Movie thru firwire

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
dubbeljee
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Movie thru firwire

Post by dubbeljee »

I'm doing sounds for an animation movie. I would like to play the movie back thru a sony firewire camera but DP (4.52) doesn't
I Have converted the movie to a DV stream (48Khz 16bit PAL) with Final cut but still Dp doesn't. (The movie does playback thru the camera in FC) Ive also tried to export the movie to tape and captured it again with no result.

My set up : PB G4 1Ghz 1G ram motu 828mk2 and Lacie D2 HD
The lacie is connected to my PB by FW 800 & the motu to FW 400 port from te Lacie the camera is connected directly to the FW 400 port of my PB

Is it something with the connection or something else?

sorry for my bad english

JJ
mhayesmusic

Re: Movie thru firwire

Post by mhayesmusic »

Hey Dubbeljee.... Have you tried to export the movie as another format than DV stream. Trying making a copy as a QuickTime Movie. I have not tried the DV Stream so I dont know but, I have done what you're trying to do using Quicktime. I have exported from final cut pro myself as a quicktime and it has worked and clients have given me quicktimes and it has worked no problem as well.
DP 4,G4 DP 1.25 ghz, 1 gig ram,2408 mkI, MTP AV, Reason, Mach Five, iDrum, SoundSoap, Garritan Personal Orchestra,Ptools LE Mbox, Korg Triton, Oxygen 8, M-Audio Pro88 Controller, S4 Plus, FCP,DVD SP and many other goodies with pretty lights
dubbeljee

Post by dubbeljee »

I've tryed that no succes anyway

I can only playback movies on the desktop

JJ
lightningad

Post by lightningad »

do you want to play the movie back thru the camera whilst spotting the fx, or afterwards when you have finished?

I only ask because i do animation fx tracks for a living, and i never use anything but quicktimes on the desktop. Its frame accurate, and with two monitors Its really easy. Once you start using firewire outputs you run into problems with delays which will cause you sync worries!

I seem to remember that in the movie window menu, there is an option to choose the output and via firewire is one of those options.
"silly keeps you sane"
mhayesmusic

Post by mhayesmusic »

Hey lightning.. thats exactly where I was going with this... I do the same and do things the same way.. I don't know why doublejee can't get this to work. I've done it both the desktop way and through a cam to a TV.......and no probs ????
DP 4,G4 DP 1.25 ghz, 1 gig ram,2408 mkI, MTP AV, Reason, Mach Five, iDrum, SoundSoap, Garritan Personal Orchestra,Ptools LE Mbox, Korg Triton, Oxygen 8, M-Audio Pro88 Controller, S4 Plus, FCP,DVD SP and many other goodies with pretty lights
dubbeljee

Post by dubbeljee »

Is it because all is connected to the same FW Bus?
mhayesmusic

Post by mhayesmusic »

Oh that could definatley be the problem...... If you can try and put the cam on another FW bus..... if you have an extra bus.. try it and keep us informed
lightningad

Post by lightningad »

Perhaps you need to have the audio and video on separate drives, and separate firewire busses.

I would be tempted to load your movie onto the laptops harddrive, and all the audio on the Lacie. Connect the Lacie and Motu unit on one bus, and have the camera on the other bus.

This way you will be keeping all audio and all video separate from each other.

When i work on my laptop, I have the audio on my external lacie, and the video comes off the internal hdd, and it has never had any problems. Although as i mentioned, i don't work thru a camera either.

You probably already know this, but don't try running DP whilst FCP is running. It sometimes happens that one programme will claim quicktime for itself, and prevents other applications using it.

And it might be worth trying a new project with everything disconnected from the FW except the camera. Use built-in audio and load the movie - see if you can get it to play thru the FW with nothing else connected.
"silly keeps you sane"
dubbeljee

Post by dubbeljee »

I found out the leds of my 828 were making circular paterns when trying it the last time. but noting wrong with the sound.
and the finder behave's strange (spinning pizza)when I was browsing the lacie until I unplugged the camera. Then it just works fine again. DP not open.

I gonna do some testing this weekend, hope things gonna work.

JJ

<small>[ March 18, 2005, 05:57 AM: Message edited by: dubbeljee ]</small>
mhayesmusic

Post by mhayesmusic »

Lightningad is %100 correct....you MUST keep your video files on a seperate drive than the session you are using it with. This applies to just about every app out there (ptools,log,DP) I too keep my video files on my internal(I created a seperate folder on there that holds every QT and video file I've worked on) its only playback so the internal drive is fast enough and you wont bog it down. Are there any other things besides the cam , 828, and HD in this chain? Another possibility....

-You could try a external firewire hub. They do sell 4 port firewire hubs that work very well. At my day gig (unfortunately on Pro Tools) the digi002r is connected to one mac FW port and a hub is connected to the other. The hub has my FW drives (sometimes 3 at a time) and a canopus box wich sends my video files out to a TV just like you are attemtping with your cam.

This works seamlessly. No beach balls (or spinning pizzas ;) )
The FW hubs are under $100 US (for the belkin I think)

Keep us informed GG
Jim

Post by Jim »

Don't use DV Stream. That's the wrong codec. Use DV NTSC or DV PAL if you're in PAL-land.

recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
dubbeljee

Post by dubbeljee »

It works only when I dont use the 828 but the built in does not play back 48 KHZ
however de sound on the movie in 48khz plays ???
lightningad

Post by lightningad »

thats because FCP does on-the-fly sample rate conversions. So you will be listening to 48khz audio played back at 44.1khz.

I am still unsure how you have connected everything - describe your connections, and be accurate - lack of punctuation makes it difficult to understand what's connected where....

You certainly have all the right ingredients for the set-up to work. I think they just need sorting out.
"silly keeps you sane"
lightningad

Post by lightningad »

Originally posted by Jim:
Don't use DV Stream. That's the wrong codec. Use DV NTSC or DV PAL if you're in PAL-land.

well i often export movies from Avid Media Composer using the DVStream option, and they all work perfectly in DP. So i doubt thats the problem in this case.
"silly keeps you sane"
dubbeljee

Post by dubbeljee »

there is just a conflict between de 828mk2 and the camera
the solution is to buy a pmcia firewire card for my PB
so I gonna watch some more time to my desktop.
Would it be the same if I used something like a canopus?

JJ