DP Pitch Melodyne

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP Pitch Melodyne

Post by waxman »

I use DP pitch. I have the quantize pitch and clear pitch on Batch Command buttons but the same thing can be done with quick key short cuts. Control and option modifiers work flawlessly. Cut, stretch etc. all work better then Melodyne. I have Melodyne used it and know it well. IMO DP Pitch is faster, easier, snappier or whatever... It' just plain better, cuts out multiple steps. Being non destructive it is immediate in to return to original soundbite on the same track.

Unless you need the multipitch why would you use Melodyne instead of DP Pitch
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
mikehalloran

Re: DP Pitch Melodyne

Post by mikehalloran »

waxman wrote:...Cut, stretch etc. all work better then Melodyne. ...

Unless you need the multipitch why would you use Melodyne instead of DP Pitch
First, no disagreement that DP pitch control is very good. But Stretch better in DP than Melodyne Studio? If you prefer it, knock yourself out.

For radical compress/stretch, I don't know anything that beats IRCAM TS — the version in Mach53 is still quite useful, too.

Although DP's basic pitch correction is very good, I find Izotope Nectar or Elements easier and more natural sounding so it's my go-to for a one-button fix. DP for minor tweaking. For heavy lifting, Melodyne is sometimes the only tool for the job—there are things that nothing else can do.

There are times when Autotune is really the right tool for special effects. It's fairly useless in DP (Mac only) but works great in Logic where it can be automated. AT is incompatible with DP Windows. Rather than let someone else get the gig, I maintain AT and Logic Pro. It work$. I never use it as a straight plug, however.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

I agree with you both. DP's current pitch correction is very usable and quick. (Melodyne is still king) However, the current version of the stretch algorithm is limited. Like Mike stated, "I don't know anything that beats IRCAM TS". I believe once DP releases the next update, we'll get an even better pitch algorithm, and a much improved TS algorithm, based on what was seen at NAMM. 8)
Until the what we saw in the NAMM video, I was hoping that MOTU would align with Ceremony much like Presonus did with Studio One 3, and add ARA so that we could have realtime Melodyne pitch correction. The new upcoming pitch correction update in DP might be all that we need.
That, VCA's, and drag and drop plugins would be killer!
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

There are parts that DP doesn't recognize and can't be pitched - at least not here - DP 7.24.
That's why I tried Melodyne ( 1… ) and got it, a short merge with DP and pitch with Melodyne is what I do then…
I'm waiting for he new algo to appear in DP, but it needs to be compatible with 10.6.8
:mrgreen:

Best

Klaus
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Klaus wrote:There are parts that DP doesn't recognize and can't be pitched - at least not here - DP 7.24.
That's why I tried Melodyne ( 1… ) and got it, a short merge with DP and pitch with Melodyne is what I do then…
I'm waiting for he new algo to appear in DP, but it needs to be compatible with 10.6.8
:mrgreen:

Best

Klaus
Although DP 9.13 is optimized for Sierra, it is backwards compatible to OS 10.6.8.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Thanks, I know,
I was talking about a version of DP ( 9.xxx/10.xxx ) that will include the new algo ( pitch / time ) and hope it to be compatible with 10.6.8

Best

Klaus
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

I noticed that D.P.'s Pitch / Stretch algorithms work better on mono signals and less well with stereo files .
I think that has not escaped anyone ! :wink:
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

mikehalloran wrote:
Although DP 9.13 is optimized for Sierra, it is backwards compatible to OS 10.6.8.[/quote]

Mike I must have missed something big! How is DP 9.13 optimized for sierra?

Thanks
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It's in the long thread. DP 9.13 runs lower buffer settings in El Cap and Sierra.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

DP still has no equivalent of Melodyne's copy and paste...in MD, you can copy a blob (note) and paste it anywhere you want, and not only does it paste seamlessly, it also automatically stretches or shrinks to fit the tempo and location of the target note you are replacing. DP has no formant editing like Melodyne's - none. And of course, polyphonic pitch editing - nothing at all like that in DP. I use the polyphonic pitch editing a LOT, mainly to straighten up timing of instrumental parts like pianos and guitars, and also to fix wrong chords or take bass notes out of chords. You can also add or subtract gain to any blob in Melodyne - whereas the equivalent of that is Soundbite Gain in DP and is a separate process from pitch correction. I use Melodyne to easily strip out any noise, breaths, or unwanted artifacts. Super simple.

I could go on, and so I will. Melodyne's graphic editing window is much easier to work with than DP's "Staff" pitch editing window. Application of tools in MD, such as snip, splice, stretch (either beginning, end, or middle of a note), time shift, nudge, are all much easier in MD. Export audio as MIDI much easier.. in fact I still don't remember how to turn audio into MIDI in DP.

Melodyne 4 improved the sound of Melodyne. The trick is just to set pitch correction to around 70%, and correction of pitch drift to around 50%. Or, simply select any single blob that you want to work on without correcting surrounding blobs.

I agree that DP's pitch correction excels in one area - the track's pitch analysis instantly appoears upon recording, and you can edit in real-time, whereas in Melodyne you have to process the audio first and then editing.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
waxman

Post by waxman »

Hahaha Big Wave Dave,

Well that is why you are you... Melodyne polyphonic pitch is unique and the only game in town I am aware of. As far as the tools and cutting and pasting DP Pitch works perfect. I use sound bite volume on the SE track window info. Again it's immediate and works perfect. A advantage to DP Pitch that is without rival is being able to (on the fly) at first play back tune and listen. When you get a good performance but a note or two is out in real time you can select and tune any note and listen to a questionable vocal part and KNOW how the tuning sounds. I prefer DP Pitch blocks when in lane views with the soundbite behind it to Melodyne blobs. I have no problem stretching or shrinking a part in DP Pitch. When doing a comp vocal to be able to listen to a section tuned is just an unfair advantage over Melodyne...

I used Melodyne for years. It's a great POST tool. However I have yet to find a place in my workflow where I miss it. But that is me... hahhaha. The important thing no one has mentioned in this Thread yet is there are a few guys on here who think DP Pitch sounds better. I am one of them...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The important thing no one has mentioned in this Thread yet is there are a few guys on here who think DP Pitch sounds better. I am one of them...
Apples and oranges, IMO. I don't notice that either sounds better — or worse, for that matter.

I never use Melodyne where Nectar or DP will work instead. I prefer Nectar only because it's easier than DP for me but there are times when it can't do what I like and I'll use DP instead.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Having pitched on projects for everyone from Faith to Celine, Ricky to K.C., even “Babs"..... and beyond, I can say that the main reason I use DP’s pitch is convenience and ACCESS. And deep control, down to infinitesimal levels if need be.

There is no other program I have found that allows one to zoom in so deep and control via pitch blocks or just grabbing areas and pulling on them. And all without having to change to stupid tools for “this and that”!

There is no other program I know that can track the individual vibrato pulses of a vocal and allow one to tune individual vibrato pieces.

All other programs I have tried require silly cutting and pasting, and other mechanics to access a note. In DP, you just grab things or, allow it to separate notes for you, while adjusting how detailed it separates. And irregardless of what notes have been separated out or not, you can always just grab things and adjust them.
So the user interface and convenience are with parallel for me.

The way I pitch is very incremental. I pass through a vocal many times, and as each iteration improves, I need to go finer and finer, to adjust smaller and smaller pieces of a vocal. then I can quick erase a pitch adjustment to A-B what is better and check if I am “losing something”.

That said, the quality of DP’s algorithms can be a bit “iffy” if EXPOSED, and I usually use pitch for full tracks , where slight sonic artifacts on larger maneuvers are hidden by the track.
For critical, EXPOSED, large maneuvers, I will indeed go to melodyne or even antares.

Thus, I look forward to the next DP update, to see if MOTU has finally come to modern times with it;s pitch stretch and tuning algorithms.

If they improve things enough, I will never have to look at another program again. I also hope that make the time stretch and beat recognition as user friendly and high in quality as pro tools. I recall a major orchestrators parts I worked on, all needing to be simultaneously adjusted. Famous orchestrators may be “famous”, but their damn orchestras can be terribly behind the beat in a punchy, commercial piece..yikes! I had no choice but to go to Pro Tools for that. DP would have been utterly impossible.

I really look forward to MOTU “bringing it” when it comes to the new time stretch and pitch engine.
Higer quality, combined with the ease of access and depth of access, will be hard to beat.
And like I always say..IF you make your pitch better MOTU?....ADVERTISE IT.....
(I am sick of DP not being higher in DAW rankings and being filled with hidden magic no one advertises properly).
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

toodamnhip wrote: For critical, EXPOSED, large maneuvers, I will indeed go to melodyne or even antares.
What do you host Antares in, ProTools, DP or? Not having PT, I use Logic for this (and very little else).
toodamnhip wrote:Thus, I look forward to the next DP update, to see if MOTU has finally come to modern times with it;s pitch stretch and tuning algorithms.
I believe we're all in that same boat.

IRCAM is great but making it work with DP is more convoluted than I like.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

mikehalloran wrote:
toodamnhip wrote: For critical, EXPOSED, large maneuvers, I will indeed go to melodyne or even antares.
What do you host Antares in, ProTools, DP or? Not having PT, I use Logic for this (and very little else).
toodamnhip wrote:Thus, I look forward to the next DP update, to see if MOTU has finally come to modern times with it;s pitch stretch and tuning algorithms.
I believe we're all in that same boat.

IRCAM is great but making it work with DP is more convoluted than I like.
For me, the best time stretch and pitch is found in isotope RX, it is called "Radius”.
I tested it against everything, and there is a website that has some of this too. Check this out: http://en.audiofanzine.com/pitch-shifte ... art-i.html

I was very impressed with the Star Wars demo of MOTU’s Mach 5, and thought it would solve my issues with its IRCAM based algorithms. Further testing shows Radius way better for pure pitch and time stretch work. Mach 5 has some proprietary, key based tricks that make it cool of course, but for standard pitch and time work, I like Radius.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc