DV Specs for Scoring

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
westla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DV Specs for Scoring

Post by westla »

I'm finally moving to firewire video (Canopus) for scoring films. My old PCI card died a few months ago, and I have a new film coming in the door this week.

My question to other film/tv composers who are using the Canopus ADVC 100/110 for their video is:

What do you ask for in terms of specs from the editor.

Previously I asked for QT files broken into reels. But the Canopus doesen't output QT movies.

So do you ask for .dv files? (is there a certain spec you ask for)

Or, do you just get QT movies and convert them into .dv yourself using QT Pro, or some other program.

Thanks
m2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DV Specs for Scoring

Post by m2 »

I have them generate a QT. Usually any flavor of '.mov' will do. Then, Using QuickTime Pro [29.92 from Apple] and I convert the movie file to a .dv stream. The .dv file works great with the ADV 100 box. You could have the editor generate the .dv files as well but I have had some mixed results with that in the past.

Note that the .dv has a tendancy to be a frame or 2 behind on play back trough FW. You can compare your sync by switching the playback off of FW to see the JPEG on the Mac screen to check for offset,

QuickTIme Pro can be downloaded from Apple in about 15 mins - what with all the stuff they ask you to fill out. The download is really just a key I believe to the software that is already present with OSX versions of QT.

Good luck with your film!
Dual 2G-G5/2G ram/Digidesign HD2 Accel/Sony DMX R-100/MeyerHD-1&NS-10s - Hafler Ars Nova/DP5.12/PT7.3.1/2.0+TByte/GigaS3
westla

Post by westla »

Now here's a dumb question (maybe):

Does it matter how they compress the QT movie. If I'm going to convert it to a .dv movie will it be the same size?

ie. if movie A is a 1gb QT movie

and movie B they compress more and is a 500mb QT movie

when I convert them to .dv will there be any size difference?
dix

Post by dix »

.dv files are just over 200mb a minute, w/o sound, regardless of what the original file's size was.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
westla

Post by westla »

thought so .. thanks
westla

Post by westla »

Now when you say "without sound" ... how do you use this for scoring to picture? Where do you get the dialogue and foly sound from?
m2

Post by m2 »

You would get your dialog from the editor as well as either an OMF or a comped track that is mono or stereo. You I/P that track to your DP session and sync it with TC spotting and/or head and tail pops.
Dual 2G-G5/2G ram/Digidesign HD2 Accel/Sony DMX R-100/MeyerHD-1&NS-10s - Hafler Ars Nova/DP5.12/PT7.3.1/2.0+TByte/GigaS3
westla

Post by westla »

thanks m2 ....

man I miss my DC30+ already. It was great when the card could handle the audio and the video.
m2

Post by m2 »

Yeah I know. I feel the same way about the Fuse cardS I have laying in the closet. . .
mr miyagi

Post by mr miyagi »

I do the same thing - I usually get a Quicktime movie (making sure they specificy that it's 29.97 drop or non-drop), and a separate OMF file. I convert the Quicktime to the .dv format in Quicktime Pro, and I have an ADVC100 box as a firewire to analog video interface to my regular TV monitor. My video sync adjustment is pretty large, 5 frames. But everything has been working great up to this point. I upgraded last night to 4.6 so we'll see what happens now!
2.5Ghz G5, DP 4.61, OSX 10.4.5, 2408MK3/PCI-424, MTP/AV, UAD-1, Spectrasonics, Mach5, GPO, Albino, Panasonic DA7
scoremusic

Quicktime

Post by scoremusic »

If one of you asks for a QT File: do you ask for a special resolution or file size?

Tom
westla

Re: Quicktime

Post by westla »

scoremusic wrote:If one of you asks for a QT File: do you ask for a special resolution or file size?

Tom
It dosen't really matter, because when it gets converted into a .dv movie, it ends up the same size.