Metering Recommendations?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Metering Recommendations?

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Looked again this week. Lots of meters out there, both free and paid, but they are either old-style VU or they have like 90 features I don't want like "inter-interpolated-phase-coherence-spectral-anaylsis" or whatever.

Why can't someone make a dirt-simple vertical bar-graph peak-meter plugin like the one in MOTU's meter-bridge window? Green until it peaks red, and resizable?

Actually, MOTU, why don't you add one! It would be nice to have a meter plugin-in for uses other than the entire meter-bridge window. I can think of allot of reasons for one.

I was at a video edit this AM and saw the one in Adobe Premiere and was super-jealous;

https://helpx.adobe.com/tr/premiere-pro ... mixer.html
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

Pop out the meter bridge, have it show only the channel you want and there you have it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

bayswater wrote:Pop out the meter bridge, have it show only the channel you want and there you have it.
I like having one stereo meter at the bottom of my left screen to just keep track of overs.

The DP meter-bridge I use in large-form for inputs and outputs when I'm tracking.

I don't want to keep moving it and also resetting it and re-sizing it and also choosing which tracks I want to see.

I'd also like to keep track of a few busses with their own meters for gain-staging.

Having a very simple meter plugin would be perfect, but having a meter plugin that shows like ten-times the amount of info I want or need is not helpful. It unintentionally pulls your eyes away from work, when all you really need to know is if something is peaking or not by a red-peak-over that catches your eye.

The DP meter-bridge meters are actually totally perfect for me, completely what I want, I just wish MOTU would offer it as a plug-in too.
Last edited by JSmith1234567 on Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

Maybe sonalskis freeg is still available.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

bayswater wrote:Maybe sonalskis freeg is still available.
Hey thanks man!

I tried so many! That was a really totally good one you mentioned!!!

One of my favorites was actually the Zuther K-Meter.

PSP and Waves make old-style VU meters too, but I like seeing the vertical graph, like the one you recommended.

The problems with all of the free and paid ones were;

Not being able to re-size them small enough.

and them using up too much CPU. I actually tried one (I don't remember which) that was using more CPU than Omnisphere, which is a total VI-hog! Sorry Eric! It's actually worth it though! Great VI!