Comments on DP 9.02

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Comments on DP 9.02

Post by Shooshie »

Regarding the buffer menu in the Control Panel (as opposed to the Hardware Setup Dialog), where choosing a number will actually select the next higher buffer, I wonder if you all are actually selecting a few buffers when looking at it? Have you tried selecting, say, 64, then 1024, then maybe a few others? Have you tried selecting a buffer in the menu, then changing it with the Hardware Setup dialog, then doing it again in the menu?

I'd like to know the trigger that causes it to fail. Mine was working, then it wasn't. Since it went haywire, it has not returned to normal even after quitting and rebooting in days of work. It always selects the next higher buffer in the Control Panel menu, while the one in the Hardware Setup always displays what I believe to be the correct one. (Not sure which one is correct, to tell you the truth.)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

I have tried that Shoosh. To no avail.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Thanks for trying it, and that goes to anyone who tests it.

How about some folks trying the Snip/Comp discombobulation? That is, create a comped track from a number of takes, then try snipping the first few bars out. For me, that's the act of trimming the blank space from the beginning of a track, starting the track at the beginning of the actual recording with no air space. It's one way of eliminating any equipment self-noise from the recording. Naturally, it's one of the last things I do before bouncing a mix.

When I do it, the tracks move by differing amounts. It skews the takes and tracks all out of whack. No rhyme or reason.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I tried out the Buffer setting on Focusrite and Lexicon interfaces and both worked correctly. Both are Class Compliant, so I still think this is a driver issue.

On the problem with Line mode MIDI drawing, you can see in the Event List the interpolation of points on the line drawn is being calculated incorrectly. If you do the same thing in Points mode, it works. The display is not quite as elegant, but the result is the same. Maybe MOTU doesn't regard this as a critical error given there is an way to accomplish the task.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:How about some folks trying the Snip/Comp discombobulation? That is, create a comped track from a number of takes, then try snipping the first few bars out.
I tried it. Two tracks with 3 takes each, tracks starting at different points, with comp edits at different points. I duplicated these, snipped a couple of bars on the original, then dragged the duplicate so it lines up with the original. All appears fine. Is the error you have a small timing deviation that causes clicks, etc, or a large and readily apparent misalignment?
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:
Shooshie wrote:How about some folks trying the Snip/Comp discombobulation? That is, create a comped track from a number of takes, then try snipping the first few bars out.
I tried it. Two tracks with 3 takes each, tracks starting at different points, with comp edits at different points. I duplicated these, snipped a couple of bars on the original, then dragged the duplicate so it lines up with the original. All appears fine. Is the error you have a small timing deviation that causes clicks, etc, or a large and readily apparent misalignment?
It's a huge misalignment. Some tracks shift by more than a couple bars off. Some only by a half bar or so. Interestingly, NONE of them shifted by the amount specified by my selection. I'm about to start working for the afternoon. I'll test it out again and maybe get a screenshot.

For the record, I'm using OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite).

Shooshie
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:
bayswater wrote:
It's a huge misalignment. Some tracks shift by more than a couple bars off. Some only by a half bar or so. Interestingly, NONE of them shifted by the amount specified by my selection. I'm about to start working for the afternoon. I'll test it out again and maybe get a screenshot.

For the record, I'm using OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite).

Shooshie
I just realized what you meant. Yes, if you range select the takes and the comp and snip, the relationship between the comp and the takes is completely lost. If you range select only the comp and snip, you can then shift the comp over to align with the takes, and they will once again line up.

10.10.5 here too.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Not sure about that. I think I had the comps closed, so that the takes did not show. I just did a select all, and limited the range to the beginning of the music, so it was snipping all tracks. Afterward, everything was SNAFU.

When playing the comp, each comped section would jump around, too. They didn't move in a consistent manner relative to each other.

Shoosh
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:Not sure about that. I think I had the comps closed, so that the takes did not show. I just did a select all, and limited the range to the beginning of the music, so it was snipping all tracks. Afterward, everything was SNAFU.

When playing the comp, each comped section would jump around, too. They didn't move in a consistent manner relative to each other.

Shoosh
I tried it again. Hide the takes. Select all with range set for a couple of bars at the start of the recording, and snip.

Now, if I show the takes, I am still able to shift the comp to the right and line it up with the takes.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Not sure about that. I think I had the comps closed, so that the takes did not show. I just did a select all, and limited the range to the beginning of the music, so it was snipping all tracks. Afterward, everything was SNAFU.

Shoosh
I tried it again. Hide the takes. Select all with range set for a couple of bars at the start of the recording, and snip.

Now, if I show the takes, I am still able to shift the comp to the right and line it up with the takes.
The whole part about shifting the comp to line it up with the takes makes me very nervous.

My workaround is to record the track to another track, selecting only what I want in the final bounce. That gives me a soundbite that I can export as a final bounce, or that I can use in the mix. I don't move the comp tracks or their takes, because it just makes me too nervous that there may be even a sample difference somewhere after doing so, which would throw off the whole thing with clicks, comb filtering, aliasing and such. After spending so much time comping those tracks, I don't want anything to go wrong.

Shoosh
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I understand, but I'm not too sure what you think should be happening. When you range select both comps and take, it is a mess. The take boundaries are staying where they were before the snip, but the waveforms in the takes are shifted to the left, so you'd have to redo the comp completely to make any changes.

But if you only select the comp or select all tracks with the take hidden, what ought to be happening? The comp is shifted to the left because of the snip command. It can't really be anywhere else.

Just for clarification, I've have screenshots of what I'm seeing below.

1. A comp from 4 takes, takes showing

2. Take hidden, range selected

3. Snip applied

4. Take showing

5. Comp dragged back in place.

and here's what happens if I snip both the comp and the takes, then shift the comp to the right. The comp boundaries line up, but not the waveforms. Is this what you're seeing?

daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Just gave the buffer thingy a chance:
Values are consistent between Transport Panel and Hardware Driver dialog box on my setup.
BTW, my actual interface is a Behringer X-32 rack. AFAIK it's class compliant.
But 4096 is still missing in Transport Panel only.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Just about to upgrade in a few weeks.... I hope they iron out these bugs as 9.02 sounds like a mess :(
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

daniel.sneed wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Disappearing tracks. Not in UNDO history. Nowhere to be found. Close w/o saving and they reappear. Save first and they're history for good.
As a matter of fact tracks never *disappear*.

Hitting Tab and then hitting any letter, number or word, and DP will show tracks who's name include that letter, number or word (sitting in track selector search area).

I.E. if you hit Tab, then *space* (with spacebar), only tracks including *space* in their names will display. Most of the time that will be no track all.

Give yourself a chance to catch what's going on, with this simple test:
- hit Tab
- hit spacebar
- all your tracks disapear
- hit erase
- all your tracks are back
No magic there, just a brand new DP9.02 search feature!
Need to get used to it, though...
I'll see if that works, but it doesn't sound like my problem. It is possible I hit a key combo as you described, but unlikely. Thanks. Certainly worth a shot.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Shooshie wrote:Regarding the buffer menu in the Control Panel (as opposed to the Hardware Setup Dialog), where choosing a number will actually select the next higher buffer, I wonder if you all are actually selecting a few buffers when looking at it? Have you tried selecting, say, 64, then 1024, then maybe a few others? Have you tried selecting a buffer in the menu, then changing it with the Hardware Setup dialog, then doing it again in the menu?

I'd like to know the trigger that causes it to fail. Mine was working, then it wasn't. Since it went haywire, it has not returned to normal even after quitting and rebooting in days of work. It always selects the next higher buffer in the Control Panel menu, while the one in the Hardware Setup always displays what I believe to be the correct one. (Not sure which one is correct, to tell you the truth.)

Shooshie
I've tried hard to break this, but it just keeps working as expected. Whatever I set it to, it stays set to. 1024 is the highest rate on my T16.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS