Mac OS Sierra Who's Brave?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mac OS Sierra Who's Brave?

Post by mikehalloran »

I loaded Sierra on my external SSD. I've only a few minutes before going to a rehearsal but, so far, Office 2008 is fast again like it was in Mavericks. I like that. More later.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

If you really want to install Sierra on an old Mac Pro, hunt around MacRumors in the Mac Pro Forum and you will find your answers. EDIT: OK, I couldn't resist...

1,1 and 2,1 here: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/200 ... a.1977271/

Here's for a 3,1: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac ... a.1978005/

James, the 4,1>5,1 hack has been reported as allowing installation of Sierra without issue.

As I understand it, if handled properly, ANY Mac Pro can run under Sierra. As Mike suggested, absent certain updated components, notably WiFi and Bluetooth, you may not have access to all of the new features.

PS: Sorry for the false alarm Waxie. I just read what NI released, and the absence of any mention of software had me concerned...
crescentoon55
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by crescentoon55 »

Installed it on an extra disk.... now the disk won't boot..... a real mess....
waxman

Post by waxman »

HCMarkus wrote:
PS: Sorry for the false alarm Waxie. I just read what NI released, and the absence of any mention of software had me concerned...
I was just having fun... no worries...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Saintmatthew

Post by Saintmatthew »

I'm still on Mavericks.
MacPro 12core 64GB Ram 4 1TB SSDs motu 828mk3 DP 10.11
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Saintmatthew wrote:I'm still on Mavericks.
I'm still on Mountain Lion! (at least for the studio Mac).

Interestingly, despite the fact Apple warned iCloud drive would no longer be accessible under ML after I upgraded my phones and laptop, Calendar and Contacts info still move seamlessly to and from the studio Mac Pro, easing any compunction I might otherwise feel to update the Mac Pro OS.

Call me old-fashioned, but my MP runs DP so nicely I don't foresee a studio OS update anytime soon.

Good luck to you who live on the bleeding edge! I (and other selfish alarmists :lol: ) thank you for your time and efforts, and hope you find nothing but joy in Sierra. Someday, we may follow the mountain trail you cleared.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

So far so good with DP on Sierra.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

daniel.sneed wrote:So far so good with DP on Sierra.
Same.

Still need to test all of my plugins though.
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

I upgraded earlier today on my 5,1 Mac Pro. So far so good. Nothing really impressive in Sierra, I don't care about Siri or the other stuff specific to this version. In fact I upgraded because it was supposed to be a huge improvement for Pro Tools, according to the DUC guys. Well, PT performance was already very good for me in 10.11.6 and it's the exact same in Sierra, sometimes I wonder what these guys are thinking over there, too much whining maybe. Anyway, as for DP, no difference either. All my plugins are working. Not a single issue to report (yet). :)
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
waxman

Post by waxman »

awesome... I'm jumping soon as UAD works...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Can anyone tell me if Messages and AirDrop are broken for devices that don't support Bluetooth LE?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Robert Randolph

Welp. I'm back to El cap.

None of my Karabiner mappings work, nor does the side buttons on my mouse. I thought this would be fixable, but nope.

Also, to anyone out there using any 'gaming' style mouse or keyboard products: stay away from Sierra. A lot of them are broken. Razer, Steelseries, Filco, Ducky all confirmed not working correctly.

However, before I gave up I was able to confirm DP working fine for the most part (I didn't test everything that I'd want to). Fabfilter, Waves, Sknote, Eventide, U-He, Valhalla, Voxengo, Eareckon, Air, Liquidsonics and Glitch 2 all appear to work ok.
crescentoon55
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by crescentoon55 »

I ended up erasing my updated disk and did a clean install of Sierra only to find that it was not recognized as bootable!! Hopefully the next update will improve the situation. Personally I don't need all the iOS bells and whistles offered so I will stay with Mavericks as long as possible.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Robert Randolph wrote:... to anyone out there using any 'gaming' style mouse or keyboard products: stay away from Sierra. A lot of them are broken. Razer, Steelseries, Filco, Ducky all confirmed not working correctly.
That's not good, though I'm sure they'll work it out in time, but until then... I guess it's El Capitan.

I'm wondering if that extends over to JiTouch, the app for the Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse. Has anyone tried that yet? Is it working?

Also, I'm always concerned to find out if Wallander Instruments is working in any new OS, in this case, Sierra. That would be a deal breaker for me.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Robert Randolph

Shooshie wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:... to anyone out there using any 'gaming' style mouse or keyboard products: stay away from Sierra. A lot of them are broken. Razer, Steelseries, Filco, Ducky all confirmed not working correctly.
That's not good, though I'm sure they'll work it out in time, but until then... I guess it's El Capitan.

I'm wondering if that extends over to JiTouch, the app for the Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse. Has anyone tried that yet? Is it working?

Also, I'm always concerned to find out if Wallander Instruments is working in any new OS, in this case, Sierra. That would be a deal breaker for me.

Shoosh
I saw a couple folks saying JiTouch wasn't working on IRC.

I do know that BTT and Karabiner are not working though (similar types of 'modify your input device' apps).