Alternatives to DSP Quattro

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Alternatives to DSP Quattro

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote: Mike, I never entered any user ID or password. I did try what I thought might be valid info, the defaults I usually use, because I have no record of ever having registered with this payment processor. So I just went back to the site, clicked on the proceed to order link without entering any credentials, and it worked. I have it installed.
Well, I went on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride while waiting for my wife who is now two hours late but I did get it done.

As I mentioned, I had ordered through that site before, July 2016 in fact. It was insisting on correct user and passwords. What it did every time was change my user name by adding a number every time I made the request to reset my password. 7 requests, 7 changes to the user name but, while the original name was in blue, the changes were in black and separated. But after I figured out to add -7 to my User Name, I could continue. The fun, however, was just beginning.

It still didn't behave in Chrome but I was able to use FireFox with much screen refreshing and monitoring of my PayPal account to make sure I didn't pay twice. That took 45 minutes but I completed the purchase.

I then got my activation code and logged into my account but I couldn't download. ??? Although I was in my User Area, downloads are restricted to Registered Users only. What the...? OK, back to Chrome and, after logging in again, I was able to download my upgrade.

The email does not give correct license activation instructions as promised but I knew that already. Fortunately, I had read about creating a new project to find my PIN to generate the license file here (thanks!) and I know where to put text based license files—a new user won't. Both of those info items really need to be in the emailed instructions and not in the .pdf files that have yet to finish downloading (I assume that's in one of them, right?).

I'm good at instructions. I help others with them and often write them for customers and colleagues. I can stiill point to an FAQ that I wrote 15 years ago while working a support desk (for a Windows app, no less). The problems I had were not caused by my failure to read and follow. Perhaps if I had not bought The Cello from that site 2 years ago, the buying process would have been as smooth for me as it was for you.

Anyway, I'm good now. The lack of batch conversion in this first version doesn't affect me as I have DSP-Q 4.4 (which still works and is good) and TwistedWave (which is faster). I have a Red Book mastering project to complete by Monday so the timing is perfect and, if there's a problem, I still have 4.4. The plugins it does or doesn't yet support are not an issue since I am cleaning up everything in RX6 Advanced first. I'm looking forward to this.

:woohoo:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote: I'm good at instructions. I help others with them and often write them for customers and colleagues. I can stiill point to an FAQ that I wrote 15 years ago while working a support desk (for a Windows app, no less). The problems I had were not caused by my failure to read and follow. Perhaps if I had not bought The Cello from that site 2 years ago, the buying process would have been as smooth for me as it was for you.
Same here. I spent a very long time at a large corp making up instructions as the companies dumbed down everything. But these were not particularly clear to start. Things get hazy between the payment system and the authorization. The code you get from the payment processor doesn't seem to have a purpose. I have bought stuff via DR before, but never with an ID and PW. Clearly something is not right with the communication between browser and web page.
mikehalloran wrote:Anyway, I'm good now. The lack of batch conversion in this first version doesn't affect me as I have DSP-Q 4.4 (which still works and is good) and TwistedWave (which is faster). I have a Red Book mastering project to complete by Monday so the timing is perfect and, if there's a problem, I still have 4.4. The plugins it does or doesn't yet support are not an issue since I am cleaning up everything in RX6 Advanced first. I'm looking forward to this.

:woohoo:
Yes, simple batch conversion is available from quite a few apps now, but the more detailed stuff I'll still want to use DSP-Q. I've probably used DSP consistently for longer than anything else, and whenever something is mixed I open the 2 track in it and have a look and listen. Somehow I always find stuff I didn't notice in DP or Logic.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I just had a nice email exchange with Stefano Diano (developer), he gave a few more details about the batch editor (and how it will work faster in the new version). He also gave me some hopeful indications about a feature I've been requesting for a while.

It's great that he came on here to give some details and some reassurances, as well.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Well, thanks for the tips. I was able to make the purchase, but when I enter the User Area with my PIN, I never get a license file. I'm sure Stefano will make this good very quickly.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

cuttime wrote:Well, thanks for the tips. I was able to make the purchase, but when I enter the User Area with my PIN, I never get a license file. I'm sure Stefano will make this good very quickly.
You have two PINs. The first lets tells Stefano's site that you've purchased and makes the real copy (not the demo) of v.5 available in Your licenses. Download it.

Once dowloaded, open and drag to your Applications folder—if your previous copy is DSP-Quattro X, it won't overwrite but if named DSP-Quattro.app, change the name on the old version.

Double-click to open. Now, under File, create a New Project (Command n). A splash screen should now display with the second PIN you need to create your License File—click on Copy. Finish creating the file by pasting in the right box. This will now be emailed as a .txt file attachment. Drag that .txt to wherever you want. Navigate to that location from the App and when found, you're good to go.

An installer would create a folder called DSP-Quattro inside Library/Application Support to contain the License File and create the path to it. Nothing stops you doing that manually. If on a shared computer, you would place it un Users/_ /Library/Application Support instead. Of course, you can just put it into your Documents folder where you might accidentally clean it out someday. BTW, DSP-Q only reads the file the first time so, even if you were to Trash it, the app still opens. I like to know where things are in case.

Hmmmm... I normally charge decent money to write something like this.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Sun May 27, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

mikehalloran wrote:Finish creating the file by pasting in the right box. This will now be emailed as a .txt file attachment.
Again, thanks for the tips, but I never get this email, even though the site says it has been sent.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

cuttime wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Finish creating the file by pasting in the right box. This will now be emailed as a .txt file attachment.
Again, thanks for the tips, but I never get this email, even though the site says it has been sent.
Stefano just notified me that my domain rejected his email. His personal email sent me the file, all is well.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cuttime wrote:
I didn't get the PIN or the authorization file via email. The PIN came was in the receipt from the payment processor.

After downloading and installing DSP-5 from the User Area of the DSP site, I started up DSP, clicked on New Project, copied the PIN, and followed the leads back to the DSP site. The text file you need to authorize then downloads immediately. No email of anything other than a copy of the receipts which you have anyway on the web page after you pay for it.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Dang
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:After downloading and installing DSP-5 from the User Area of the DSP site, I started up DSP, clicked on New Project, copied the PIN, and followed the leads back to the DSP site. The text file you need to authorize then downloads immediately. No email of anything other than a copy of the receipts which you have anyway on the web page after you pay for it.
Not in my world. Glad it did so for you. What was the name of the file?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:What was the name of the file?
MYDSPQID_PIN#PT1-PIN#Pt2.txt, derived from the user ID I use on the DSP site, and the PIN generated by the application when I first used it.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Nothing like that for me. Only the email attachment that begins with my name plus the backups where I installed them.

Weird..
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:Nothing like that for me. Only the email attachment that begins with my name plus the backups where I installed them.

Weird..
I've had that problem in the past, I think with V3 where nothing worked, and I had to get an email directly from Stefano. But this time, once I worked out the purpose of the variety of IDs, PWs, PINS, etc., it worked. I suspect his system deters piracy better than some.

Anyway, maybe a new thread on observations of DSP 5 in use is in order.
dix

Post by dix »

sdaino wrote:...About purchasing DSP-Quattro v5 when you purchase a license of v5 on our Store web page, you will be redirected to ShareIt/MyCommerce secure web page. It is normal. They take care of the payment on their certified secure web site. ShareIt is part of Digital River, one of the biggest Companies which offer secure money transactions all over the world....
Any plans to streamline the purchasing procedure? I'm interested in the upgrade, but I'm not in a hurry. Should I wait until the problems with check out are fixed?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

Know what you mean DIX, I had the redirect and it just didn't load. Went back to the store and finally got through, but in stage 2 when entering CC info etc, it hung :shock: nothing happened ....

In a panic I closed out that page and started over. Phew.. all is good.

I could'nt even log in to DSPq's site on the store initially, then had to change my password w/ shirt (digital river) etc.. not fun.

Then the registration process is even more fun :shake:

I wonder if there is a way to change the user name that I received many years ago, that Stefano's system pushes out .
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES