

Re: How does MX4 compare to NI Absynth?

Post by Akai96 »

Originally posted by Campania Mike:
I'm looking for some new soft synths for my DP4 rig. I've been looking at NI Absynth and really like the demos. But since I'm a big fan of MOTU's products, I wanted to consider the MX4 as well.

Has anyone here used both or at least heard both? Would you be willing to share an opinion on how the two synths compare?

Is anyone aware of an article that compares the two?
It's a preference issue.
There is a mx4 demo at Motu's website.I like mx4 alot better than absynth.Just my 2 cents :)
Just testing this thing out
thracks

Post by thracks »

Absynth and MX4 are two different beasts. With Absyth you get multi stage envelopes, grain FX, and sample import. There are demos for both programs, you should be able to get a good idea of the differences and what suits your needs.
Steve

2020 Mac Mini | Ventura | 828x |
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Keyboard Mag did a review of MX4 in March. Here is the link: http://www.keyboardmag.com/story.asp?sectioncode=30&storycode=5149
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
DrewNichols

Post by DrewNichols »

I have both. As for choosing one over the other, I would have to say Absynth simply because it's capable of a lot more sonic possibilities. That being said, MX4 certainly is my goto synth when it comes to bass. MX4 has a sharp harsh sound to it which is good for some things, but bad for others. Absynth is more utilitarian because it's capable of harsh and soft sounds.
DrewNichols

Post by DrewNichols »

crap, just noticed you were in Santa Clara. I'm in Palo Alto. If you want to come over and take a listen, PM me.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I recently downloaded and evaluated MX-4, after having earlier evaluated demos for the NI products and the AAS products, along with the Nord Modular G2.

The MX-4 blows them all away in my opinion, as far as general purpose soft synths go (vs. product-specific emulations). Great for pads, time-evolving patches, basses, leads, effects. It has a "character" that I have never found before on a soft synth, fooling me into thinking I'm working with a hardware synth.

Too bad about the iLok. I refuse to buy this product as a result. After an initial contact with MOTU I was heartened to learn that at least I can use the iLok on a home studio workstation Mac and also use it at gigs (if necessary) or on location recording with a laptop Mac.

But then end users started telling me horror stories about how all the new MOTU products must be authorised on each use and not just on initial install, which is an unacceptable restriction.

Most of us are honest, and the moves that industry is taking to stop rare piracy (along with lawsjuits and crazy unjustified patents) are going to kill creativity in the U.S. as they cripple productivity. Already the centre of creativity is moving to Asia anyway.

BTW, I work in the audio/software industries and am extremely anti-piracy. I just think the computer industry got it right in accepting some loss for the sake of not killing productivity.

Anyway, there's another breed coming along that people should consider as well -- though with soft synths, I don't feel any one solution is complete so MX-4 is unique and can contribute to anyone's creativity (even if they have to be on the blasted internet to use it, thus risking their system performance and slowing down their session startup time thus interfering with spontaneity), regardless of other good products to be bought.

Novation's new MIDI controllers are hybrid soft/hard synths, as is the new (not yet available?) Virus TI line. And Yamaha is moving further in this direction (albeit with ROMplers) through the Studio Connections initiative with Steinberg (which they now own).

Sorry for verbosity; I just discovered these forums tonight and am trying to post a few quick questions and comments in each forum before going to bed, and am too tired to be concise.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
TechSupport

Post by TechSupport »

Originally posted by Mark Schmieder:

But then end users started telling me horror stories about how all the new MOTU products must be authorised on each use and not just on initial install, which is an unacceptable restriction.
It is correct that the iLok must be connected to the computer whenever you want to use MX4, as with all iLok-authorized software.
... they have to be on the blasted internet to use it, thus risking their system performance and slowing down their session startup time thus interfering with spontaneity
However, you do not need the internet to use MX4. If you wish to register the product online through our website you certainly can, but you can send in the physical registration card just the same. Although you may want to go online occasionally to check for updates to MX4 or the iLok drivers, at no point does _using_ MX4 require internet access.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks for the info. I have one fewer USB slot than I need to start with, so wasn't too thrilled about the iLok thing. Some vendors are giving an option of an iLok or a challenge/answer. I personally think this is a better approach, but I learned last week that my own company is using an iLok on one of its products so now I guess I'd better shut up :-).

I've evaluated a few other demos in the past week or so since I wrote my angry "iHate iLok" posting, and have yet to hear a soft synth that has such phat filters as the MX-4. But I've got to take care of my notation software and soft sampler needs first. In the meantime I'm telling other people to take a serious look at the MX-4.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
beubbo

Post by beubbo »

Some vendors are giving an option of an iLok or a challenge/answer. I personally think this is a better approach
Hi,

I think that iLok protection system has at least one great advantage over the "challenge/answer" thing :

ilok protected products are much more flexible to deal with when time is to reinstall OS from scratch (clean install), upgrading some computer's components (hard disks, CPU/Mobo...) or moving to another computer (be it one of yours or some friend's/client's one). Just need to bring the iLok key with you & there you go ;)

While challenge/response is a total different story...

At least, I totally agree with you about MX4 : it's a real KILLER one ! (especially v2's new features - Wow !!!)

Just my humble 2 cents
dynamix

Post by dynamix »

Can one own two iLocks? One for laptop, one for Desktop?

Erik
http://www.dvbmusic.com

Dual 2 Ghz G5, MOTU 896, OS 10.3.9, DP 4.6, Mach 5, Kontakt 2.2, MX4, Reason 3.0.5, GPO, Absynth 4.0.2, B4 Organ II 2.0.3,. MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM w/ MOTU Traveler & MOTU Bag w/ OS 10.4.10, DP 5.12
motumacman

Post by motumacman »

not with the same registration on it... you can only have one copy of the license file...
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

OK, kinda old thread, but eh. What's up with PACE anyway?. I have heard alot of stories of nightmare scenarios- maybe in the past?
I did download MX4 demo, and obviously had to install the PACE extension. The reboot( and after repairing permissions) it did seem to reboot at a slower response.
I was one that whined about PACE in an earlier thread. LOL :D

So what is the low down on PACE???? does it really corrupt the OS?

I'm diggin' MX4, but do not want to be screwing up the OS, or is too late?

T
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
Jaysplace101

Post by Jaysplace101 »

I've had absynth 3 for several months now and just got MX4 a couple days ago. I am blown away by this synth. I find it way more usable than absynth. And, the presets it comes with are very usable. Much more so than absynth IMO. I know everyone has their own taste when it comes to anything musical, but I would bet that 9 out of 10 who use both would prefer MX4 over absynth. Unbelievable softsynth.

j
Flare

Post by Flare »

MX4, in a more "pop" music setting (dance/top 40/r&b/hip-hop/nu-metal) is more intuitively ready to provide truly inspiring sound to a piece.

Absynth is more cerebral, imho. Both are truly outstanding for what they do.