scoring markers and tempo set

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
twistedtom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

scoring markers and tempo set

Post by twistedtom »

I am just looking into working with this feature in DP and have to say I am a bit dumb on the subject. How has any one been using this?
Tell me more, tell me more/
Just saw grease.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
m2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: scoring markers and tempo set

Post by m2 »

Scoring markers - the Markers window in DP I assume you are talking about are used to mark time code locations in the picture, as well as sections of a piece of music regardless of a fixed time position.
For picture scoring it usually works like this: You see an event happen in the picture like the start of a scene or a door slam, whatever. And you spot that exact frame location and log it into the markers page. Make sure the marker is LOCKED, which means it won't move from this time code location as you change tempos/meters. ie marker 2 is always at 01:04:22:16. Then you can try out different tempos against the picture like click calculations to find a tempo that works for the scene and helps you line up beats to specific events you want ot hit.
If the markers are unlocked they are generally used to mark a point in a song such as 'Verse 2', 'Guitar Solo' etc. they stay synced to the measure and beat location even if you are changing tempos and such. ie marker 2 is always the downbeat of measure 16.
Good luck, happy writing!
Dual 2G-G5/2G ram/Digidesign HD2 Accel/Sony DMX R-100/MeyerHD-1&NS-10s - Hafler Ars Nova/DP5.12/PT7.3.1/2.0+TByte/GigaS3