Spectrasonics Keyscape Announced

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Spectrasonics Keyscape Announced

Post by David Polich »

For the record, folks over at Gearslutz are already bashing it. But then, Gearslutz people have to bash everything..
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I'm not gonna bash any Spectrsonics product and love Stylus and Omnisphere. For me, I just don't think I want to spend the cash on Keyscape at this time.

Back when smooth jazz was all the rage, I might have felt differently. 8)

Waxman, I won't have to kill; don't worry. I (generally) abhor violence. And I'm not trying to hide secrets. I am, however, a big fan of a meat and potatoes Ac Piano, Wurli and Rhodes and, as noted in my last post, start from there. I'll have to look at what I do next time I get a break, but for now, simply saying I fit the sound to the need at hand at the moment will have to do. :D
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

waxman wrote:In the early 80s I used to do sessions in a little studio in Costa Mesa called Front Page. Eric Persing did sessions there as a sound designer. He was doing insane things with stacking sounds, D-50s, samplers, Yamaha TG stuff and classic analog synths. He would have these patches in his Roland Sampler. It was the infancy of Atmosphere and Omnisphere. He would have the stacks all on a card and take the card and proprietary cables with him when he went to lunch. The guy was seriously ahead of his time. Now he will sell the secrets for $399. I think I'll pay for it...
Thanks for posting that story, very cool! I've always had tremendous respect for Eric's work.

I remember when Omnisphere was released, I wanted it but kept thinking 5 bills was a lot of $$ for a software synth.. still, it contained the Symphony of Voices sounds I used every day on my Roland and Akai samplers, so convenience won. Ended up being one of the best purchases I ever made, of course. I have a feeling if I were to demo these Keyscape pianos, I'd spend the $399 whether I had the budget or not. :wink:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
waxman

Post by waxman »

HCMarkus wrote:
Waxman, I won't have to kill; don't worry. I (generally) abhor violence. And I'm not trying to hide secrets. I am, however, a big fan of a meat and potatoes Ac Piano, Wurli and Rhodes and, as noted in my last post, start from there. I'll have to look at what I do next time I get a break, but for now, simply saying I fit the sound to the need at hand at the moment will have to do. :D
hahaha Thanks Marcus. I just wondered if you had found some NI Ultimate 10 secrets. I like Ultimate Pianos, and FM 8 has cool Rhodes. I also have the Arturia IV collection which is sounding great to me. But the Keyscape sounded that step up on the demos. I use NI a lot but I did not see anything I wanted in Ultimate 11. So instead of updating Ultimate 10 to 11 I'm thinking Keyscape for me.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
waxman

Post by waxman »

David Polich wrote:For the record, folks over at Gearslutz are already bashing it. But then, Gearslutz people have to bash everything..
There is a dude over there that thinks we have a secret insider MOTU Cabal... James is the evil sith lord and I'm the ring leader. I find it entertaining. Wait until they find out Monkey Man is the real MK Ultra Mind Control guy.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Gearslutz? Nobody goes there anymore, too crowded.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Killahurts wrote:Gearslutz? Nobody goes there anymore, too crowded.
Just some wing nut slamming on Mnation. Don't they have a life?
waxman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

What is this "life" you speak of?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
waxman

Post by waxman »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:What is this "life" you speak of?
A Job
waxman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

:rofl:

Been a long time since I held a "job" job.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Have a job. When I finish it, I get a new job.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Killahurts wrote:Have a job. When I finish it, I get a new job.
Gosh, that sounds like work! :smash:
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I may have to reconsider this product, after Dave's comments and a review by an Impact Soundworks developer at vi-control.net who said today that these are the best e-pianos on offer and that the Yamaha C7 that competes with his own peal Piano product isn't exactly bad either as long as one mic is enough.

What the other reviewer says is that the limitations of Kontakt for effects (a reason given by Gospel Musicians for why they switched to UVI from Kontakt), are crippling when it comes to e-pianos. You can use plug-in VST's/AU's later on, but to be frank, the only one worth considering is the Overloud effects suite that used to be part of Scarbee's range, and even that one isn't as good as the "real deal" in hardware.

So, apparently, between highly accurate and realistic phasing and chorusing for the Rhodes and Clav and great wah-effects for the Clav, those two are tops right now. And I believe both that reviewer and Dave Polich own or have experience with close to 100% of what is available and therefore have a complete perspective on this (often, people will say "best ever" and not realize they haven't tried three others that are as good or even better).

I have a fair amount of Rhodes on my current Jazz album so may have to consider this new Spectrasonics product before my final mixes are frozen.

For a few years, Gospel Musicians was my top Rhodes choice, then recently I switched to UVI's Tines collection (which might be a revised version of MOTU's Electric Keys?) and now much prefer it -- especially due to it covering every Rhodes model ever released.

If only this product were cheaper... my living expenses doubled recently and I have to be super-careful about my budget as now I'm back to where I was three years ago regarding semi-disposable income geared towards my barely-lucrative "side business" in music. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

mhschmieder wrote: I have a fair amount of Rhodes on my current Jazz album so may have to consider this new Spectrasonics product before my final mixes are frozen.
print it with the Rhodes you wrote it with MH.

Then write more. Like Doritos. :woohoo:
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Nope, I don't work that way. The Rhodes I wrote it with was an ancient Yamaha MOTIF, as that was the first part from the original version, before it became a real song or two. I have seriously improved the arrangements in that time, as well as the performances, through editing and re-playing.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH