DP 9.1 is here

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.1 is here

Post by Shooshie »

Robert Randolph wrote:You can use quicktime that already comes with your Mac for screen/mic capture. Just open it and select file->new screen recording.

FWIW, I use http://www.telestream.net/screenflow/ for videos and http://licecap.en.softonic.com/ for making gifs.
The latest version of Screenflow will now make animated GIFs. I haven't bought it yet, but I will.

Meanwhile, you guys have patience with me; I'm too busy to test everything I need to test, much less make a movie right now.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
danatkorg
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by danatkorg »

Babz wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
I've confirmed this with 9.1 now, using a selection of plug-ins (Waves, Sound Toys, Fab Filter, Cytomic). So, it's still there, and it's not just a Waves issue. Since automation starts to work again after touching the plug-in's on-screen UI, it seems like a different facet of the same bug being discussed by others.
It is still unclear to me exactly what the bug is you guys are experiencing, other than it involves some sort of automation.

<snip>

In a few sentences, could you please describe exactly what the issue is and what steps are involved to reproduce it? Then I can see if I can reproduce it. If I can, I will see if I can get MOTU to confirm and reproduce it.

Best,
Babz
Here's my original post:
danatkorg wrote:I filed a technote about automation in October 2015. Initially I was concerned about behavior from a control surface (Mackie MCU Pro), but as I looked into it more it appeared to be something more generalized. MOTU responded that they were indeed able to reproduce the problem. I have not yet attempted to duplicate the problem with 9.1, but it sounds quite similar to what's being described in this thread. Here's an excerpt:

Try this:
* instantiate a Waves CLA-2A, and set up your windows so that you can see automation values for its track
* enable automation recording and playback, latch mode (the default)
* press Play, and using the on-screen UI, record movements of the knobs into the track
* observe that the movements play back properly
* on the Mackie MCU Pro, select the track with the CLA-2A, and go into effects editing mode for the slot containing the CLA-2A
* locate the transport to a point after the already-recorded automation
* press Play, and using the MCU Pro's V-Pots, record automation into the track
* note that the on-screen UI responds to the movements, but that the MCU Pro's displays do not update to show the correct values
* note also that the automation appears to be recorded properly
* locate the transport to the beginning, and press Play
==> Note that the plug-in no longer responds to the automation - any of it, including the automation recorded from the on-screen UI.
* press Stop and then Play, and record a little more automation using the on-screen UI
* press Stop, locate the transport to the beginning, and press Play
* This time, all of the automation plays correctly
Babz

Post by Babz »

danatkorg wrote:
Babz wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
I've confirmed this with 9.1 now, using a selection of plug-ins (Waves, Sound Toys, Fab Filter, Cytomic). So, it's still there, and it's not just a Waves issue. Since automation starts to work again after touching the plug-in's on-screen UI, it seems like a different facet of the same bug being discussed by others.
It is still unclear to me exactly what the bug is you guys are experiencing, other than it involves some sort of automation.

<snip>

In a few sentences, could you please describe exactly what the issue is and what steps are involved to reproduce it? Then I can see if I can reproduce it. If I can, I will see if I can get MOTU to confirm and reproduce it.

Best,
Babz
Here's my original post:
danatkorg wrote:I filed a technote about automation in October 2015. Initially I was concerned about behavior from a control surface (Mackie MCU Pro), but as I looked into it more it appeared to be something more generalized. MOTU responded that they were indeed able to reproduce the problem. I have not yet attempted to duplicate the problem with 9.1, but it sounds quite similar to what's being described in this thread. Here's an excerpt:

Try this:
* instantiate a Waves CLA-2A, and set up your windows so that you can see automation values for its track
* enable automation recording and playback, latch mode (the default)
* press Play, and using the on-screen UI, record movements of the knobs into the track
* observe that the movements play back properly
* on the Mackie MCU Pro, select the track with the CLA-2A, and go into effects editing mode for the slot containing the CLA-2A
* locate the transport to a point after the already-recorded automation
* press Play, and using the MCU Pro's V-Pots, record automation into the track
* note that the on-screen UI responds to the movements, but that the MCU Pro's displays do not update to show the correct values
* note also that the automation appears to be recorded properly
* locate the transport to the beginning, and press Play
==> Note that the plug-in no longer responds to the automation - any of it, including the automation recorded from the on-screen UI.
* press Stop and then Play, and record a little more automation using the on-screen UI
* press Stop, locate the transport to the beginning, and press Play
* This time, all of the automation plays correctly
I don't have CLA-2A (or the Mackie MCU Pro) so I can't test this. If you can come up with an example using Trueverb, I can try to reproduce it.

Sorry, I don't own many Waves plugins, so I only have a few to test with. I *did* try to duplicate Robert's preset-snapshot issue with both Trueverb and Real ADT (and was unable to).

I'm not saying any of this to cast doubt on anyone's issue. I have no doubt that they are happening. But sometimes it takes certain conditions and being able to duplicate the same results on multiple systems helps pinpoint the key factors.

(BTW, I currently have an issue of my own that I can reproduce regularly, and I was able to get Robert to reproduce after some effort and sending him one of my project files, but I can't get MOTU to reproduce it! ...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62128

To me it just underscores how difficult these things can be to pin down. )

Best,
Babz
slybass3000

Post by slybass3000 »

I had an issue with the Waves CLA FX this week. Couldn't record even the "bypass" on-off. I was pissed. Tried for an hour without success. I did remove the plug and reload and it worked !!!

I still don't understand why it happened but it can be fixed.
iMac 27" i7 4.0, 3Te.32 G of Ram, Apollo Silver with TB expansion (coming up).
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Well, I feel your pain, Toodamnhip.
Call me too cautious if you want, but except DP stock plugs I never tried copy-paste between third party plugin windows.

I'm not confident enough, for too many features may be involved, and some may vary greatly over time with new release.

BTW, copy-paste does behave perfectly with DP stock plugs.
Which happen to be my main plugs ...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
danatkorg

Post by danatkorg »

Babz wrote: I don't have CLA-2A (or the Mackie MCU Pro) so I can't test this. If you can come up with an example using Trueverb, I can try to reproduce it.
MOTU already says that they have reproduced this with the MCU, so probably further verification isn't necessary.

At the time, I asked if they saw this with Euphonix/Avid control surfaces as well, and the reply was that these weren't working well in general (another argument for the good ol' MCU). Recent MOTU release notes indicate that Euphonix/Avid control surfaces should be working again - I wonder if anyone on this thread could do the test with them, as described in my last post, using any third-party plug-in. That would be another good data point. My guess is that this is a facet of the broader automation issues being discussed in this thread, and not specific to the MCU.

(In my experience, the problem seems to happen with all third-party plug-ins - not just Waves. MOTU plug-ins appear to work correctly.)

Best,

Dan
toodamnhip

DP mute automation bug

Post by toodamnhip »

In all the talk of the snap shot bug, I did indeed forget to post the mute automation bug. The bug is somewhat inconsistent, hit and miss, I think I have only tested it on waves and I haven;t tested a lot of other plugs with this issue. So maybe it’s only on waves.
One session, the mute automation may work, re-open, and it doesn’t. re start again and it is back working. The way you can tell is look in the DP pull down list of automation and look to see if you see “mute” in the list. If the last parameter shows blank, like a space where something should be there but isn’t, then it will not work. If you see “mute", it will work. However, there are some waves plugs it never works on. So IF IF IF it works with a plug in, you can tell it will work by seeing it in the plug in drop down list. Crazy eh?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

By the way... one of the touted DP 9.1 features was faster load times for chunks with large numbers of tracks, etc. Has anybody noticed faster load times for smaller/average sized chunks like pop songs, etc? I'm using 9.02 for a backing tracks setup and wondering if I might want to give 9.1 a shot and see if changing chunks speeds up at all?

(I suppose I can just rename "Digital Performer" to "Digital Performer 9.02" and the run the 9.1 installer and find out.)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

James Steele wrote:By the way... one of the touted DP 9.1 features was faster load times for chunks with large numbers of tracks, etc. Has anybody noticed faster load times for smaller/average sized chunks like pop songs, etc? I'm using 9.02 for a backing tracks setup and wondering if I might want to give 9.1 a shot and see if changing chunks speeds up at all?

(I suppose I can just rename "Digital Performer" to "Digital Performer 9.02" and the run the 9.1 installer and find out.)
Yeah, I wish I had done it that way. I had to rename 9.1 and reinstall 9.02 because I didn't. Now 9.02 is the default, and I had wanted it the other way around.

I have noticed a faster load between chunks, but only with an audio only project. I haven't tried it with VIs and MIDI yet.. but for lots of tracks with plugins, etc., yes I do think it's faster.

Really, everything in 9.1 seems faster to me, except the save times.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

James Steele wrote:By the way... one of the touted DP 9.1 features was faster load times for chunks with large numbers of tracks, etc. Has anybody noticed faster load times for smaller/average sized chunks like pop songs, etc? I'm using 9.02 for a backing tracks setup and wondering if I might want to give 9.1 a shot and see if changing chunks speeds up at all?
That is one of the performance improvements that I am seeing, however it's not that big.

Perhaps it increases with larger chunks than I am using.
James Steele wrote: (I suppose I can just rename "Digital Performer" to "Digital Performer 9.02" and the run the 9.1 installer and find out.)
That's what I've done, works great.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt, right? (Famous last words!) I already have 9.1 on my main studio machine.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

If you don’t rename the 9.02 file, it will get erased on 9.1 install
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

toodamnhip wrote:

That's what I did. Worked fine.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

toodamnhip wrote:

I know. I think that's what I said. At least I meant that I know I had to do that since 9.1 will install and overwrite any file called "Digital Performer". Add "9.02" to it and you're fine.

toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Funny how there are some dumb things we all learn, or at least I learn, late in the game. I never knew I could rename a APP file before this recent 9.1 install. I had always assumed “changing the name” would make the APP malfunction. Seems so silly now, Wonder if I can name the APP amythimg I like, such as: “toodamnhip”? Might work? How about naming one version-“works good”, and the new version “______________”?
(Here’s where members may enter in their own name for the newest version of DP.
Hmm...let’s see-
Top Ten list?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13