Workflow scoring vs effects..

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
fuzzyl0g1c
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Workflow scoring vs effects..

Post by fuzzyl0g1c »

I'm taking a class in sound for film and video. The computers at the University have Vegas and Avid but I'm doing most of the work at home using DP 4.

I'm curious if most people on this forum are mainly doing scoring with DP or if some are doing effects and ADR with it. Is the work flow different? I'm not a musician and am more into learning the mixing and effects aspects.

We were given an edit of an adaption of Poe's Tell Tail Heart. This was shot and edited in other classes. We are to mix the sound including scoring.
Helen

Re: Workflow scoring vs effects..

Post by Helen »

Well, I think most folks here are doing what I'm doing, and scoring for film.

While I believe that DP would work well as a platform to do all sorts of post-production sound, I think most of the people and facilities that do post sound are already set up in ProTools. I doubt they've found a reason to switch, since ProTools is very good for audio editing, and is considered the professional standard.
Mac Pro Rack 7,1 3.2 Ghz 16-core, OS 11.6.1, 192GB ram
MOTU 828es, DP 11.02, Altiverb, Kontakt 6, VEPro
This job is fun, this job is fun....
Helen

Post by Helen »

Oh, I just remembered: I think there are folks out there who use DP to both score and do sound for video games. Often the companies will hire one person for both jobs, so a composer will end up using the tools they already have.

If I were gonna score and do sound, DP would be my platform of choice. If I were only gonna do sound, I'd probably have to go with ProTools, since without PT you won't get taken seriously in many cases. (Regardless of reality)
Mac Pro Rack 7,1 3.2 Ghz 16-core, OS 11.6.1, 192GB ram
MOTU 828es, DP 11.02, Altiverb, Kontakt 6, VEPro
This job is fun, this job is fun....
alphajerk

Post by alphajerk »

Originally posted by Helen:
If I were only gonna do sound, I'd probably have to go with ProTools, since without PT you won't get taken seriously in many cases. (Regardless of reality)
kinda sucks when an idiot owns PT and someone of talent owns DP... kinda makes your reality fuct.

<small>[ December 29, 2004, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: alphajerk ]</small>
dual gHz, OSX 10.3.9, DP 4.6, PSP plugs [then a load of nice hardware]