training video questions

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
Soundgoo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

training video questions

Post by Soundgoo »

Hello all, I have been using DP for quite some time, but only for audio and MIDI, nothing to do with picture. A regular client has done some percusion instruction videos and has been unhappy with the audio the video company comes up with. I want to stay with what I am good at and not try to learn to edit video. Any suggestions as to how to work with a video company? They want to use two cameras and I want to multitrack audio and mix to there picture. How do we go about this kind of setup? Sorry if this is a big question, I am only exploring ways to better serve my client. Thanks for your help.
Peace,
Soundgoo
lightningad

Re: training video questions

Post by lightningad »

You cannot edit video in DP, and if you have not edited video before then don't start to learn with a client!!

One possible approach would be for you to find a way to record the filming sessions onto whatever format suits you...whether its a stereo dat or you take a decent interface and record direct into DP with multiple mics...the choice is yours. As long as you record the audio with timecode that links to the video.

then when the picture and guide soundtrack has been cut, get a copy of the EDL (edit decision list) from the editor and a quicktime movie of the show, open the movie in DP and using the edl start to place the relevant audio clips into place on the timeline refering to the timecodes provided in the edl.

For me, a better way would be to actually mix the sessions live during the recording, using a mixing desk and multiple mics, feeding an 8 track recorder such as DA88 (for safety) with split tracks and a master stereo mix which you record to dat whilst also sending that mix to the camera.

This will give the video editor a much better sound to work with, and any work you need to do later on can be more easily matched up, and should you need to remix a bit, then you should have your DA88 to make things a tad more flexible.

Even if you don't own this kit, work the cost of hire into your project costs. And have fun...use your imagination...just don't forget - the more complicated you make it, the more complicated it will be to do/change/correct, and more higher the chances something could go wrong.
"silly keeps you sane"
lightningad

Post by lightningad »

after reading your post again, i realise your predicament.

I would suggest you contact the video company and ask to spend a few hours with them. Get them to tell you how they intend to shoot, let them show you how they intend to edit the show and don't be afraid to tell them you have not worked with video before. There's nothing worse than working with someone who pretends to know the business but who hasn't a clue!

Once you see how they intend working, you will be better able to understand the workflow and how best to fit into that flow. For example, they may want to shoot "as live"..ie. in as few takes as possible, without stopping and doing the picture cuts live, or they may want to take the more common route of shooting lots of small set-ups and editing it all later into a coherent flow.

Either way will inform you of the best way to approach the sound. You should try and be present during the shoot as you want to know exactly what you will have to work with, and you may be doing the sound recording anyway.

When you have a better unbderstanding of the requirements, re-post on here and we'll be able to offer more appropriate advice. Sounds like you have a fun job on the cards - enjoy it!!
"silly keeps you sane"
Soundgoo

Post by Soundgoo »

Thanks lightningad, I will start looking into what the vedio company wants to do and how they have done it before. I will repost here when I know more.
Peace,
Soundgoo