DP OS error disk is full (-34)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
soloact
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP OS error disk is full (-34)

Post by soloact »

I just took these steps as well:
- Used QuickTime to duplicate the file and did a save-as as a .wav file: same (-34) error.
- Used https://www.zynaptiq.com/myriad/ to covert from .wav to .wav: same error
- Used QuickTime to trim the file down from 4.16 gig to the following:
3.57gig -- same error
2.96gig -- same error
2.23gig -- same error
1.46gig -- the audio imported without any issues

This would seem to indicate corrupt audio headers are not the issue. If headers were the issue, reducing the size of the file would continue to throw the same error, but it does not. Once the file is below 2gig, the error goes away.

I'll try another attempt at the solution mentioned earlier in this thread and report back.
Any other ideas or solutions welcome.
Last edited by soloact on Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
soloact

Post by soloact »

LUG wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:02 pm In the meantime, I've gone back and forth with MOTU and so far, I think this is a legit bug.
In the meantime, I was given this workaround and maybe it'll help others.

- Close the project
- Put the file in the Audio Files folder of the project (drag and drop)
- Open the project
- Go to Project menu > Content Browser
- On the left side, go to Audio Files
- Drag it into the project

I'd be curious if anyone else can reproduce this.

Record some large files (over 2.3GB) at 48kHz.
Create a new project.
Choose 48k as your sample rate.
Open the soundbites window.
Rt. click, choose 'import audio'.

Boom. Bob's your uncle/'disk is full'.
I can confirm I've reproduced the "OS error disk is full (-34)" problem
And I can confirm the workaround steps work great (after a user error on my first attempt)
- Any 24/48k WAV file over 2.2gb throws the "disk is full" error
- Any 24/48k, WAV file under 2.2gb imports and plays back without issue
- Using audio converters to "fix" a potential "corrupt audio header" results in the same error
- Converting the 24/48k WAV file to something else does not throw the error

Mike's troubleshooting on drives and related infrastructure and the thoughts on possible corrupt audio header are all very good points, but in my case and for the user above, the workaround above has solved the issue.
soloact

Post by soloact »

I can also confirm the "OS error: Disk is full (-34)" problem still exists in Digital Performer 11.22
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

There was a similar thread a year or two back that came to the same conclusion — somewhere about 2.2G is a DP limit for some operations.

But not all operations. I was able to record 24 hour soundscapes with three mics, resulting in three audio files of about 7G each. That project behaved normally. While the files it created could be imported into Logic from the Audio Files folder, they could not be imported into a new DP project. I was able to slice the soundbites up and export them from the DP project in smaller files (<2.2G) and import those into DP.

So it really doesn’t sound like a file header issue. The fact that it shows as an OS error suggests DP is sending incorrect info to the OS. At least a couple of members reported this to MOTU — maybe someone remembers the reply. IIRC, someone reported the exact file size where the failure kicks in.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
LUG

Post by LUG »

While searching for yet another DP oddity, I saw there were some responses to this thread that I missed.

Figured I'd mention the advice I got from MIO. Because I didn't ask if I could quote him directly, I'll refrain from a direct quote but he mentioned this regarding the 'disk is full' issue:
My guess is that the problem is that the file is long enough that the DATA chunk in the Wav file is long enough (2924488704 bytes) that if DP is not careful and treats the 32-bit length field as signed, then it is getting a negative length for the file, and probably incorrectly then turning it into a 64 bit number and then treating it as unsigned, and then it thinks the file file is truly humongous, and then decides that working with it would lead to the disk being full.

If you convert the file to CAF, DP will load it. Open terminal, then make sure you are in the directory that has the '01-Main.wav’ file in it. Then you can run this command:

afconvert -f 'caff' -d LEI24 01-Main.wav 01-Main.caf
This is a noted bug in both DP10 and 11. I've sent this to Motu but I'm not holding my breath.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

- Converting the 24/48k WAV file to something else does not throw the error
Wondering if this and Error -43 are related.

viewtopic.php?p=609852#p609852

I recently saw -43 for the first time since moving to my Mac Studio last October. Though I normally work 48k/32 bit float internally, this was on an old project that was still 48k/24 when I checked this morning. Converting all the soundbites takes just a few seconds so I did that before closing.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro