How do I get the MX4 v.2 demo to work?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's powerful MX4 software synthesizer.

Moderator: James Steele

ajsonego
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How do I get the MX4 v.2 demo to work?

Post by ajsonego »

Hi all,

I have never used MX4 before and with the free demo available I thought I'd give it a try.

Only thing is, I install it and then it installs some interlock thing as well.

However, when I look in my newly created ~/Applications/MOTU MX4 folder I cannot find the actual application. There are plenty of patches to click on but when I do they do not know which application to launch. :confused:

I am sure that I clicked on the download demo button - in fact I went back to the MOTU site and did it again just to be sure.

Can somebody please help me out so I can try this synth. TIA

btw - TiPB550 OS X 10.3.9 (I hope that MX4 is not Tiger exclusive)
ElektrikZen
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: How do I get the MX4 v.2 demo to work?

Post by ElektrikZen »

got to the project in dp and add an instrument track - mx should be there - it loads within dp....it is in the dp folder somewhere - do not remember off hand ---- but you cannot just open it in stand alone mode like reason or absynth or reaktor----has to work from within DP --- a drag - because I like to work on patches just with the said app--but that is the way it goes. hope this helps -
ajsonego

Post by ajsonego »

Ah - thanks for this info ... I actually thought it would work as a stand-alone app. :(

Unfortunately I do not own dp (yet).

However, I can see it (MX4) in a Live track - but when I click on it to launch, it says: "This version of MX4 requires authorisation to run, but no iLok can be found. Please install the iLok for this software."

What is my next step now?
ElektrikZen
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by ElektrikZen »

sorry mate - you got me there - you should be able to run it within another app instead of DP - but re: the lock - contact motu - sorry
stretta

Post by stretta »

MX4 is not an application, it is a plug in that can be run in a MAS, RTAS and AU host.

Both the release version and the demo version of MX4 require the pace extensions. If you have not installed the latest version that comes with the installer, it will not run.

The demo version will not run on a machine that previously installed MX4 with an iLok. Under those circumstances, it will look for the iLok, as if the demo version has expired.
ajsonego

Post by ajsonego »

Thanks for the replies.

I chose the uninstall option when I ran the iLok installer and then reinstalled it. This seems to have cleared everything up! :) Maybe I had an old iLok on my system ... I certainly don't recall having ever had one though. Weird.

Anyway, all is good now - except for the fact that my TiPB550MHz is not really up to the task.

[off topic] Do you think the recently released rev B iMac (2GHz G5 - 20" screen) would be adequate for running Live (or dp) with Arturia Minimoog and Motu MX4?
JamesBondz

Post by JamesBondz »

Yeah, you are right man! :(
God bless America!