Mac OS Sierra Who's Brave?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mac OS Sierra Who's Brave?

Post by bayswater »

After a couple of weeks, I'm finding a few minor annoying things about Sierra. Maybe these will be fixed in updates. One is the computer is not that good at keeping track of where the mouse pointer is. Clicking where it appears sometimes results in an unexpected action, as if the click had occurred somewhere else. And some aspects of networking are wonky. I use screen sharing a lot, and it doesn't work that well. Sierra never seems to remember what it needs to know to return to previous setups and connections without some prompting. But screen sharing is something that worked OK in 10.6 and has become less reliable with each update. Maybe Apple is not paying much attention to it any more.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:I see Trim is not enabled by default with Sierra. I'm hoping the command "sudo trimforce enable" is still working.
It is.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
waxman

Post by waxman »

bayswater wrote:I see Trim is not enabled by default with Sierra. I'm hoping the command "sudo trimforce enable" is still working.
what trim?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

waxman wrote:
what trim?
IF you're not cracking a joke here Waxman, you only need be concerned if you are running SSDs other than original equipment Apple. Your Mac Pro has a built-in PCIe SSD for which Trim is enabled by default.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

IK released an update to the Miroslav 2 sound libraries a couple of weeks ago. Neither the updaters nor the new library installers are working in Sierra.

One of the problems is that they aren't signed but disabling Gatekeeper gets around that. Really—unsigned Mac installers in the last 4 years?

The big issue is that the installer can't find the content sitting in the same folder.

IK is treating this as something I've done wrong but there's not much to expanding a zip file and running the Mac installer inside. I am convinced that they screwed up and the installer isn't working in 10.12. A few other installers don't work in Sierra but they are for old applications, not something released two weeks ago.

The older installers worked fine two months ago when I updated to Miroslav 2.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
waxman

Post by waxman »

HCMarkus wrote:
waxman wrote:
what trim?
IF you're not cracking a joke here Waxman, you only need be concerned if you are running SSDs other than original equipment Apple. Your Mac Pro has a built-in PCIe SSD for which Trim is enabled by default.
I like to joke but not this time... I have an internal SSD drive for the system and 7200 spinners. Will that have an effect when I install Sierra?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Have a look at this:

http://lifehacker.com/enable-trim-for-t ... 1714978260

Trim is a background utility that runs on Apple computers with Apple installed SSDs, but it does not run by default on SSDs we install ourselves. The command used to turn Trim on results in a screen full of dire warning, and as the article indicates there are, or at least were, some SSDs that won't like it. But for most, it's a routine thing. In theory it will extend the life of the SSD, but some say even without it, it will last long enough to become obsolete.

You can find out if Trim is enabled using the "about this Mac" info, going into the "system report".
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
leigh

Post by leigh »

I just updated my iMac to Sierra. DP 9.12 seems normal except for one thing: in the consolidated window if I grab the central divider and drag to resize the two central windows, it takes at least 1 second for the divider to move at all. On my MacBook Air running DP 9.12 under 10.11.6, the divider responds in about 1/10th of a second. Any idea why it's slow under Sierra?

Second, after the Sierra update, do I need to re-run trimforce enable because of the EVO 850 I put into the iMac? If I run trimforce enable multiple times, can that damage anything?

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
waxman

Post by waxman »

UAD will be ready by November of 2016 So it could be another 45 days...

FROM UAD...

As you may know, on September 20th, 2016, Apple released macOS 10.12 Sierra.

It’s important to note that UAD/Apollo software is not compatible with macOS Sierra. Therefore, we recommend that you do not install this OS update.

In November 2016, we will have a UAD software update that allows UAD-2 and Apollo hardware to operate under macOS Sierra.* However, full testing and qualification will not come until early 2017.

Please note that the current version of UAD software, UAD v8.7, is tested and compatible with other versions of Mac OS X, including 10.9 Mavericks, 10.10 Yosemite, and 10.11 El Capitan.

For more information, please read the article posted in our Knowledge Base:

macOS 10.12 Sierra Compatibility Info

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

The UA Support Team
waxman
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

leigh wrote:IAfter the Sierra update, do I need to re-run trimforce enable because of the EVO 850 I put into the iMac? If I run trimforce enable multiple times, can that damage anything?

**Leigh
Check "About This Mac" under Apple Menu > System Report > SATA

Here's what my MacBook reveals:

Intel 6 Series Chipset:

Vendor: Intel
Product: 6 Series Chipset
Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
Physical Interconnect: SATA
Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

INTEL SSD:

Capacity: 120.03 GB (120,034,123,776 bytes)
Model: INTEL SSD
Revision: 300i
Serial Number:
Native Command Queuing: Yes
Queue Depth: 32
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Medium Type: Solid State
TRIM Support: Yes
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

If "Trim Support" says "Yes" you are good to go. If it says "No" then you need to re-enable Trim. Doing so will not harm your computer, as it is a simple toggle, ON or OFF.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Telling the OS, "Allow TRIM to run", "Allow TRIM to run", "Allow TRIM to run", "Allow TRIM to run", "Allow TRIM to run" etc. has no adverse effect on anything.

OTOH, with some OS builds, the command needs to be run again. Look at HCMarkus's post. If you see that, TRIM is enabled.

It has no effect on mechanical hard drives.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

waxman wrote:FROM UAD...

In November 2016, we will have a UAD software update that allows UAD-2 and Apollo hardware to operate under macOS Sierra.* However, full testing and qualification will not come until early 2017
Wow, looks like Sierra broke our UAD pretty hard. I can't function without reliable UAD, so I guess it's El Cap for the rest of Autumn for me!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
waxman

Post by waxman »

At worst case UAD should be working in 45 days... fingers crossed. Until then I am hanging on Yosemite... Hopefully by then Apple will have released an update to Sierra. It seems to me Sierra OS is a fix and upgrade of El Capitan. I have no complaints with Yosemite but I am thinking Sierra will be a great operating system. Looking forward to getting it going.
waxman
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Perhaps someone can help here as Apple geniuses can't - I upgraded to Sierra but while it has a few niggles, Apple tell me I can't go back to El Capitan unless I take my 27" iMac on the train to an Apple store. So stuck - I took a backup on Time Machine just before updating but Apple tell me this is not an OS backup.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Guitar Gaz wrote:Perhaps someone can help here as Apple geniuses can't - I upgraded to Sierra but while it has a few niggles, Apple tell me I can't go back to El Capitan unless I take my 27" iMac on the train to an Apple store. So stuck - I took a backup on Time Machine just before updating but Apple tell me this is not an OS backup.
Nah.., You need to do do an Option-Boot and do a complete Time Machine restore making sure it's from a backup that precedes the upgrade. It will seem to take forever to select the right backup but it's in there.

When I update my OS, I always turn TM off beforehand so that it's easier to restore if need be but it's possible in any case.

There's a way to create a USB boot drive in Terminal for any version of OS X. You would boot into it, use Disk Utility to format your boot disk for the OS you want, install the OS then use Migration Assistant to bring in your settings, files and applications. Again, use a backup that predates your Sierra update. I don't have it on my iPad but can post instructions if you need.