machfive polyphony estimate

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

yealf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

machfive polyphony estimate

Post by yealf »

can anyone help me estimate what sort of polyphony I should be able to get from machfive and DP4.52 running G5 dual 1.8gig 2.5gigsRam? I am having rotton problems, can't get it to play a five voice 1/4 note chord at 70bpm without processor overload with no plugins running. any info or help greatly appreciated. I've been using performer for 15 years. I've never had more problems.
G5 Dual 2gig 3gRam >DP 4.52/Mach51.2/Komplete2/ G5 Dual 1.8gig 2gRam>PToolsHD 6.7/canopus
doodles

Re: machfive polyphony estimate

Post by doodles »

a hell of a lot more than that.

have you trashed mach 5 and reinstalled? and done verified permissions?
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
yealf

Post by yealf »

Originally posted by doodles:

G5 Dual 2gig 3gRam >DP 4.52/Mach51.2/Komplete2/ G5 Dual 1.8gig 2gRam>PToolsHD 6.7/canopus
yealf

Post by yealf »

Originally posted by yealf:
Originally posted by doodles:

I had version 1.0 and then installed 1.2. figuring that would be equivelent to reinstalling. The problem persisted. I will try your advice, many thanks
Flare

Post by Flare »

I'd reccommend DP 4.50 with M5 1.2.

I know DP 4.51 was an atrocity on several levels (hello, do beta testers actually have any spectrasonics plugs??!). I wouldn't trust 4.52 at this point, but everyone needs to do what's best for them.

I'm running what I stated above, with a Sh*•• load of VI's, plugs, and such. DP is actually running pretty well at this point.

The processor overlodes aren't unheard of on a number of levels, but on a dual 1.8, you should be getting some horsepower. I'd recommend running your samples off of an external drive, non-streaming if you can afford the RAM. Streaming with M5 on the G5's isn't what it's cracked up to be, particularly if you're doing alot of tweaking.

Good luck.

P.S. My rig is a Dual 2.5 G5 with 3.5G... It takes ALOT to drive it into the ground, with respect to M5.
doodles

Post by doodles »

flare

dp 4.0 and mach 1.2 is what i'm running. with loads of spectrasonics stuff - not jumping up to 4.52 yet, as this is pretty stable.
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam